PDA

View Full Version : What to do, with the too short sock...

Simply_Renee
03-15-2009, 09:43 PM
I should learn them toe up, but I am having too much fun with the plain vanilla dpn version to do it yet. This is the very first time I have ever had SSS! (Second Sock Syndrome)

I made the leg a little too long, then ran out of yarn to make the foot long enough. I finished and grafted the toes, and alas- too short for my feet & my daughters!

Should I: (please vote in the poll above!)

1) give them to dear friend Wendy of the wee feet- and hope she appreciates the love?

2) rip that sucker back to about 1/2" less of the leg, then start the flap.

Bear in mind the following: I love the socks and wanted them for my own. I love my friend, she did just have a baby and would like them too.

lelvsdgs
03-15-2009, 09:55 PM
I voted share the love but with this caveat... make another pair for yourself! :happydance:

LadyFirelyght
03-15-2009, 10:29 PM
What I would do is to undo the cast-on edge and ravel back from there. Just work any cuff up like you were doing a toe-up.

Simply_Renee
03-15-2009, 10:46 PM
What I would do is to undo the cast-on edge and ravel back from there. Just work any cuff up like you were doing a toe-up.

Let me get this straight-

Unravel then bind off the top leg, undo the toe back to the toe decreases, work more of the foot, put the toe decreases in the right spot for me then join the yarn that I had unraveled from the top of the cuff to finish the foot? OR unravel the leg & heel back past the heel decreases then work a longer foot going toe up (which I have never done)

I never thought of that. Actually I would have to rework the ribbing at the top if I unraveled too much. Still way less work than reknitting the whole heel flap down.

LadyFirelyght
03-16-2009, 12:44 AM
You're doing it cuff-down, correct? Theoretically, you finish up the sock, yes? Then, go back to the original cast-on edge, where the cuff started, and unravel it. Rip it until the leg is now the length that you wanted from the start minus the length needed for the cuff. You can then knit UP from there, creating the cuff and binding off as if you were doing a toe-up sock. Make sense?

Edit: I just re-read your first post, and I misunderstood. So actually, you could do either of the methods you suggested and it would be less work than completely frogging it.

Arielluria
03-16-2009, 05:41 PM
I voted to rip only if you're not sure Wendy will appreciate it. I hate to rip anything, but once I get back into it I'm glad I did.
:hug:

Plantgoddess+
03-16-2009, 05:51 PM
It's difficult to rip from the cast on edge. It doesn't undo like it does from the working edge. I think it is time for gift socks and then knit a new pair for yourself. You'll be a little faster with each sock.

Arielluria
03-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Oh, they weren't toe up. Well gift of course. Another thing I'm going to do with a pair I recently made too wide for my feet is "steek" it into a swatch basically and use it (along with some other swatches) into a snuggles blanket for a homeless animal.
:flirt: