PDA

View Full Version : FO - Gorgeous striped scarf

Jan in CA
03-03-2009, 05:41 PM
I just adore this scarf and may wear it in spite of a little itchiness of the yarn. It's so incredibly beautiful I can hardly stand it!

I've always loved Brooklyn Tweed's Noro Striped Scarf (http://brooklyntweed.blogspot.com/2007/04/noro-scarf.html), but with my wool sensitivities I knew that Noro was out. I've been looking for a yarn that has beautiful striping as an alternate that I can tolerate and have found a few to try. The scarf is made with 2 skeins (same color) of Universal Yarns Classic Shades (http://www.universalyarn.com/quality_color.php?quality=133) color 709. It's 70% acrylic, 30% wool and is machine washable. It's a slightly fuzzy yarn which I believe is the cause of the itchies, but the colors are beautiful and it has a nice halo. Because I used two skeins of the same color I had to cut and adjust a few times when the colors ended up being too close to the same. Two skeins of different colors is a better idea.

The pattern is an easy k1,p1 the entire time. I taught myself continental last week so I could do this more easily and I think I may be a convert now. Ribbing is way easier. :thumbsup:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3653/3326874214_d76f27d0a4.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3373/3326874258_89fcedd73a.jpg

evona
03-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Its beautiful Jan :heart: since its machine washable maybe a wash or two will soften it up and make it less itchy for you.

Jan in CA
03-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks, Evona! I washed it once and used fabric softener which did soften it a little, but I can still feel the fuzzies. I'll give it some time before I decide if I can stand it.

GinnyG
03-03-2009, 06:27 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh it is GORGEOUS!

If it stays scractcy just wear it over your coat!

dturner
03-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Those colors are gorgeous! I hope you'll be able to wear it!

Slim
03-03-2009, 06:48 PM
You're right -- it is gorgeous!! Love the colors. I'm sure you'll enjoy wearing it.

Ginnyb
03-03-2009, 06:54 PM
the scarf is beautiful Jan and so is the one from the link you posted. So you use 2 skeins and alternate rows from the 2 skeins? 2 rows each? and just k1, p1?
Ginny

Jan in CA
03-03-2009, 08:44 PM
the scarf is beautiful Jan and so is the one from the link you posted. So you use 2 skeins and alternate rows from the 2 skeins? 2 rows each? and just k1, p1?
Ginny

Yes, you just k1, p1 for two rows, then bring the other color under the previous color, slip the first stitch and k1, p1 for two rows, etc.

Mariblue
03-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Very pretty! :inlove:

dustinac
03-04-2009, 09:58 AM
:inlove: Very pretty!!

At knit night last night a gal was working on this scarf with Noro Silk Garden and I wondered if there was another yarn out there you could use...:think:

Abbily
03-04-2009, 10:37 AM
GORGEOUS!!

margz3
03-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Very pretty Jan!! LOVE the colors! I'm trying to learn continental myself right now! Practicing the knit stitch on none other than a....scarf! (Alternating garter and crossed dropped stitches) Will try something using only purl (probably just a practice swatch) and then try putting them together!

mks22300
03-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Very pretty, I love the colors! :heart:

Jan in CA
03-04-2009, 01:13 PM
At knit night last night a gal was working on this scarf with Noro Silk Garden and I wondered if there was another yarn out there you could use...:think:

That's nice of you! I actually started this quest while looking for something to do entrelac with other than Noro and there are actually a few different choices now. I've used the marble and it's a nice acrylic. Encore like the Classic Shades I tried here is a tad itchy. I don't want cotton really, but it is an alternative and I have some of the Classic Long Print to try. It's got sharp cut offs between the colors so it's limiting though. ~sigh~

Universal Yarn - Classic Long Print and Classic Shades
Knit One Crochet Too - Ty-dy
James C. Brett - Marble
Plymouth Encore - Colorspun

Most of the ones that people list as alterntives are wool, but cheaper I guess. :shrug:

ritaw
03-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Who cares if it itches lol It is wonderful . The colours in the yarn are lovely :)

GirlChris
03-04-2009, 02:46 PM
nice colors!

WandaT
03-06-2009, 08:54 AM
It turned out beautiful Jan! I've been wanting to do this too. Thanks for the idea on alternative yarns. BTW, if after washing it's still too itchy for you to wear, you can just send it to me!! :D

melmac51
03-06-2009, 10:54 AM
That's really very pretty! Love the colors!

Up until a couple of weeks ago, I didn't know which method of knitting I used. Then, I watched some videos of both methods demonstrated, and found out that I knit in the "English" method. I may have to try the "Continental" way too. (I love this site!!! It's so helpful.) :woot: :woot: :woot:

MrsP
03-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Hey Jan!! I think those colors are just so gorgeous! Great job!! I too love the looks of the Noro yarn, but just can't stand the feel of it. So, I am excited to go look at the others you mentioned!

I agree with whoever said that if the scarf is itchy - then wear it on the outside of your coat, or with a turtle neck, so it won't be as close to your skin! And, if you can't stand it, then I am sure you will be able to find it a loving home... :-)

ArtLady1981
03-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Wonderful scarf, Jan! Just beautiful! Looks like it was a fun thing to work on! I love variegated colorways! It's a visual experience on every stitch!

laikabear
03-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Hey nice scarf Jan! :yay:

Another yarn to add to your list is Trendsetter Tonalita. It's supposed to be like Noro. I held it double on my Blue Cardi turned Blue V-Neck with some blue merino. It's not itchy like Noro. You can see the sweaters on my Rav page or my blog, and I have a couple of pics of the yarn in balls on the Rav page. I didn't exactly want to marry it (probably mostly since I had trouble with that #$%@! cardigan), but I liked it, especially the color.

http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/trendsetter-yarns-tonalita

newamy
03-09-2009, 09:13 AM
That's beautiful!!

Jan in CA
03-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the yarn idea, Maureen. I'll check it out at my LYS. I suspect from looking at it that it's going to be the same problem as the one in this scarf. The fuzzier yarns tend to be itchy like mohair.

Thanks everyone!:hug:

MerigoldinWA
03-10-2009, 02:17 AM
Your yarn is beautiful all right. I knit a hat once of those colors and I kept thinking of chocolate and raspberries the whole time. Continental is really nice for ribbing, that is why I switched originally I think. Even if you don't switch for everything it is a nice thing to know and use when it is helpful.

McKnitty
03-11-2009, 08:54 PM
That is also why I switched to Continental a few years ago. I was knitting a ribbed scarf for the Red Scarf Project. The ribbing was taking a toll on my hands and wrists but I had a deadline to meet for the project. I decided to try to learn Continental knitting. It was much easier than I thought, and I finished the scarf on time.

Your scarf is beautiful! I really like the color. You did a great job choosing the yarn. I love the look of Noro, but I can't wear it either.

catwitch
03-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Lovely looking scarf! Did you slip the first stitch as if to purl or knitwise? Was yarn in front or back when you slipped the first stitch.
The edge looks so tidy and neat! Thank you for sharing your work.

Jan in CA
03-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Lovely looking scarf! Did you slip the first stitch as if to purl or knitwise? Was yarn in front or back when you slipped the first stitch.
The edge looks so tidy and neat! Thank you for sharing your work.

Thanks! It was slipped as if to knit (wyib) then the last stitch was purled. If I remember correctly. ;)

KnittingNat
03-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Jan, it's beautiful!!! I'm mad at myself for not noticing it earlier:hair:
Did you try washing it with shampoo and soaking in hair conditioner or alternatively use the fiber wash and rinse stuff. I'm sure it will soften a lot:thumbsup: I just love it!

Jan in CA
03-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Jan, it's beautiful!!! I'm mad at myself for not noticing it earlier:hair:
Did you try washing it with shampoo and soaking in hair conditioner or alternatively use the fiber wash and rinse stuff. I'm sure it will soften a lot:thumbsup: I just love it!

Thanks, Nat! I did wash it in Woolite and just used my regular fabric softener. It is much softer, but those darn fuzzies (guard hairs?) are probably adding to the itchiness. It's not horribly itchy so I may still wear it. I need a cold day to test it though. :thumbsup:

Jaxhil
03-16-2009, 06:54 AM
that is really, really pretty, Jan!!