PDA

View Full Version : *Ahem* Err, Sorry, Crochet Help?

OxxxAmandaxxxO
03-16-2009, 10:54 PM
Sorry, I don't know if that word needs to be whispered round here or not?! :teehee:
It's Mothers Day here in the UK on Sunday and I want to get my mum some chrochet supplies as her presant. She crocheted years ago at school and won awards for it, but hesn't done it since. Due to health reasons she is now house bound 98% of the time and would like something to do other than watch tv or read boooks with her leasuire time.
She doesn't know about my plans for this. :D I know I can get a pack of different size needles, but then I get stuck. Could anybody tell me what medium I'd need to buy please? I don't know anything about crochet so don't know if you need yarn or wool (Is there a difference?! :?? ) or cotton or what. Also, if anybody could recommened a good book that covers the basics and maybe has a few patterns in, I'd be very greatful! :yay:
Thanks for reading! :)

prettylittlelie
03-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Some worsted weight yarn is a good "go to"

prettylittlelie
03-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Oh!

and take a peek at

The Crochet Bible: The Complete Handbook for Creative Crochet

OxxxAmandaxxxO
03-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Thank you! :) Will look that up on Amazon. :)

suzeeq
03-16-2009, 11:30 PM
You must have missed the Crochet Forum.... http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31
Though it's perfectly alright to post in this one too.

Kattra
03-17-2009, 01:33 AM
Crochet and Knitting are sisters any yart you can knit with you can croshet with. knitting takes lets yarn but is not more versatile. For you chouse of yarn you should think as much about texter durabilty and just how warm you want the slippers to be. As you do about yarn weight. You might also look at you LCS and see if the do not have some leather soles you can so the the bottoms when your done this will make them last much longer and less likely to pick up stickers and such if she wears them out of the house to go check the mail or some thing.

globaltraveler
03-17-2009, 06:15 AM
What a lovely thought you have there! What kind of crochet does she do? Lace, or wool?

Just a thought: people who do a lot of anything at a fairly high level tend to be very fussy about their tools. You might want to think about going high instead of wide, if you follow me: buying her a few very nice supplies might be more lovely than gifting her with a lot of things...though my bet is knowing that you care enough to gift her with this will probably be the loveliest bit to her!

If she does lace, you might want to give her one or two skeins of really beautiful laceweight yarn in wonderful materials (one of the merino, cashmere and silk mixes comes to mind), and perhaps a matching crochet hook (one that will be good for specifically that weight yarn) in a really nice wood or beautifully finished metal.

If she prefers garments, perhaps enough gorgeous alpaca for a sweater and the hook to match?

You might try taking a look at Purlescence (http://www.purlescence.co.uk/), if you like -- check out the Ed Jenkins exotic wood crochet hooks with the freshwater pearl on the end! Mind you, Robynn is quite pregnant and about 11 days past her due date, so might be a bit problematic ordering from her -- you might email her if you want to order from her. Otherwise, if you like, I can hunt up things for you here in London today or tomorrow, but I go back down south on Wednesday evening!

You know your mom best, of course! I'm sure she'll be so touched and feel so loved by just the thought of what you're doing!

biztec
03-17-2009, 07:49 AM
Globaltraveler, I agree with you! My first crochet needle as an adult was a beautifully tooled wooden one that I still love. Also, I wish someone had warned me early on to stay away from acrylic yarns. I didn't know there was such a thing as washable wool so I did an intricate aghan for my SIL only to see it covered in balls after being washed a few times. Also, you can't block acrylic!! An idea instead of books might be a subscription to Interweave's Crochet magazine, which I love!

cftwo
03-17-2009, 08:48 AM
I like the idea of a crochet magazine. If she's just getting back into crochet, something like that might be a good way to introduce her to various types of patterns. You may be able to find some at a bookstore and get her a variety to see which she likes best.

In general, the same nice yarns which you'd use in knitting are the same that you'd use in crochet. Crochet does tend to use cotten thread for lace in most cases, which is different from most knitting.

A friend recently got me this book http://www.amazon.com/24-Hour-Crochet-Projects-24-Hours/dp/1402734492/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237293900&sr=8-1 which I like because of the variety and the fact that the projects are pretty quick and relatively simple. Sometimes you need projects like that.

I notice you're in the UK - keep in mind that american and british terminology for crochet stitches are different, so you may want to stick with UK publications for your mom. It can be frustrating when you try out a pattern and it looks completely wrong because you were crocheting american when you should habe been crocheting british.

Craw
03-17-2009, 08:51 AM
I agree. Wooden hooks are a very nice choice for a crocheter. So luxurious and maybe something she wouldn't have gotten for herself. Any yarn you knit with, you can crochet with so you have lots of options there. Some of the notions I use are stitch markers, scissors, tape measure, row counter, darning needle (hmmmm, all the same things I use for knitting!). Make sure to point her in the direction of the internet with all it's free patterns!

OxxxAmandaxxxO
03-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Thank you for all your help and replies everyone! :D
I, err, did miss the crochet part of the forums. :p I obviously didn't realise how tired I was with all those typos and appauling grammar! (i'm terrible at spelling anyway.)
I really apprechiate all your help and advice. :) It has been very useful indeed. :) I caved today and told her, I'm terrible at keping secrets! Lol She was very pleased though and very excited. :)
Thank you all again for all your help. :)

lizardknits
03-18-2009, 11:12 AM
well, the fiber depends on who she is making for and if she has sensitive skin
:D
happy hooking to her :D
(crochet was my first love)

OffJumpsJack
03-18-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm a crocheter turned knitter and I cross back and forth without shame. :) (Crochet really isn't the "dark side" of the art and neither is knitting, but it is fun to cast aspersions so long as no one takes it personally.)

With either craft, my hands can get to bothering me. It make me feel old, so if you find crochet hooks that have larger handles it would be worth it for the gentleness they can offer to older or more tender hands and wrists.