PDA

View Full Version : Finished! My first beret

hheartstrongg
03-07-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm a beginner and before this, have knitted a scarf. That's it. I taught myself to knit from the internet and a book my mom got, and any mistakes were helped with here :) So I decided to tackle this beret for my best friends birthday and finished it JUST in time.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/_MiserablexBliss_/CIMG0822.jpg

It was surprisingly easy for me being a beginner. I did buy the wrong wool, so at first it was too small, and I had to rip it out. Then the pattern was doubled and it's now too big. Also, when the pattern was doubled there was a row of purling that should have been knitting, causing a line to show in the finished hat. Next time I do it, I'll be aware of that and fix it!

Anyway, I'll probably show this to my friend and tell her that I will makeher a better one, it will just be late haha. And i love how soft it is!!

ladytruckdriver
03-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Wow, you're really doing good! I've not tried any kind of clothing yet. Just dish cloths and working on my second afghan. Keep up the good work.

Slim
03-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Way to go! It's okay if it's a bit big -- the slouchy look is in. If it's wool you could always try to shrink it just a bit, too. I love the color.

Arielluria
03-07-2009, 08:37 PM
That is great! WAY better than my first one! Your friend will be so thankful! Is that Caron Simply Soft? I like the sheen.

MrsP
03-08-2009, 09:33 AM
I think it looks great! And, as people have reminded me - if you don't point out the flaws to your friends, then they will never notice a mistake! I doubt that she would ever notice a row of purls and if she did, she would probably think they were there on purpose!! :-)

I say give it to her and see how if fits her - she might LOVE it and not want a different one! :-)

I am so glad that you were able to finish it!

WandaT
03-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Congrats to you!! It looks wonderful! :)

dustinac
03-08-2009, 11:04 AM
:yay:Congrats on your first beret it looks good!

hheartstrongg
03-08-2009, 01:46 PM
haha thanks guys :D
no, even if i wanted to shrink it i couldn't because the wool on the package said it won't shrink.
and she does love it but wishes the line of purling wasn't there, and we actually could fit the hat on two people, haha.
so i'm going to rip it all out and start over and try and make it smaller and fit better. :) at least i know i can do it!

wezyus
03-08-2009, 01:49 PM
nice n cool colour

GirlChris
03-09-2009, 12:07 PM
looks great and you are doing a grea thing by trying something new each time you knit. that's how I learn. Just pick something I wish I knew how to do but don't and by the end I at least know how to do it if not well. LOL

hheartstrongg
03-09-2009, 02:46 PM
looks great and you are doing a grea thing by trying something new each time you knit. that's how I learn. Just pick something I wish I knew how to do but don't and by the end I at least know how to do it if not well. LOL

haha exactly! that's the only way to learn is by trying :)

AH1OZ
03-09-2009, 03:58 PM
it does look a little big, but it works for a beret.. good work!

lelvsdgs
03-09-2009, 11:44 PM
You've done a terrific job! Congrats on your first beret!

MerigoldinWA
03-10-2009, 02:27 AM
You are definitely on the right track. I'm sure you will be able to get your second effort to fit just right. You show you have what it takes to be a knitter by your willingness to take it out and do it again. Good first hat!!

ArtLady1981
03-11-2009, 07:18 AM
Good for you! Very nice work! Thanks for sharing your experience with us!!! Keep up the good knitting!