PDA

View Full Version : I'm Teaching Knitting....

saracidaltendencies
03-15-2009, 10:56 PM
to my dad! :cheering:

I have recently learned to crochet, and, after crocheting a few things and showing my mom, she wanted to re-learn to crochet...She used to, when she was a kid, but hasn't crocheted in years...Well, she's now learning again to crochet and called me yesterday to see if I wanted to go yarn shopping...Uh...YEAH!!! :teehee:

I drove to my mom and dad's house to pick up my mom, and, my dad wanted to come too....So, we all piled into my car, drove up to Michael's and began looking at yarn and a set of crochet hooks for my mom (she was using one I had loaned her until she got her own set).

I have mentioned to my dad, in the past, I thought he would really enjoy knitting; he's incredibly creative, and, has the mathematical brain for it as well...lol...Well, when we were at Michael's, my dad saw that knitting set titled something like "I Taught Myself Knitting", gave it a look over, and, decided to buy it!

We all got some new yarn and tote bags for our stashes and went back to my mom and dad's house. I explained to him what the stitch markers, cable needle, tapestry needles, point protectors, etc. were for, and, showed him how to cast on...After a few tries, he picked up the cast on and we moved onto the knit stitch! By the time I left, he had knitted about 5 rows all on his own!

I'm so excited because now I have my mom to crochet with and my dad to knit with! :happydance:

And, of course, I told him about this site in case he gets stuck on something and needs a video to follow ;)

TEMA
03-15-2009, 11:01 PM
How wonderful!
That's just amazing! :woohoo:
How I wish I could knit with my Mom. She's a bit elderly now and has all but given up her knitting... eyesight, etc. But she used to knit up a storm at one time :knitting:
Gad... I'm so impressed!
TEMA

Simply_Renee
03-15-2009, 11:05 PM
That is super cool!

Better keep an eye on your stash though...:shifty:

Ronda
03-16-2009, 07:01 AM
That is so cool! Make sure he gives us pictures of his FOs!

margz3
03-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Very cool! I keep trying to convince my DH to learn.....he is the creative yet mathematical type too ...... and it would give him something "productive" to do during TV time, but alas, to no avail!

Plantgoddess+
03-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Way to go, turn your whole family into addicts. It will make future gift giving much easier.

saracidaltendencies
03-16-2009, 10:19 PM
hahaha...No doubt!

It's funny, my mom and I were talking today and she was saying she wanted to crochet some things for me but since I can do it too she didn't know if I'd want anything...I told her if she wanted to, I'd love for her to make something for me because I just about never make anything for myself!

So, she said she'd crochet me a washcloth 'cause I really need washcloths but I won't make them for myself, and, I told her I'd knit her a washcloth because she too needs them but wants to give away everything she makes! :teehee: