PDA

View Full Version : FO's: Not another pair of knitted socks!

Jenelle
03-15-2009, 01:27 PM
I have had sock fever all week long, and so far I've been averaging a sock a day on size 5 and 6 DPN's. About two or three years ago I had the bug then, but I have no clue as to what had happened to the socks I had knit. These are more or less slipper socks, but I have worn them in shoes over a pair of think cotton socks in the winter.

For the red socks, they fit nicely, but I have decided that they have a special purpose. I get dry and cracked feet this time of year, and often at night before I sleep I have to lotion them. I usually have to wash the sheets and blankets the next morning because they are greasy. So why not use these socks to lotion up my feet at night? They are 100% acrylic so they are easy to wash. Plus, my feet feel soft in the morning by trapping the lotion. :happydance:

The blue socks are just intended to keep my feet warm. I used Wool-ease, and I did a checkerboard type pattern on the instep.

Lastly, the blue-ish pink-ish sock. It was knit on size 5's, waiting for a partner. I used Bernat Coordinates baby yarn to try out. I have six skeins of the yarn, and it just feels too scratchy to be used on a baby. I'm trying to get over my fear of smaller needles but just working my way down.

Jan in CA
03-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Wow, you've been busy! Those look great, Jenelle! :thumbsup:

GirlChris
03-15-2009, 02:57 PM
good job, what great socks and I am glad they are going to serve such a great purpose. Pampering youself!

Slim
03-15-2009, 04:54 PM
All very pretty. Those look great for around the house.

TEMA
03-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Love your socks!:thumbsup:
Especially the red ones... such a lovely colour!
TEMA

ArtLady1981
03-16-2009, 07:38 AM
I especially love the short little socks! They are a great length! Good job! Well done!

WandaT
03-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Good for you!!! They look wonderful!! Short socks are perfect for warmer weather when you still want something on your feet. Great job!

dustinac
03-16-2009, 09:46 AM
:yay: They all look great!

MerigoldinWA
03-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Nice sockies. All of them are nice work, but I particularly like the blue and red.

DollyC
03-16-2009, 05:47 PM
sockfever heheeee, just the kind of fever I am getting, so I know too well that kind of addiction.
I love your new socks!
A kiss,
Dolly

Denise in Michigan
03-18-2009, 01:41 PM
You're going to love using smaller needles someday! I find I can knit even faster with them than with larger needles--smaller hand motions, maybe? Still takes longer to make a sock with thinner yarn and smaller needles than with thicker, but it can be worth it. I'm not a quick knitter by any stretch of the imagination, but I can make a single stockinette stitch sock with a 7" leg, heel flap, in womens' 7 1/2 in less than 8 hours.

One you get acclimated to smaller needles, anything larger than US 6 feels huge!;)

Jenelle
03-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Thanks everyone. :) :hug:

You're going to love using smaller needles someday! I find I can knit even faster with them than with larger needles--smaller hand motions, maybe? Still takes longer to make a sock with thinner yarn and smaller needles than with thicker, but it can be worth it. I'm not a quick knitter by any stretch of the imagination, but I can make a single stockinette stitch sock with a 7" leg, heel flap, in womens' 7 1/2 in less than 8 hours.

One you get acclimated to smaller needles, anything larger than US 6 feels huge!;)

It probably is the smaller hand motions. Well, I'm more of a fan of anklets, so I'll probably be able to get them done in no time at all. I guess it's just because of the fact that I'm afraid of getting SSS with smaller needles rather than the larger ones. If I can get really into it, it usually only takes me a day to get a pair done on size 6's. And yes, I can see why they would feel huge. I'm working on an afghan right now on 10.5's, and making even that big of a jump it feels like I'm knitting with broom handles! :teehee:

valentina
03-20-2009, 05:13 AM
I like all yours socks! :thumbsup:

cheley
03-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Very nice sockies (just overcame my fear of socks!!!!!) What pat did you use? May I ask?

Jenelle
03-22-2009, 11:32 PM
Very nice sockies (just overcame my fear of socks!!!!!) What pat did you use? May I ask?

I used Silver's Sock Tutorial (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm) as a base, then across the instep I just did a checkered type pattern or just knit across. I have to give all my credit to her.

For some of my socks when I first started, I used my Knitters Bible for lacey patterns, or I just looked around.

wezyus
03-22-2009, 11:48 PM
wel done, its nice

cheley
03-23-2009, 07:19 AM
I used Silver's Sock Tutorial (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm) as a base, then across the instep I just did a checkered type pattern or just knit across. I have to give all my credit to her.

For some of my socks when I first started, I used my Knitters Bible for lacey patterns, or I just looked around. Gosh that's really "funny"!! :thumbsup: cause I've been gushing all over the place about Silver's Tutorial...just wish I would of tried her tut sooner! I am "still" trying to get the Kitchner stitch down..I am looking for a "toe" up pat without using a "wacky" co to begin:muah: