PDA

View Full Version : I need help with the "Katharine Vest" from iwk spring 08

emmarcus
03-23-2009, 01:57 AM
As i divide for front and back and make appropriate decreases the numbers don't add up, especially on the back. it states that (on the small size which is what I'm knitting" after 6 decreases on each armhole side a piece that started at around 46 stitches will decrease to 41 inches? I am usually pretty good at the math but something here is really confusing me - anyone else knit this and get it to work out? or run into the same problem? I love the vest, just want to get it done! thanks for your help!

suzeeq
03-23-2009, 10:24 AM
What's the gauge? Usually, patterns don't tell you the measurement of pieces after decreasing, but the number of stitches.

imrachel
03-23-2009, 11:02 AM
There are corrections for this pattern, in the chart. This page has the link where you can download the corrected one: http://www.interweaveknits.com/corrections/spring08.asp

But other than that, I'm not sure I understand your question-- I have the magazine and am looking at the pattern and don't see those numbers anywhere, especially for the small size-- which should be 37" around according to the diagram (but then it also says that the finished size is 35", so that's off, also).

suzeeq
03-23-2009, 11:10 AM
Yeah, I think both numbers should be sts, maybe the OP just mistyped it. But if you start with 46 sts and dec 12, you should have 34. Or if you're supposed to end up with 41 sts, then you would have started with 57. Somewhere there's a typo or misunderstanding.

emmarcus
03-23-2009, 03:23 PM
oops, I meant to say 41 stitches not inches. see how confused i am?? Here's what the pattern says:
"cont in patt and maintaining a 2 st selvedge at each armhole edge, dec 1 st at each armhole edge every right side row 6 times - 41 sts rem. Work even in patt until a total of 9 pattern reps have been worked from CO, pm each side of center 31 sts on last WS row."

So, as far as i can tell i will decrease a total of 12 stitches (16 if the 2 selvedge stitches on each side don't count for total number of stitches) I started with 46 stitches (my count may be off and it could be 47 - that would make the st of 31 work if i am not counting the selvedge stitches in my total stitch count)
So, I'm wondering if the "41 stitches remain" is just written in the wrong place or is a typo? any thoughts? Thanks so much for your help!

suzeeq
03-23-2009, 09:34 PM
The selvedge sts count as the sts you end with AND the sts you started with; it's just a reminder to keep them in stockinette or whatever and do the decreasing 2 sts in from the edge. But if you really do start with 46 sts, you should end with 34, and 41 is a typo.

imrachel
03-23-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm totally lost on this one-- I just took out a calculator and started from the beginning, and it just doesn't make sense. For the small size:
You start with 111 sts. You decrease 2 sts (2) , then dec 2 sts every 10th row 2X (4), then every 8th row 6X (12), then every 6th row 5X (10). This is a total dec of 28 sts, which is what they tell you. Fine.

But then it says "Divide for Front and Back: Working front decs as established"-- as established how??? Those 2 sts every 10th row 2X and then every 8th row 6X, etc.??? That sounds like a very uneven front edge to me, to keep changing the number of rows between dec rows.

You then bind off 7 sts twice (14), maintain this mysterious "front edge as established", and dec 1 st at each armhole edge 6X, which is 6 sts, but this going to give you a total decrease of 9 sts on each half of the front because of the front edge business.

So from 111, you lost 28 sts from the first dec rows. Then 14 (2 x 7)from the BO sts, 12 for the underarm decs (6 for each one) , and supposedly 6 from these front edge (3 on each) decs you were supposed to continue with. That leaves 51 sts. Then you get to the Back, and it wants you to dec 1 st at each armhole edge 6X. That's 12 more sts, which leaves you with 39. Later, they give you 31 sts across the back with 5 sts for each shoulder-- which is 41. Which you don't have. :wall: :wall: :wall:

suzeeq
03-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Did looking at the corrected chart help? It seems the stitch pattern repeat is 6 sts in some places, then goes to 8, then back to 6.

imrachel
03-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Good thought, but nope. Both versions say the bit about 8sts and 6sts.

suzeeq
03-24-2009, 12:10 AM
Well, if you're looking at the pattern too and can't figure it out... there must be more mistakes in it somewhere.

imrachel
03-24-2009, 09:07 AM
I wrote to Interweave Knits and sent them the link to this thread, begging for help. I'll let you know if I hear back, or if they post corrections in their errata section.

emmarcus
03-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Thank you so much! I am glad to see this as frustrating to someone else as it is to me! I also wrote to interweave so it will be interesting to hear what they come back with. :muah: