03-16-2009, 10:45 PM
So I just got a kindle

(yay!!!)

&&I see that amazon has KNITTING BOOKS for it

Good idea?
Bad Idea?

Jan in CA
03-17-2009, 12:56 AM
Oooo lucky you! I was thinking that one of stitch pattern books would be a good thing for it!

prettylittlelie
03-17-2009, 12:59 AM
I was thinking some books just wouldn't transfer well from paper to electronics

But there are SO many options!
&&It would be SO nifty to have any tutorials or patterns with me

much less space than my laptop

globaltraveler
03-17-2009, 06:25 AM
I've been dying to get one of those for while I'm on the road -- you can't drag very many books along with you in your luggage! And if there's knitting books...I'm really going to have to step up researching this!

Plantgoddess+
03-17-2009, 07:06 AM
I'm jealous as well. I live 20 miles from the closest library or book store. I am making use of the librarie's digital audio books though. I'm downloading 2-3 a week. They're great to listen to as I knit.

imrachel
03-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Here're my problems with Kindle: It costs $360. They have just introduced the new and improved and so much better Kindle 2, and I'm sure next year it'll be the new and improved and so much better Kindle 3. The books usually cost about $10. You can usually find used books for about that price. So you're not saving anything unless you normally buy brand new, list price books. And of course, not all books are on Kindle.

The plus side is that you do save some trees along the way. But at a very expensive price. So if you can afford it, yes, it's very convenient and green, but for now, I'm sticking with the print versions.

krismorales
03-17-2009, 10:47 AM
I have the original Kindle and have had it since about 3 months after it came out. I love it...I would buy another immediately if it broke. One of the reasons is I used to buy books, as opposed to using the library. So for me, the cost was not that much more for the kindle books...some are more and some are less.

I love it for traveling. I used to take about 10 books on vacation. Now I just take the kindle. I haven't researched the new version, but the original worked perfectly for me. It was just like reading a book.

That said, I'm not sure how great it would be for knitting books and info. I have not used it for magazines or newspapers, but it seems to be that it takes longer to pull up pictures. Also, I have not worked with trying to search for things too much, but looking for something specific might be difficult. If this is what you are looking for, I would suggest trying to find one you can play with.

But for sheer reading enjoyment...I adore it.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: