PDA

View Full Version : help choosing yarn for Urban Aran

laikabear
03-10-2009, 07:18 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this question...

I already have the pattern, I just need yarn suggestions. The pattern is the Urban Aran (or possibly Jared Flood's mod Urban Aran Cardigan) by Patons. It is in the booklet "Street Smart."

15 stitches and 20 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch is the gauge.

I'd like something in wool, possibly with a tweed or heathered effect. My LYS had some Debbie Bliss Chunky Donegal Tweed knitted into a sweater that was surprisingly soft. But, I was told it won't work because it is too chunky.

Anyone have some ideas which are nice but not exorbitant? :mrgreen:

Jan in CA
03-10-2009, 01:27 PM
I see it calls for Patons Shetland Chunky. Did you know they make Shetland Chunky Tweed (http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/patons-shetland-chunky-tweeds)? I've used it and liked it a lot and it is a good price. Also the right gauge.

If you want something other than acrylic/wool blend I'll have to let others figure that one out. ;)

laikabear
03-10-2009, 07:54 PM
PERFECT!!! I had not seen that yarn before. Thanks Jan!

Jan in CA
03-10-2009, 08:47 PM
PERFECT!!! I had not seen that yarn before. Thanks Jan!

You're welcome! :yay:

laikabear
03-11-2009, 02:13 AM
You know what, I had heard the recommended yarn for this pattern was discontinued. I didn't even do a search for Patons to begin with! I am still undecided between this and Elann Peruvian Highland Chunky. But it's definitely going to be one or the other. They both seem affordable, at least.

Jan in CA
03-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Really? It doesn't say it's discontinued anywhere that I can see. It's pretty popular so it doesn't make sense. :shrug:

Arielluria
03-11-2009, 03:17 PM
I love Paton's Classic Wool Merino and since it's a Paton's pattern I bet it would be perfect. I like their dark grey color (not sure the exact color name, but you can see it on my Rav page). I thought that color WAS "tweedy. I used it for my Oblique Cardigan as well as Peanut's Aran Dog Sweater. Both can be seen by going to my Ravelry projects page (link below).

Jan in CA
03-11-2009, 03:52 PM
She needs chunky though.

laikabear
03-13-2009, 03:50 AM
Well, I really wanted to see that Elann in person and I was ordering color cards... But it seemed silly to spend $25 for a couple color cards and shipping and not get any yarn. So, I ordered enough yarn for the Urban Aran, too! :) I may use it for the project, or maybe I'll get some Patons this weekend when I visit Joanns. :woohoo:

Jan in CA
03-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Then you'd have enough for two sweaters! :thumbsup: