PDA

View Full Version : Testers needed for my sock pattern

LadyFirelyght
03-21-2009, 09:47 PM
I recently finished up a sock pattern for these (http://images4cf.ravelry.com/uploads/LadyFirelyght/6962696/thorn_lace_socks_013_medium.jpg). I call them "Thorn Lace" for lack of a better name. You can view more pictures either in Whatcha Knittin' (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89580) or on Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/LadyFirelyght/thorn-lace-socks).

I'm looking for a couple people to test the pattern to make sure I've gotten all the kinks out. The finalized pattern will be made for sale on Ravelry, so this is a chance to get it for free. Hit me up if you're willing to test it out for me :)

If you're interested but intimidated because you haven't ever made socks before, socks are surprisingly easy to do. I remember I was extremely intimidated because if you've ever noticed, sock patterns are usually VERY long! But it's really really easy if you just follow the directions.

yo - yarn over
Skop - Slip 1 stitch purlwise, knit next stitch, yo, pass slipped stitch over knit stitch (psso) and yarn over
drop yo - Knit all stitches but the yarn overs. Don't knit the yarn overs from your previous row; just let them drop off the needle.
kf/b - Knit into the front and back of the st
ktbl - Knit through the back loop of the st
m1f - Make One Front: From the front, lift loop between stitches with left needle, knit into back of loop.
instep: The top of the sock

If you can do those, you can make my socks.

Thanks!

laikabear
03-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Those look lovely! I really like socks with contrasting heels/ toes. :)

Ronda
03-22-2009, 01:00 PM
I love them! It looks like a nice pattern. If I was a faster knitter, I'd test them for you, but I'm slow as molasses in winter when it comes to knitting! ;)

Lisa R.
03-22-2009, 06:30 PM
How soon do you need them done? I'm not the fastest, but I'm getting ready to cast on for a new pair of socks, so if you've got 2-3 weeks, I could do it for you.

LadyFirelyght
03-22-2009, 07:17 PM
2-3 weeks would be just fine. Got some more stuff in the works while I wait. I'll PM you the pattern :)

hartleystudio
03-23-2009, 08:25 AM
I could do them too but I'm slow. I mean, I'm a fast knitter who has a lot of stuff going on but I'm a good sock knitter and I'm looking to branch out from "K2 P2" ribbing. PM me if you have time, I'd love to make them. I need a project to get my MoJo back after daylight savings time, I'm so tired at night now!

If I can help, I'd love to! Any excuse to knit a pair of socks and those are really great!!!

thecanfield
03-23-2009, 09:04 AM
I also would love to try your sock pattern and since your not looking for a pair tomarrow i think i can help help :)

AH1OZ
03-23-2009, 09:23 AM
i'll test this one too!

Sunshine's Mom
03-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Ooooo! I'd love to test them if you still need more help. I've never done toe-up socks before, so I might be slow on them, but I'd still try.

lelvsdgs
03-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Totally off topic but...

When I read the title of this quickly I thought it said "tasters needed for my sock pattern"... I need a nap...:oops:

DorothyDot
03-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Yes, count me in. I love knitting socks and don't mind testing one bit. Specially since it's not a rush git-er-done-NOW type of thing.

Dot

LadyFirelyght
03-24-2009, 11:19 AM
:rofl:

DorothyDot
03-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks. I've never done a toe-up sock before. This will be interesting!

Dot

Crycket
03-26-2009, 12:14 PM
I would totally love to do them...but they would be in such a queue!

DorothyDot
03-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Hi,

Here are my comments for your sock pattern:

First, I truly think, like I said before, that you need to include casting-on directions in your pattern instead of directing your users to a website before they even set one stitch to needles.

Second, I love your lace pattern. It is easy, and unusually stretchy yet warm. But when you say "don't knit the yarnovers from your previous row; just let them drop off the needle" I think you need to specify not to knit the stand-alone yarnovers; the yarnovers that are grouped with the SKop group do get knitted. Or do you truly mean to say K2 in the K st - and drop the yo from the SKOP group?

Third, you likely will have a number of knitters like me who are using old-fashioned sock needles instead of the circulars. In that case you should specify that the stitches need to be distributed 6 on 1st needle, 12 on 2nd needle and 6 on 3rd needle. When you've increased to 72 sts, they need to be distributed on the sock needles 18 - 36 - 18. This way you keep the heel in the same plane as the toe/sole sts. I made the 36 sts be the pattern/instep sts and the two 18-18 sts the sole of my socks. Worked well.

It's good for the heel that you offer them a visual if they get stumped, but you give full directions here. This needs to be done for the toe cast-ons as well.

Hope this helps,
Dot

LadyFirelyght
03-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi,

Here are my comments for your sock pattern:

First, I truly think, like I said before, that you need to include casting-on directions in your pattern instead of directing your users to a website before they even set one stitch to needles.

Second, I love your lace pattern. It is easy, and unusually stretchy yet warm. But when you say "don't knit the yarnovers from your previous row; just let them drop off the needle" I think you need to specify not to knit the stand-alone yarnovers; the yarnovers that are grouped with the SKop group do get knitted. Or do you truly mean to say K2 in the K st - and drop the yo from the SKOP group?

Third, you likely will have a number of knitters like me who are using old-fashioned sock needles instead of the circulars. In that case you should specify that the stitches need to be distributed 6 on 1st needle, 12 on 2nd needle and 6 on 3rd needle. When you've increased to 72 sts, they need to be distributed on the sock needles 18 - 36 - 18. This way you keep the heel in the same plane as the toe/sole sts. I made the 36 sts be the pattern/instep sts and the two 18-18 sts the sole of my socks. Worked well.

It's good for the heel that you offer them a visual if they get stumped, but you give full directions here. This needs to be done for the toe cast-ons as well.

Hope this helps,
Dot
That definitely helps. I'll work on the pattern some more today :)