PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever attach a zipper to their knitting...how???

cresmoon
03-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Forgive me if this is a dense question but I am a very novice knitter. Wanted to make a bag out of a pattern I found at Joann's website using Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick and Quick yarn. The pattern suggests using a button but I'd really rather use a zipper that closes the entire bag so nothing falls out. Has anyone done this and can tell me how and what kind of zipper to buy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ingrid
03-22-2009, 06:47 PM
http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/howto/archive/2008/05/15/zipper.aspx

Here ya go!

cresmoon
03-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the reply, Ingrid. Any ideas on what type of zipper to buy and where I can buy it? I tried looking at some online to get an idea and some of them said that they don't open (and what's the point of a zipper that doesn't open?? But I digress).

And because my sewing IQ is less than zero (got a D in the class in middle school, don't ask), is there a way I can attach it using a sewing machine? Cause that way I'll just get mom to do it using her machine...yes it's cheating but who cares, I signed up to knit, not sew. :mrgreen:

Ingrid
03-22-2009, 08:18 PM
I don't like to sew, either, and I do have a zipper waiting to be put into a vest (since Christmas :teehee: ).

You want the kind of zipper that doesn't separate at the bottom. The separating kind are used for sweaters that zip up. I've found that Joann's is good for zippers. I'd suggest that you wait until the bag is done before you buy the zipper so you have the exact measurement that you need.

As for the sewing machine? I don't see why not, but your mom is probably a better judge of that.:shifty:

laikabear
03-25-2009, 06:08 AM
Another good zipper tutorial is here (http://www.grumperina.com/knitblog/archives/2007/02/closing_the_bri.htm) by Grumperina and here (http://pickinandthrowin.blogspot.com/2007/02/sewing-zipper-into-cardigan.html) by Laura. Both are for sweaters but they have some good ideas. Of course, the Mom solution is probably the least fussy! :rofl:

Good luck! Show us your bag when you're done!

cresmoon
03-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the links, laikabear. I have some time to think about how to do it. Right now I'm thinking of taking the easy (lazy) way out and just making a non-closure tote bag instead. Am I bad? :mrgreen:

laikabear
03-26-2009, 12:47 AM
I put a magnetic snap in a tote purse I made RIGHT after I learned to knit. I think it all depends on what you want to use it for and the shape. Another bag I made was GOING to get the magnetic snap, too, but then it didn't really need a closure after all.

imrachel
03-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Unless you used sock yarn and the fabric of the sweater is very thin, I would be careful about using a sewing machine for this. Hand knitted fabric is very thick and unless it's a super-duper sewing machine, it wasn't designed to handle this. It's not that it will break it-- it's that it may cause the fabric of your sweater to buckle and stretch and just in general not look good. Out of the 3 tutorials, I think Laura's is the best!