PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used these?

tgwillis
03-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Has anyone used the new 4" DPN's from Knit Picks. I think they would be great for socks.

http://www.knitpicks.com/4+Harmony+Wood+Double+Pointed+Knitting+Needle+Set_ ND90411.html

tourmaline
03-13-2009, 05:39 PM
They look really nice don't they?! I'm interested in responses as well.

Jan in CA
03-13-2009, 06:09 PM
The only reason I haven't bought Harmony DPNs is I didn't like the length. Thanks for heads up and sorry I couldn't help.

Plantgoddess+
03-13-2009, 08:00 PM
I had a little difficulty when I bought the Options dpn set. I was used to knitting socks on 7" and the 6" felt short and difficult to keep the stitches on. Now I find 7" more uncomfortable, so I think it would just take some getting used to. The wooden needles should grip the yarn better and be lighter so less likely to slide out of the stitches.
I wouldn't be opposed to using them, but can't justfy the cost right now.

imrachel
03-13-2009, 08:37 PM
I have 4" dpn needles in various sizes and I find them particularly convenient for children's and babies socks, thumbs of mittens, and all fingers of gloves. They are a bit of a luxery item, in that you can certainly get away without them and they have limited use. But I am very glad I have them-- those smaller "tubes" can have that porcupine feel with longer needles.

VTBluebird
03-14-2009, 07:34 PM
I've used 4" needles for socks with fine sock yarn, and they worked fine, but I still prefer the 6" needles, and I love the Harmoney needles. I only started using them about six weeks ago, and have already knit two pairs of socks on them (recently had shoulder surgery, so things are going a little slower than usual). My 4" needles are "Sock Stix", and they really hold the yarn. The Harmony needles are smooth and light, but they too grip the yarn very nicely. I also use bamboo. I'll never go back to aluminum needles again!!!! My goal is to purchase all Harmony needles, over time, as they are expensive, but well worth the investment.:knitting:

tgwillis
03-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks Everyone. I have a birthday coming up the end of the month and these are on my wish list that my DH asked me to make.

tgwillis
03-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Jan I saw them on an email and got really excited. I have tried Magic Loop but I really like DPN's better.(I get latters with ML)

tilllie
03-16-2009, 07:52 AM
It would seem I have no resistance...I thought about these all weekend and decided this morning I deserved them! Now I have to wait..wait..wait

VTBluebird
03-17-2009, 09:27 AM
You won't have to wait long. I ordered mine on a Sunday, and I had them by that Friday!!!!! Happy Knitting.:cheering:

kellee0302
03-17-2009, 12:04 PM
I have this exact set of needles. I have been making socks but when using sock yarn with my aluminum needles my stitches would slide off and I would get ladders. Anyway I wasn't very happy that I couldn't make socks with the dpns that I had. At my knit group one of the ladies suggested that I use the wooden ones, my concern was that I would break them. I don't knit very tight but I break plastic needles all the time. She reassured me they were durable so I bought the set. As soon as I got them I cast on for a sock with sock yarn and they are great. I have almost one sock finished. If you're making socks I would suggest this set.

tgwillis
03-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Kelly,
Are yours the 4" set?