PDA

View Full Version : Knitting in school

katknit
03-09-2009, 01:57 PM
A private school has made knitting part of their curriculum:cheering:
http://danceswithwool.wordpress.com/2009/03/09/knitting-news-elementary-school-curriculum/

There are many different ways to learn the basics.....

imrachel
03-09-2009, 02:30 PM
This is great, but this article was interesting in that Waldorf schools have been doing this for decades. I thought is has always been part of their program. They make the needles themselves, and in some schools, spin the wool, also.

OxxxAmandaxxxO
03-09-2009, 05:01 PM
I got taught how to sew and knit (Basics) in infant school. We started off with finger knitting. :D Mind you I was taught in the seventies. *Blushes at showing my age!* :p )

knitasha
03-09-2009, 06:50 PM
A number of progressive private schools teach knitting and other fiber arts as a way of helping children focus their attention, improve manual dexterity. As imrachel says, the Waldorf Schools start teaching knitting and crochet in first or second grade. Many of the Montessori schools also introduce knitting and crochet in the early grades. My granddaughter goes to one, and it's a pleasure to see the calm concentration of the kids as they complete one stitch after another with colored yarn and wooden needles.

It's too bad that most public (and private and parochial) schools are so test-oriented that they do do not have time for "slow" crafts that can develop kids' math and motor skills as they learn the joy of creating beautiful things.

knittingincarolina
03-10-2009, 12:30 PM
I think this is a great idea. Not only does it help with hand-eye coordinations, it's a good way to teach math.

Arielluria
03-14-2009, 12:08 AM
That's awesome! :woot:

nanataughtmetoknit
03-14-2009, 06:12 PM
That's kind of neat. I am a subatitute teacher,and when I sub at a high school I bring my latest project along with me. In one high school I am known as "The knitting substitute"!

knittingincarolina
03-15-2009, 12:20 PM
That's kind of neat. I am a subatitute teacher,and when I sub at a high school I bring my latest project along with me. In one high school I am known as "The knitting substitute"!

Knitting is a great conversation starter and who knows you might find a budding knitter. I had a sub in elementary school who would bring her husband's pants and tailor them.

Kattra
03-15-2009, 05:22 PM
If I had, had a knitting substitute when I was little she would have been stuck in the room during lunch because I would have refused to leave tell she tought me.