PDA

View Full Version : Why You Knit

Abiah
03-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Hi Everyone!

First of all, brand new to knitting. Tried to learn it a few years ago, but real life got in the way and I stopped. Some odd reason, I found myself driving to Michael's and buying knitting supplies the other day to try again, and this time, it just all clicked! Things that were confusing before, worked this time (Thanks to the knittinghelp.com videos!) :rofl: I really got how to read patterns and how to do things that looked scary like cables!

So I was wondering what makes you all knit...why do you enjoy this not so cheap and time consuming past time?

For me, I have Type 1 diabetes and a very cruddy complication of neropathy of the stomach, that has left me disabled at 25, having to live with my parents and too sick to work. I get BORED easily, because I don't tend to go out too often because my immune system isn't very up to par. So as someone super creative, I really wanted to find a new craft to relax with when I'm feeling icky sicky. Also, my sis sells jewelry and have been inspired to try and learn a craft I too could sell one day...that's a far off dream, but hey...good to have goals!

So why does everyone else knit?

*HUGGLES*:hug:
Alexis

blueygh2
03-12-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm returning home each weekend, that makes me 5 hours of train (2,5 one way). On ONE train. Normally I would have to take another one (ride: half an hour) that leaves 5 minutes after we arrive. And we don't always make it on time, so one more hour to wait for the next train. But generally someone picks me up.

Still. When you're taking the train on a regular basis, like I do, reading just won't do. Somewhen you feel sick of it. So I decided to try myself at knitting.

But normally, now, I don't knit on the train anymore.
(Mostly because I'm knitting lace almost all the time, and when you do lace, better not make mistakes. Moreover, I don't like being stared at. Makes my body temperature rise ... and sweaty hands are not good for knitting)

As for your goal, I see so many garments and scarves and things that look hand-made, and they could be hand-made as well. I think that someday you'll sell. I believe in you.

Have you tried crochet?

I like that as well. Good for taking around with you.

Mike
03-12-2009, 05:27 PM
I started crochet because of panic disorder/agorophobia.
I started knitting to make stuff other than blankets, crochet doesn't make good guy cloths.

globaltraveler
03-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Because I love making things! I especially love making beautiful things and using beautiful tools to do it with. It makes me feel like both a lady of leisure (ha!) and a busy bee at the same time. I love being creative. And I love making little (and big!) gifts for people.

Jan in CA
03-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Welcome to Knitting Help!

Good for you for learning to knit! It's funny how it can seem so confusing one day and it all clicks the next. I experienced this last week as I was trying to learn to knit continental. It seemed all of a sudden I just "got it!" :teehee:

I crocheted off and on for 30 yrs and have been knitting for 3.5 yrs. I much preferred the look of the knitted fabric so I decided to learn. I love it and all my other hobbies have gone by the wayside in favor of knitting now. So basically, I knit because I like being creative and enjoy the process of knitting as much as the product. :thumbsup:

sorifes
03-12-2009, 05:47 PM
As a Medium once told me, I like to play with sticks.

I like doing it and I feel better when I make people things and they're all happy about it. I guess I do it cause it makes me feel good.

cresmoon
03-12-2009, 07:58 PM
My story is actually a lot like yours, Alexis. Have health problems myself both physical and mental health, still living at home at 28 though I can work - I'm having trouble finding a permanent job due to the economy, just suddenly felt the urge to learn to knit one day, and here I am! I do find (unless it's my imagination?) that it helps me cope with my mental health problems: ADD/ADHD, depression, anxiety, etc. And I'm also extremely creative and love arts and crafts, always have (used to be a jewelry make too) and I love making things for myself and friends. So there it is.

Oh, and welcome! :)

knitpurlgurl
03-12-2009, 08:37 PM
I learned to knit so that I could teach my autistic son how to knit. Knitting has been known to be very therapeutic and anxiety/stress relieving in spectrum kiddos. But once I got hooked, I kept knitting for my own stress/anxiety relief and a creative outlet. I rarely finish projects. I'm the consumate process knitter. Even though it started out as something for my son, it has turned into the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Now, my son & I knit together. :D

LadyFirelyght
03-12-2009, 09:03 PM
I spent 6 months actively searching for a job. Not even pizza places would hire me! I asked my hubby if he'd support me learning to knit with the hopes of being able to sell my goods if/when I got good enough. He said yes, and here we are 6 months later and I'm designing my own stuff, and I have just begun listing items on Etsy. Haven't sold anything yet, but I'm crossing my fingers!

TEMA
03-12-2009, 09:40 PM
I used to knit all the time decades ago - got about 40 Buffalo sweaters done - one for every family member but I got tired of knitting those great big raglin sleeves that seemed to take longer than the body of the beast and I quit to begin quilting.
Now it's about 3 decades later and I'm back to knitting.
My health suffered and quilting became impossible but I still wanted to create something so I picked up some needles and started off again with simple scarves and hats.
I found I had completely forgotten everything I ever knew about knitting but I found this site and the wonderful videos and they have helped me immeasureably (not to mention the great advice..):thumbsup:
I'm still on my first big sweater since the Buffalo ones and I've knit it twice (now doing my 3rd try) and enjoying every minute of it.
I discovered that I had the wrong idea about knitting when I used to do it. It's not all about the finished product - its about the process... the meditative feel of repetition, the click of the needles and in the end, the pride of accomplishment.
At least, that's how I see it.
TEMA:knitting:

AH1OZ
03-12-2009, 09:49 PM
i knit because it is fun

i was visiting my aunt in Turks and Caicos over march break when i was in high school and there was nothing to do at night beside sit on the couch and watch golf with my uncle, watch my aunt knit, or read. i finished my book i brought the first night. second night i watched her knit. the 3rd night i had knitting needles in my hand. by the 6th night i was heading home with my dishcloth and a new passion for knitting.

i have been knitting for 8 years now.

i can't just sit and watch tv... which is what my husband loves to do. so we sit together on the couch with our 3 month old son, chat, cuddle, he watches tv, i knit... its fun

Kattra
03-13-2009, 04:12 AM
Where to start... it feels like I have alwats croshet we lived with my grandmother when I was in 1st grade and she corshet and thought me how... just the simple strate rows... I think that was all she could do... Her grandma knit and croshet but she never did get the nack for knitting and her mother and sibs didn't.

My mom and sibs never learned what she had to teach... But she helped me learn what she had to teach and always sed I should learn to knit. I did not understand why she thought it was so inporten.

I have Asperger Syndrome we did not know that tell I was out of high school. They thought I had ADHD... My mom was a single pairent... A Grandma went throw hell with me when I was a scared confused kid who just knew she was diftrent and that the only ones willing to be her friends at school abused her trust and friendship. She help me when I had screaming fits because I wanted my mom. She read to be when I was loanly and needed to hear another voise. She sat throw endless tea parties. And vere yeld at me when I made a mess of her kitchen trying to cook dinner for the family.

Looking back I know I must have been a trile and a brat so lost in her own anger pain and confusion that she vere rilised how hard she was making life for an old woman with a kind heart.

She died when I was 13... I wanted to learn for her I guess it was my way of saying thank you and goodbye...

I tried to learn on my own so many times over the years but I am a visula person I had to see it being done.

I thought I had given up then early list month I just... I needed to try again one last time. So I asked the first random person I talk to on the knit it they knew of a web sight to teach me.

I was luck the person I asked was a friend and he knits... I pointed me to a good web sight and the next day I bot yarn and needles... I have been knitting ever sents...

Grandma knew some thing all the docters that kept giving me pills to calm be down when I was in school didn't.

I needed knitting... I calms and senters me... It is not about what you have when your done it is about the yarn and needles and that calm senter they help you fined....

I wish she was here to day so I could thank her with out her I might never have found knitting.

Even more I wish I had been old enough to know just how much she ment to me.

Abiah
03-13-2009, 04:43 AM
i can't just sit and watch tv... which is what my husband loves to do. so we sit together on the couch with our 3 month old son, chat, cuddle, he watches tv, i knit... its fun

I'm the same way! I think it may be my age. Being 25, I'm used to having some form of active thing to do while watching TV; being on the computer, doing some form of creative project...SOMETHING! I get so bored when I just have to sit and watch TV, that I need to have something to do. Being that my health doesn't agree to doing ACTIVE things, I find knitting fits the bill perfectly. Nothing better than zoning out on knitting when ya feel nauseous! ;)

Thanks everyone for the warm hellos and sharing your stories!

Alexis

cindycactus
03-13-2009, 09:16 AM
Kattra said it best. It is just so calming and relaxing. I can pick up my needles and start to knit and everything is now just fine. Besides I have two little great granddaughter who need socks, mittens, etc. :knitting:

divagirl
03-13-2009, 11:39 AM
I knit because it's way cheaper than therapy! Knitting is very calming for me... I can let my mind relax because my body as something to do. Helps me with my impatient streak as well...watching it all unfold as i go along is like magic! cloud9

yarnpiggy
03-13-2009, 11:59 AM
I originally learned to knit to prove to myself that I could. I didn't think I had a creative bone in my body. As it turned out, I am a lot more creative than I have myself credit for, and I was soon quite addicted. Not only was it something to do, but it produced results!
Then, I ended up taking over a year off. On December 19, 2007, my life as I knew it changed in a very significant way. My 19 year old sister was murdered. On December 23, her ex boyfriend (father to her 2 year old son) was arrested for her murder. My sister had recently started letting the ex have overnight visitation with their son. She went December 19 to pick him up (it was the first time she'd ever gone alone), and she never arrived back home to my mom's house. The ex had punched her so hard in the face that he knocked her out, then he fashioned a ligature out of shoelaces and strangled her so hard that she had a half inch "ligature furrow" in her neck. To hide his crime, he put her body in her car, drove it to a nearby city, and set it on fire. My two year old nephew was now left wtihout a mommy, and a few days later, without a daddy. Life was turned upside down.
I didn't have the energy for life. It took all I had to wake up every day and go to work...to just LIVE. I was also planning my wedding at the time. So, life was just hectic and I was just tired.
The murderer's trial began in October, 2008. I picked up the needles when jury selection began. I found myself full of anxiety to the point where I just felt like jumping out of my skin--I didn't know what to do with myself! Knitting helped calm my mind and helped "turn off" all of the over thinking I was doing. It was very helpful in the week ahead as I attended every single day of the trial, which was emotionally and mentally exhausting. Knitting was my therapy, and it was healing...it helped me ease my anxiety and depression, and it helped me calm my mind enough to actually sleep at night.
Now I'm back to enjoying the process and enjoying what I create. Kntting helped save me, I think. It's helping me to move on and live again, which is what my sister would've wanted.

AH1OZ
03-13-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm the same way! I think it may be my age. Being 25, I'm used to having some form of active thing to do while watching TV; being on the computer, doing some form of creative project...SOMETHING! I get so bored when I just have to sit and watch TV, that I need to have something to do. Being that my health doesn't agree to doing ACTIVE things, I find knitting fits the bill perfectly. Nothing better than zoning out on knitting when ya feel nauseous! ;)

Thanks everyone for the warm hellos and sharing your stories!

Alexis

must be the age! i'm 24!

AH1OZ
03-13-2009, 12:38 PM
I knit because it's way cheaper than therapy!

so true!
haha

Jan in CA
03-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Oh Yarnpiggy! :pout: I'm so sorry! :hug:

knittingincarolina
03-13-2009, 12:57 PM
I knit because it is something I enjoy. It helps me relax, and like divagirl said 'it's cheaper than therapy'. We have started a knitting circle at the nursing home where I work and we've even got some of the residents involved. The ones that can't knit, love to come for the conversation. It's also a good diet aide, you can't knit and snack at the same time.:wink:

globaltraveler
03-13-2009, 02:19 PM
My goodness, yarnpiggy...I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your sister and your family...you must miss her so much. Hugs to you all...and especially to your nephew.

LadyFirelyght
03-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Yarnpiggy, your post has me in tears. I'm so sorry for your loss. :hug:

biztec
03-13-2009, 03:30 PM
What an amazing exercise! Here we are, practically strangers, sharing intimate details of our lives: hurts, pains, joys, trials, etc. I feel part of a huge family, and that is a wonderful feeling. I do needlework for all the many reasons everyone has mentioned. I think the calming effect is almost primal. I feel so blessed to be able to use my hands.

Lieuvena
03-13-2009, 03:35 PM
I just knit because I like it :)

A little over a year ago (Feb 1, 2008) my 4th child was born and a friend of ours gave her a baby blanket. I loved it. Then she told me she knit it herself and I was floored! I decided right then that I wanted to learn. She showed me the basics. Cast on, knit, cast off. We don't get to see each other often so when I wanted to learn more I found this site and have been slowly teaching myself as I go since.

I love the feeling of finishing a project and knowing that I made it and that there's not another one exactly like it anywhere. I also find it relaxing...most of the time! I don't get to knit as often as I like though because I usually have to wait for the kids to go to bed.

So I guess the short answer would be...fun and relaxation. :mrgreen:

MoniDew
03-13-2009, 04:22 PM
:grphug: :hug: yarnpiggy :hug: :grphug:

I knit for the creativity and mental stimulation. I knit to produce things of beauty for those I love. I knit to pass time, soothe and comfort myself. I knit for all the reasons, spoken and unspoken, listed here.

luvmykid28
03-13-2009, 08:55 PM
It's also a good diet aide, you can't knit and snack at the same time.:wink:

So very true...

luvmykid28
03-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Yarnpiggy, you have my deepest sympathy. I will say a prayer for you.

Arielluria
03-13-2009, 09:02 PM
I like a challenge. No matter how advanced you get, there's always a pattern or technique to challenge your skills.

G J
03-13-2009, 09:35 PM
What a good question and what moving answers! WOW!

I knit because I enjoy it and get bored without it! I love to create beautiful things (and hear people say, "WOW! You made that!?") Knitting has helped me through the empty nest I'm going through with both my kids in college and my DH traveling a lot. It has also helped me make friends here on KH!

starfaerie26
03-13-2009, 09:58 PM
i originally started to knit to spend time with my mother--who can touch anything and figure out how it works.
when i was small, 7 or 8, she taught me how to cross-stitch. i went through a phase where i thought needle work was lame... but as i saw all of the interesting and beautiful things my mother made, i just wanted to know how to do it. when the hackey-sack craze went through my school, she taught me how to crochet my own. from crocheting, i made many snowflakes at christmas time and lots of washcloths too.
i wanted to learn how to make the pretty things that my mom made with the two needles. and i wanted to spend quality time with her.
i've been knitting for over three years now, and i still call mom and ask "if i'm looking at purl, i need to purl, right?" she laughs and says, "yes."
my father passed away recently, and as i was staying with her while we grieved she was trying to think of gifts for everyone that helped so much during the final preparations. i suggested knitting items, as they aren't too expensive and they mean a lot because they are handmade. so we went to the craft store and picked out yarns and knitted together. quietly... and sometimes with tears streaming down our faces, we made heartfelt gifts for our family.
my mom has never told me that i can't do anything.... she has always been the one to show me how to do it right. and now that i'm home, i'm making something for her.... to show her that what she taught me is something that i will always cherish.

Knitting_Guy
03-13-2009, 10:04 PM
I knit because I can.

biztec
03-14-2009, 10:44 AM
I checked out your websites; you are one cool guy!!

farmgirl
03-15-2009, 10:05 AM
I knit because I love making something for others and keeping my hands busy. Lately I have been making odd-ball baby blankets and hats for the Ships project. I love that I can send hugs to people I don't know, just letting them know that someone cares.

wezyus
03-15-2009, 12:02 PM
i knit bcoz i loved n liked it ...it keep me busy n as i like to create and amend any design to my like , that's make more n more happy esp. when its were favoured n appraised by others

Besides that i didnt feel bored when having free time n it's keeps my mind active, so just stop having or imaging nonsense n bad thoughts.

In short i am very fond of knitting, crocheting n sewing, but knitting i like it more

heatherg23
03-15-2009, 09:29 PM
I've always wanted to learn but never had the right time. Then I had a freak accident that leaves me in pain. I spent my days laying in bed watching tv and it drove me nuts. I HAD to have something to do,while laying there, so I got a kniting DVD a yr ago and just started knitting...(I learned to crochet a month ago.) Plus, i've always loved making things and this works out great.

Firey Vixxen
03-16-2009, 03:46 AM
I have Motor Coordination problems and one of the things the Psycologist suggested was Knitting. I had been facinated by my nan's knitting, so Mom agreed to have me taught. (I don't know if it worked, but if it didn't I'd hate to see what I'd be like without it)
about 5 yrs later I'm Knitting in my Psycitrist's office. He was surprised that I knitted but we spent the entire session talking about what I was making and how knitting was good for helping me process my emotions and relax. He then told my mom she should encourage me knitting.
But my mom regrets it now that there's Knitting Yarn and Neddles EVERYWHERE. I guess she'll calm down once she starts getting some jumpers (pullovers).
:X: FV

truelykaden
03-18-2009, 12:46 AM
I have a very challenging 2.5 yr old son. I wasn't feeling good about myself as a mother. We moved to a tiny town and as I cruised through the local "paper", I saw an article about free knitting classes. As I said, I have a son, so I am broke! I never spend money on myself. I thought that if I took some me time and got away for a while, I could be a better mother. And it has worked well! I go to knit a few nights a week for a few hours. I found myself feeling better about myself and less stressed, so I can deal with my son more patiently. :woot:

WandaT
03-18-2009, 09:11 AM
yarnpiggy my heart goes out to you and your family. What a tragic story. I'm glad you had your knitting to bring you back to living when it was time.

I knit for all the same reasons everyone else has mentioned. I love the creativity of choosing my colors and fibers, knowing my project can be as unique as I want it. It's a portable craft! (Before knitting my main hobby was scrapbooking - love it, but it's not so portable.) It's therapy! Love sharing with my S&B (stitch and bitch) group - we have gotten to be really close friends. It gives me something to do while watching TV - I can't sit and do nothing - never have been able to do that. And I love being able to wear my projects!

OffJumpsJack
03-18-2009, 11:01 AM
I started crochet because of panic disorder/agorophobia.
I started knitting to make stuff other than blankets, crochet doesn't make good guy cloths.

Mike,

Here is a crocheted, men's, sweater vest with (mock) cables.
http://crochetme.com/patterns/adventuring-sage-cable-vest

But otherwise I'd agree, and crocheted hats and scarves don't count.

I learned crochet because it looked interesting to me as a child. I recently returned to it for a hobby. I picked up knitting because I wanted to gain a working knowledge of it should my children ask to learn.

What I get out of it depends on the project. I've made dish clothes, hats, scarves, potholders, and a hot pad. I'm planning a top-down raglan sweater for myself. There is also the sense of accomplishment that comes with a FO. For me it is the joy of creating something with my own hands.

The tools and materials are cheaper than those for wood working and we can only use so many bookcases, shelves, and chest of drawers.

Norman
03-18-2009, 11:12 AM
I started to knit a few years ago because I remember growing up with my dad knitting all the time.. I LOVE watching him make something..

Growing up, I learned all sorts of crafting.. but never took to much more than Counted Cross Stitch, Sewing and Knitting.. everything else didn't click in my brain.

lizardknits
03-18-2009, 11:17 AM
why do I knit?
its fun
its a great creative medium (two of the four baby blankets that I have knit were of original design)
i love making things with my hands
it can be very stress relieving (college student here; also dealing with a recovery that is harder than the last one on what was the second of something and should have been without complications)
my mom knits; and I had always wanted to learn (she has been knitting for as long as I can remember)
on a related note, it is a way I can bond with my mom; sit down with her and talk about knitting or work on knitting together :D

Cirrus
03-18-2009, 12:54 PM
I knit for all the reasons others have posted. It's a bit like a meditation, complete focus on one thing or if it's an easy pattern, time to let the mind ramble a bit. I love making socks.

Also, I think it's good for older brains to face the challenge of learning something new. I just knit my first baby sweater. Made a couple big errors, tore it out and finally got it right. It was good exercise for my brain.

Dutch
03-19-2009, 02:29 PM
I tend to be a worry wort. Combine this with an absolute inability to shut off my brain and you have a recipe for insomnia and anxiety which began to take its toll. My wife purchased a knitting book, had it for years and one day decided she wanted to start knitting. She really had a tough time understanding the directions for the patterns. Seeing her frustration and having a penchant for figuring stuff out, I started to help her with the directions, and to my surprise and hers, I took to it like a duck to water (I can also crochet). Been at it for about six years and I can't express how much it has helped my anxiety and insomnia. It's just been a great thing for the whole family. Both my young son and daughter have asked me to teach them, not Mom, Dad. Which I must say is pretty cool. It has really fed a creative drive in me and I have knitted just about everything possible. My wife can't believe how it has relaxed me, although she says she can tell when I have anxious times because the sweaters, socks, hats and mittens start to pile up like a department store. Oh well, at least we're all warm and my kids have a different hat for each day of the month!

1knittychick
03-20-2009, 09:14 PM
I knit to keep myself from eating at night (I've lost 10 pounds).

jcmom
03-20-2009, 09:32 PM
My husband asked me this exact question recently. After some thougt, I realized I like doing something that has a finished product. Being a SAHM, I can wash the same laundry, prepare dinner, etc. day in, day out. It's basically the same. When I knit, I end up with a cool pair of socks, sweater, or whatever that's new. I'm also a crafty person and enjoy the pleasure of seeing something nicely made. It also gives others pleasure if I gift the item. Plus, I can knit while my fam. watches a movie or TV show.

knitkitten
03-21-2009, 08:32 AM
I knit as a form of meditation and prayer....kind of like using rosary beads.....the patterns scare me right now but i have only been knitting for a year...i am a very slow learner!!!! i knit, not pearl, cotton dishcloths and i made a couple scarves....it really is an art form and now when i watch tv or have to sit somewhere...i just sit and knit and i am sure it is good for my soul......knitkitten

KnittedRose
03-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Alexis,
First of all I want to say good for you for not letting these health complications stop you from learning something new.:cheering: Knitting is a good way to build confidence and a great way to relieve stress, except when you might be learning a new stitch or trying a challenging pattern, but the feeling of actually being able to "DO IT", (even if you need some guidance from another knitter) is wonderful. I taught DH who is blind to knit and he loves it. He still needs help with some things, but all in all he does well. We enjoy knitting together.
I knit because I must. I love knitting. It is my own little "escape hatch" from life. Keep those needles going.
KR:knitting:

brenda5316
03-24-2009, 02:15 PM
It's so great to read everyone's stories! Knitting is definitely much more then just making things.

My mom was actually a knitter / weaver type as her main profession. So I swore it off as a rebellion. :roflhard:

But I've found myself coming back to it, not with the same mentality, but just because it is so relaxing and, unlike bad card games online, it produces results you can keep around for a long time... or give to others for something, which is always better. :thumbsup:

cresmoon
03-25-2009, 07:08 PM
I'm a really slow learner, too, knitkitten (took me a whole year to learn the purl stitch). I never knit dishcloths because I don't use them but I've made enough scarves to last a lifetime! So now I'm just using up all my beginner/practice yarn to make a stockinette stitch tote, partly as a dry run to make more bags, partly because I'm sick to death of that yarn! It's curling and making me a little crazy but otherwise, I'm enjoying the project.

Sknitter56
03-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Because it's the one and only thing I can do that my sister can't do! (Not really) My sister is artistic, sculpts, paints, does stain glass, grows unbelievable orchids, cooks gourmet, sews...you name it, she can do it. BUT SHE CAN'T KNIT:woot: And I CAN!!! Heheheheheeeee

novice stitcher
03-25-2009, 08:57 PM
I knit because my Dad's mother did. She never went ANYWHERE without her needles. Unfortunately cancer took her life when I was 8 and if there's one thing I remember... she would have wanted to show me how to knit because I always stared at her knitting while she was doing it... I was so mesmerized. Several years later I was given her knitting needles (what was left of them) and I started reading books... only to be frustrated and clueless. It wasn't until this past February that I discovered this site and now my Nanna's needles are in action again. I can literally feel her with me when I'm knitting.

Plus it's so darn relaxing when I'm not :frog: LOL

Jenn

margz3
03-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Oh Yarnpiggy! :pout: I'm so sorry! :hug:

:hug: Your story brought tears to my eyes! I am glad that you found some therapy/release in knitting!