PDA

View Full Version : Casting On

CookiesLady
03-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Hi, I'm getting ready to start an afghan and I'm not sure which cast-on method is the best to use and can chenille yarn be used?

imrachel
03-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Depending on the pattern sts of the afghan, is how you would determine which cast on. But if they don't say anything except "cast on X number of sts", then I, personally, would just use the long tail. As for chenille-- it can be a difficult yarn to work with, and I wouldn't recommend it for an afghan. It tends to leave big loops in the fabric you've created and can shift and look as if you knit it on the bias. But the other issue is that it can be very "sheddy"-- do you want that in your afghan? Also, again, it depends on the stitch patterns used. If it's cabled, I would never use something like chenille, which will hide your stitch definition.

suzeeq
03-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Either the longtail, cable or knitted CO can work well. If you have Lion chenille, it's awful to work with, though the bulky stuff isn't as bad as the thin version. I bought a skein of the regular, thinking it would make a nice velvetlike scarf. That was about 4 years ago, and I still haven't figured out how to use it, it's been knit and ripped a few times.