PDA

View Full Version : knitting an edge on fleece?

JenA
03-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Hello out there,

I am looking to make a lap blanket for somebody. I saw instructions as to how to crochet an edge on a fleece blanket, but I want to know if I can knit an edge on fleece and if so what do i do? Thanks:)

Craw
03-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Don't know for sure but I don't think it could be done. You could knit an edging and sew it on but since there's no stitches to pick up, I don't see how one would start it attached to the blanket. :?? Maybe just crochet the initial round and then pick up those stitches?

Woodi
03-07-2009, 03:02 PM
I have done something similar, by first embroidering a 'blanket stitch' (I think it's also called 'buttonhole stitch') all around the blanket, using embroidery floss in many strands, for strength. This makes the loops which becomes your first 'row' that you can now knit into. Does this make sense to you?
You can see a video of blanket stitch on youtube.

globaltraveler
03-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Take a crochet hook, preferably metal as it'll go through the fleece easier, and poke it through the edge of your fleece. Yarn over and pull the yarn through the fleece. Put the loop onto a knitting needle. Poke the crochet hook through again at a spacing suitable for the gauge of your your yarn. Pick up the working thread and pull it through the fleece, and put that stitch onto the knitting needle next to the first one. Do it again ad nauseum until you have enough stitches picked up. Knit your edging!

If you want a slightly more stable edge and are willing to futz with the tension a bit, you can chain 1 after pulling the thread through the fleece and put that chain onto the needle instead of the first loop, which some/most people feel looks neater.

This is the way you crochet an edging onto any fabric, actually, but in this case you want to knit, so you have to put the loops onto a needle. Definitely practice on some scraps of fleece first so you can figure out how you have to deal with tension and gauge!

Craw
03-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Take a crochet hook, preferably metal as it'll go through the fleece easier, and poke it through the edge of your fleece. Yarn over and pull the yarn through the fleece. Put the loop onto a knitting needle.

ooooh, good idea! I've seen a tool for making the holes and then they're evenly spaced. It's called an edgery doo (http://www.edgerydoo.com/catalog.html).