PDA

View Full Version : Crochet a chain

ABMama
03-08-2009, 08:23 PM
OK, I know this is a knitting forum, BUT....

I usually knit I cord for drawstrings but honestly find it very tedious. I would like to crochet a drawstring instead. I can do the simple chain BUT it seems very tiny/thin. How do I make it a thicker, more substantial chain? Any tips from someone who knits well but knows little to nothing of crochet? I only have 2 hooks, BTW - G and D. I've been using the G since it's closer to the size 8 I used to knit the shorts.

TIA!

Jan in CA
03-08-2009, 08:42 PM
You could double the yarn and get a much more substantial chain. :thumbsup:

ABMama
03-08-2009, 08:58 PM
You could double the yarn and get a much more substantial chain. :thumbsup:

ooh, i'll try that.

I also thought to ask in the crochet forum that I never realized was here, since I never use it!! :wink: That might help, huh?!?

of troy
03-09-2009, 12:30 PM
a bit harder but twice as thick (and in 2 colors very pretty)

tie two strands of yarn together into a slip knot.
put on a crochet hook

chain 1 color A
next chain 1 color b
continue to alternate A & B

bind off by cutting both yarns and passing both yarn through last loop and pulling snug.

Craw
03-09-2009, 12:55 PM
What I do is chain then slip st back up the chain. Makes it a little sturdier and looks closer to an i cord. Double strand of yarn and then slip stitching back up the chain would be extra sturdy.

Mike
03-09-2009, 01:57 PM
G is pretty small.
Just like 8 is a common needle for worsted I would be the more common hook for worsted.

cricket22
03-09-2009, 02:04 PM
I crochet a chain and then single crochet 1 row across. It turns out fairly thick and is much faster than making an I cord.