PDA

View Full Version : Boye Needlemaster

blessedtosew
03-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Since I am going to knit my first sweater soon, I had decided to buy the Knitpicks Options needle set in Nickel. However, I was walking through Michael's today with a 50% off coupon, and there, hanging on the wall, was a Boye Needlemaster. I couldn't help myself and I bought it for a total of $38. Was I wearing sale goggles? I have heard bad reviews on them, but I have read about a couple of people who like them.

suzeeq
03-17-2009, 10:23 PM
They're not bad for knitting sweaters in the round (or flat) or for long flat items. They're a bit of a pain to Magic loop with, but you might be able to do 2 circs instead.

AngieLanigan
03-18-2009, 08:06 AM
I have the Boye set and I really like them. I got them brand new from ebay for like $20. I just couldn't afford the more expensive sets.

I find the more you use them, the more flexible the cords get. My longest cord (32", I think?) does magic loop easy-peasy after doing a couple of baby sweaters. I've never had an issue with my needles coming unscrewed, and I never even use the little key to tighten them.

(plus I love all the pretty coloured needles, and that the case fits right into my knitting bag!)

WandaT
03-18-2009, 08:58 AM
I bought them first too. They were a nice set to start out with. But after getting the Options, I gave them to my Mom.

blessedtosew
03-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks everyone for your encouragement. I just could not resist $38. I also love the pointy ends (I am finding that I knit tightly) and the pretty colors.

vaknitter
03-18-2009, 11:49 AM
I really like my Boye set - in fact I have 2 sets b/c I really like doing things in the round on 2 circ rather than magic loop or DPN. The cords can be a little stiff so I just warm them under water with my hands if they get too unruly.

suzeeq
03-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Sharp tips is something that Boye has going for it whether in the set or individual needles. I like using them for lace.

OffJumpsJack
03-18-2009, 02:23 PM
I bought boye 24" fixed circulars in size 8 and now I understand what some have complained about. The cable is a stiff nylon and at times wants to bend the wrong way. :eyebrow2:

I recently received a set of Knit Picks circulars in size 2 and am very please with the more flexible cable.

Now, since I like the bend in the Boye circ, and the cable on the Knit Picks... I'm wondering if someone sells a set that combines these features? Maybe I need to design my own circ's. :roflhard:

ArtLady1981
03-19-2009, 02:02 PM
This is good to know! Thanks to everyone for posting some GOOD NEWS about the Boye set. I like how colorful they are, and when I sometimes use an old US6 Boye fixed circ, I love how the finish feels in my hands. The tips are slim but without the hurtful sharp tip of OPTIONS.

I have OPTIONS, too, but I can't always use them cuz of their very sharp tips. So then I have to go to Addi, whose tips are very bulbous and round. But, sometimes I'm forced to take the pain of OPTIONS cuz I'm working a lot of ssk's and k2tog's, and cables and so forth.

I use a lot of single ply yarns, and OPTIONS split those fibers very easily and frequently. So then its out with the ADDIS again.

I thought that the BOYE set would be the best of both worlds.
I'm gonna give them a try, based on the good things I read in this thread. Edited later: I purchased the set on sale at Joann's.com and there was another sale of 40% off, so I got the set for $42 $69.99 less 40%=$41.99), plus a one time $2.95 shipping cuz I set up an account with them as a new member! Good buy!

My girlfriend, Barbara, has the BOYE set, and she loves it.

I'm anxious to try it out.

I know that laying the cords in a bowl of almost boiling water for a few seconds TOTALLY relaxes the cables. Besides that, if you store the cables hanging over something, instead of coiling them back up for storage, they won't get kinky again. Just leave a set of tips on each cord, and lay them over the arm of your sofa, or wherever you knit. I stab two hat pins in the end of my sofa arm, and lay the needles, any needles I'm currently using, across the end of the arm, and the hatpins prevent them from falling to the floor.

knittingincarolina
03-20-2009, 10:24 AM
I bought myself a Boye Needlemaster set for Christmas and I like them. I've not had any problem with them, the kit case is very handy and fits in my knitting bag. I like that you can buy extra cables and needles easily.

kellee0302
03-20-2009, 12:20 PM
I have had by Boye's interchangeable set since I started knitting seriously, about 7 years ago. I use them all the time and I like that they start at a size 2, others sets start at 4 or 5. I have thought about purchasing other sets but because the sizes start at 4 or 5, I haven't found it worth the money. My only problem with the Boye's set is that I can't seem to find longer cables, which I will only need for magic loop, other than that I have made my projects with no problem, right now on my needles, I have a lace shawl and a fair isle sweater for my husband, his sweater is done in the round and requires 326 stitches for the size I am making and I'm not having any problems with the length of cables that I have. Mine also came in a very nice case that holds all the needles and cables, the cables are stored in a half circle and have been since I received the set so I didn't have to fight with the curling of the cable.

suzeeq
03-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Doesn't your Boye set have the connectors for screwing 2 cables together? That way you can get a 48" or long needle.

Cynamar
03-22-2009, 11:28 PM
I don't like the cable or the texture of the needles but if you do then you got a bargain.