PDA

View Full Version : crochet drawstring question

ABMama
03-08-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm a knitter and the only thing I know about crochet is how to make a chain (at least I think that's what it's called - I can start with the loop and make a chain of stitches from there). I want to make a crocheted drawstring for my knitted shorts. What do I do to make a nice, round-like drawstring, thick enough to be a drawstring but not flat?

I've followed a couple of tutorials thinking a double chain or half double chain would give me what I want, but that's actually just making a flat fabric. That's not what I want. I want a chain, but thicker than what a "chain" typically is. Any advice? I'm using a G size hook, since that's what I have, and worsted weight wool.

MGM
03-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Have you tried knitting i-cord? That would make a round, thick drawstring.

The only thing I can think of for crocheting a round cord might be to do a chain the length you want your cord, then do a row of single crochet, or maybe two, then slip stitch along the length into the beginning chain.

Interesting question. I might have to try this out and see what I can come up with. Let us know what you end up with as I'm sure others will be interested too.

MGM

ABMama
03-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Have you tried knitting i-cord? That would make a round, thick drawstring.

The only thing I can think of for crocheting a round cord might be to do a chain the length you want your cord, then do a row of single crochet, or maybe two, then slip stitch along the length into the beginning chain.

Interesting question. I might have to try this out and see what I can come up with. Let us know what you end up with as I'm sure others will be interested too.

MGM

actually knitting I cord is what I usually do. I love the way it looks, but it is tedious to knit. not difficult, but tedious. i've heard that crocheting a drawstring is faster and less tedious, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I decided to just crochet a chain with two strands of yarn, and i like it well enough until i find something i like better! thanks!

labeelady
03-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Make the chain as long as you want, then turn and slip stitch in every chain to the end.

OffJumpsJack
03-16-2009, 08:55 AM
Make the chain as long as you want, then turn and slip stitch in every chain to the end.

Yes that method does make more of a finished cord and should be more stable in length than just a simple chain with two strands of yarn.

There are also more elaborate chains; I think one is called a lobster claw stitch. I'll scan my bookmarks and come back and edit them in.

I found three cord stitches at Daphne's Tutorial: Know How (II) (http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Cottage/3606/knowhow2.html#Slip%20stitch%20cord) with the first being the slip stitch cord.

Her drawings show you how the slip stitch is done in the bottom loop or hump of the chain and not in either of the top loops. I find Daphne's tutorials of such help that I printed them out and keep a copy in my pattern binder for a quick off-line reference.

suzeeq
03-16-2009, 11:32 AM
You could also try casting on enough stitches for the length, then binding off on the 1st/next row.

OffJumpsJack
03-20-2009, 08:25 AM
You could also try casting on enough stitches for the length, then binding off on the 1st/next row.

Sue, Sue, Sue, leave it to you to suggest a knitting answer to a "crochet drawstring question." ;)

( propos du nom de plume) :)