PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Fibres Part II

Crycket
03-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Hello...

The reason the title shows part II is cause I swear I have asked this question before, however, I believe I am asking more this time...

I want to do a sock in contrasting colours...

For those of you who might remember, I purchased some Possum yarn....(40% Possum, 50% Merino, 10% silk)

It IS for sure a fingering weight yarn...

NOW....

I have also gotten some Knitpicks Imagination Yarn (50% Superwash, 25% Superfine Alpaca, 25% Nylon)

It has recently been said that the latter should not be machine washed, because, even with the best of intentions...the alpaca (being the only non superwash fiber left) the sock will felt over time...

So here is my question...do you think I could use the two fibres together, as it appears that any sock I make in it will have to be hand washed anyway...or is there still an issue with fibre mixing?

I realize that the best way to find out, would be to swatch and find out...but I am lazy, and figured that someone MUST know....

I know it might be an issue if throwing into the washer, but if hand washing (in Eucalan?) it really shouldn't matter....right?

*smiles* thanks!

Ingrid
03-05-2009, 10:12 PM
My issue with mixing fibers is only in the washing. If you're willing to wash by hand, then I'd say go for it.

Crycket
03-06-2009, 12:14 AM
I don't think I have a choice, I have to wash by hand...the alpaca is going to felt, and the possum is too...*shrugs*

But I guess you did answer my question....hand washing negates the fibre issue....Thanks *winks*