PDA

View Full Version : I made my very first...

knitpurlgurl
03-08-2009, 07:14 PM
non-rectangular crocheted item!! :woot: A beret crocheted out of Rowan Tapestry. I'm so psyched. It has a few boo-boos (but you can't seem them when worn), but I learned alot working this beret.

MGM
03-08-2009, 07:16 PM
VERY nice! Love the colors! Your stitching looks smooth and even and that flower is a nice finishing touch!

Great job!

Is it for you or some other lucky person?

MGM

knitpurlgurl
03-09-2009, 06:48 AM
I started out making it for my grandma who is undergoing chemo - but since it has some mistakes, I'll keep it and crochet up another for my grandma (now that I know how to crochet this hat). Since it crocheted up in a jif, I should have another one whipped up pretty quickly. I want my grandma's hat to be perfect!

katknit
03-09-2009, 01:47 PM
That's fantastic! Congratulations on a new milestone!:cheering:

saracidaltendencies
03-09-2009, 05:03 PM
How pretty, great job!

PamJ
03-09-2009, 10:27 PM
That is beautiful! Is the pattern on-line? Prayers for your grandma.

knitpurlgurl
03-13-2009, 07:40 AM
That is beautiful! Is the pattern on-line? Prayers for your grandma.

Yes! The pattern can be found here (http://yarnkrazy.wordpress.com/2008/11/24/pattern-simple-beret/)! It was a great beginner project for me.

Update: I did give it to my grandma afterall and she gushed over it! I don't think she even noticed any mistakes!!

OffJumpsJack
03-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Yes! The pattern can be found here (http://yarnkrazy.wordpress.com/2008/11/24/pattern-simple-beret/)! It was a great beginner project for me.

Update: I did give it to my grandma afterall and she gushed over it! I don't think she even noticed any mistakes!!

Of course not! It is a beautiful hat and I'm sure your grandmother wouldn't dream of "inspecting" a gift showing such love.

:yay: Now you can make another for yourself and start a girls club.

I've learned all you girls like to do those kind of silly things. ;)

--Jack

Craw
03-14-2009, 11:06 AM
The hat came out very pretty and the flower is a nice extra! :cheering: Crocheting in the round was not that hard was it? Just takes learning to join rounds, which I'm guessing is what you did.

knitpurlgurl
03-14-2009, 01:17 PM
The hat came out very pretty and the flower is a nice extra! :cheering: Crocheting in the round was not that hard was it? Just takes learning to join rounds, which I'm guessing is what you did.

It wasn't too hard.. just had to be careful to pay attention to counting the sc(s) so that I ended each round with the correct number. Also, the joining was finicky at first until I figured out exactly where and how to join evenly. Then it went much better. It was a great learning project for a brand-spankin'-new crocheter like myself. :)

knitpurlgurl
03-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Of course not! It is a beautiful hat and I'm sure your grandmother wouldn't dream of "inspecting" a gift showing such love.

:yay: Now you can make another for yourself and start a girls club.

I've learned all you girls like to do those kind of silly things. ;)

--Jack

LOL! Yes, we like to wear matching hats in various contrasting colors and form ladies' social clubs. However, my dear Jack, I'm a little young for the Red Hats yet. :flirt:

I am actually knitting a beret right now. But I will crochet another.. and soon! Crochet works up SO fast! SO much faster than knitting (especially since I'm a slow knitter).

My grammie could see a million flaws and gush over it because I made it for her. I bet she'd hang it on the fridge if she could!! ;p

Craw
03-14-2009, 01:33 PM
I bet she'd hang it on the fridge if she could!! ;p

Stick a magnet on the back and I bet she will! :wink: :mrgreen: Crochet does go so much faster, doesn't it? I knit slow as well. I just finished knitting a potholder that took a little over a week while I can crochet a potholder in a little over an hour! LOL

LindaG51
03-14-2009, 02:22 PM
:cheering: You did a great job if this was your first crochet project.

You can also crochet hats in a spiral if you do only single or half double crochets. There is no joining each round together- just go round & round like in circular knitting.