PDA

View Full Version : Pets & Paper Shredders

Arielluria
03-11-2009, 03:46 PM
This is an old warning, most have undoubtedly heard it but I don't want to assume that.

If you have a paper shredder which automatically turns on when some paper is inserted, make sure you cover it when not using, or unplug it as some pets have been harmed by stepping in the paper receptacle. What I do is I place a pretty wicker tray over mine - which also turns an ugly shredder into a side table and a place for me to set my coffee cup.
:flirt:

Jan in CA
03-11-2009, 03:57 PM
It's not that I don't believe you, Lu, but I always check first and Snopes says it's true. :(
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/shredder.asp

Arielluria
03-11-2009, 04:06 PM
:hug:Jan, perfectly alright, I appreciate it! I wouldn't want to perpetuate a rumor. I should have added such a link, but was just going on previous knowledge from working with rescues.

bambi
03-11-2009, 04:35 PM
I have one but I leave it in the closet, unplugged, and take it out only occasionally to use when my little daughter is safely away!

Bambi

bailsmom
03-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Oh goodness. We have one, but I always keep it unplugged. I never would have even guessed that that could happen to our little ones paws.

Thanks for the heads up! I really appreciate it. I'll let my mom know too. :thumbsup:

Arielluria
03-11-2009, 04:45 PM
I have one but I leave it in the closet, unplugged, and take it out only occasionally to use when my little daughter is safely away!

BambiGood point, I don't have kids so I hadn't even thought of them being in peril, but seeing mommy and daddy sticking things in the machine might make them try it too! Thanks for mentioning that!

figaro
03-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Thank goodness ours in unplugged unless we are using it but I would have thought that dogs and cats with long hair would be in more danger? A long hair cat laying on top or a dog with a long coat and tail wagging it...I never would have thought that a dog would lick the top of one?

Arielluria
03-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Stepping on it is might dangerous too, and if you have cats or little dogs you know they just walk wherever they want without knowing there's any harm around.

mwhite
03-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Great posting, Lu! You might add a printer to this warning as well...our shop kitties come running when the printer is in use and we've caught them sticking their paws into it to try and pull out whatever is making that noise! Could cause harm as well...Mary

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
03-15-2009, 07:13 PM
i have a moron cat that does that too. she constantly tries to stick her paw in by the rollers to bat at the paper coming out (despite the fact that the cats aren't allowed in my home office/craft room!)

we just recently invested in a wireless laser printer (100 bucks at bestbuy) so i can print from my laptop without having to haul the printer out to whatever table i'm using for my laptop at the time (printer stays in the office, which has a door that's closed 99% of the time unless someone's in there)