PDA

View Full Version : I actually made a crocheted drawstring cupcake purse!!!!!

knitpurlgurl
03-15-2009, 09:26 AM
I saw this pattern (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_list_2&listing_id=22190772&ga_search_query=cupcake+purse&ga_search_type=user_shop_ttt_id_38931) on Etsy and bought it hoping that one day when I figure out the basics of amigurumi, that I'd give it a try. After soliciting help from you very patient crocheters, I was able to find a really great amigurumi tutorial (http://www.hookandneedles.com/2008/03/22/amigurumi-tutorial-1/) on Hook and Needles (http://www.hookandneedles.com/)! Believe it or not, just watching where she put the stitch marker made all of the difference to me. So I tried the purse and voila! I actually did it!

Now I am ready to go on to some cute amigurumi!!! The only thing I dread is the sewing. I'm really kinda shakey on sewing crocheted pieces together. Any suggestions?

Mike
03-15-2009, 02:03 PM
A purse to carry cupcakes in. I'd almost be tempted to carry one of those :)

Stitching is fairly easy. It's usually just a whip stitch.
You can also crochet them together if the rib you get works for the design.

knitpurlgurl
03-15-2009, 08:13 PM
A purse to carry cupcakes in. I'd almost be tempted to carry one of those :)

Stitching is fairly easy. It's usually just a whip stitch.
You can also crochet them together if the rib you get works for the design.

Thanks!

Mike
03-15-2009, 09:19 PM
I should warn you that if you whip stitch through both loops you get a ridge on one side and a valley on the other.
It looks more like they were made together if you only go through the back loops.
I've done both and either depends on the look you're after.

There's another way of a duplicate type stitch but I've never tried it and can never find the link when I'm ready.

merryknitter
03-15-2009, 10:04 PM
You did a GREAT job on that. I have made about 4 of them...they are so cute, aren't they?

The sewing will get easier...the more you do of it!

Thanks for the link to that amigurumi tutorial...that's really helpful!

gargoylelib
03-16-2009, 04:20 AM
Oh that purse is cute! Thanks for the link to the pattern...my little girl would love that :)

Beware amigurumi....it's addictive! I found a cute pattern for my little girl and started on it and was once again reminded how much I like doing amigurumi and now have found several more patterns for my queue!

Libbie :)

OffJumpsJack
03-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Now I am ready to go on to some cute amigurumi!!! The only thing I dread is the sewing. I'm really kinda shakey on sewing crocheted pieces together. Any suggestions?

I found several joining methods on Daphne's Tutorial pages for joining with crochet stitches without a seam. Most of these (http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Cottage/3606/knowhow3.html) are methods for joining motifs but can be adapted for joining other pieces. The last is a DC join that can be used on flat pieces using any crochet stitch to match the rows to be joined. In the drawing, step four is followed by an equivalent of step one, then step 5, then repeat from 2.

I find Daphne's drawings so helpful that I keep a print-out of each of her pages for off-line reference. It appears her last update to her site was in 2004; I am not sure how long this resource will remain available.

knitpurlgurl
03-16-2009, 07:30 PM
I found several joining methods on Daphne's Tutorial pages for joining with crochet stitches without a seam. Most of these (http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Cottage/3606/knowhow3.html) are methods for joining motifs but can be adapted for joining other pieces. The last is a DC join that can be used on flat pieces using any crochet stitch to match the rows to be joined. In the drawing, step four is followed by an equivalent of step one, then step 5, then repeat from 2.

I find Daphne's drawings so helpful that I keep a print-out of each of her pages for off-line reference. It appears her last update to her site was in 2004; I am not sure how long this resource will remain available.

The DC one looks like it may just do the trick! Thanks!!

biztec
03-17-2009, 08:07 AM
That is just adorable. Makes me want to try!!!

PamJ
03-17-2009, 09:46 AM
That is really cute!! Can't wait to see more amigurumi. Love it!

I've had this cupcake purse pattern saved but haven't tried it yet. It's all one piece, so thought I'd throw it into the mix.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39446

knitpurlgurl
03-17-2009, 10:20 AM
That is really cute!! Can't wait to see more amigurumi. Love it!

I've had this cupcake purse pattern saved but haven't tried it yet. It's all one piece, so thought I'd throw it into the mix.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39446

It's very similar to the pattern I have. -But FREE!! The only thing I'd do differently is to not fasten off the cake part and then start the frosting part with a sl st. I'd just start the frosting color in the next round. It'll get covered up with the ruffle. I like this pattern's handles better than the pattern I used. - Which really doesn't have handles at all, come to think of it. But, I'm a tad confused by the directions. Maybe someone can explain it in a different way?

Straps (make 2)

Make a simple chain, however long you like. Make 2. You will weave these through the spaces left from round 8. Weave one strap in from left side, knot together. Weave in second strap from right side, knot together. So when both are pulled they cinch the top of the purse closed.

Yes, I'm written directions-challenged. :noway:

PamJ
03-17-2009, 03:47 PM
I was semi-reading through that Cupcake Purse thread and noticed someone else commented on the straps. She said her purse wasn't closing up tightly. The pattern author said to thread each one through from opposite sides, horseshoe shape. Then they will pull each side up evenly. Does that make any more sense? Probably better if you find her explanation! It's on p. 8.

When I get ready to make one, I'll read through the whole thread and look for other suggestions or "issues." There are a lot of pictures with various color combinations. Fun to see.

Great idea about the ruffle covering up the frosting join. Less work!

The current thread here on making a strong chain will be very helpful!

OffJumpsJack
03-18-2009, 08:57 AM
I'll attempt a drawing, the dashes in the lines are to represent the weaving through the fabric that is not shown.

You may choose to weave the ends more closely before drawing them out to the side where they tie together.

I used two colors to more clearly show how the draw strings are looped from opposite sides of the bag. You may choose to hide the knots within the weave and have a smooth loop exposed.

This is my visualization from the quote knitpurlgurl provided.

--Jack

P.S. I'm sorry about the small size. It turned out to be a smaller drawing than I expected.

--Jack

P.P.S. Well, after trying an advanced edit of my own post I found I could not use the Manage Attachments icon to replace the image with an enlargement of the same. :wall:

OffJumpsJack
03-18-2009, 09:13 AM

Well, I hope that may help you.