PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needle question

allynealy
03-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Forgive this newbie :)
I did a quick search and didn't find what I was looking for.
I am trying to do some research on needles. I just started knitting and I think I am already addicted. I want some good needles. I have one pair of circular needles (boye). I don't like that the cable is so stiff (that is my only complaint). MY SIL knits and I have used her knit picks circular nickel plated set. I am looking at this option or their wooden set. I just found this website eknittingneedles.com. Their sets are extremely cheap but they are not interchangeable. Does anyone have these? Are they good? I tried to see if they have a return policy but I don't see one. My question is what other brands should I look into? I heard Denise is a good brand.
TIA for the help,
Allyson

imrachel
03-23-2009, 10:03 AM
My experience with that style of circulars has been terrible. The bamboo needle part is inserted into the plastic tubing (which is very stiff and kinks instead of bending) and that with any stress, they pull out of it. I don't know about their straight and dpns, though I did get a very similar looking set from eBay and ended up with bugs in the packets. And I would not be thrilled with a company which lists 15 circular needles as "30 count". No one counts each needle tip as "1":fingerwag:.

Maybe I'm too suspicious, but the prices are a little suspect as far as I'm concerned. For a complete set of DPNs, 15 sizes, 5 needles in each size, they charge $30. With free shipping. So let's say that's $5, which means the price is really $25. That means that each set is $1.67. So that means they paid maybe $1 for each set of 5, which is 20 cents per needle. That sounds as if the quality of the wood or workmanship is going to be pretty bad. Or they're using 8 year olds in a 3rd world country to manufacture these things?. . .I don't know, but I'd steer clear.

Here's something to remember-- knitting needles do not go bad. Spending some extra money is a good investment in the long run. A set of Harmony circs is $75, as opposed to $30 from the other. We're talking a difference of $45, not $450, and over years and years of use, that comes to a few pennies per month. I'd go for it!

MargieD
03-23-2009, 10:08 AM
I don't like using circular needles, but when I have too, I soak them in hot water first and let them hang straight, then the plastic cable is easier to manipulate. Enjoy

imrachel
03-23-2009, 12:03 PM
MargieD, you might be happier with a different brand of circs. Although some people just don't like them, period, of course. But the knitpicks ones and those by Kollage are very, very soft and never kink or curl or twist up on you.

of troy
03-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Needles are a knitters tools.

and there come in endless variety.

and not all needles are good for everything.

I like metal needles best, but i have some (40year old!) nylon ones. (a milky white plastic, seamless construction.. the cord and tip are the same material--the tips are just thicker!)
that i like too.

I don't like bamboo needle much--I know alot of new knitters do--they are bit 'tackier' and hold the stitches better..

I don't have knitpicks metal or Addis--(I have so many needle i can't justify spending money on more needles.)

i agree, the boye cable are stiffer, --and the boye interchangele set cables are even stiffer..

but when i learned to knit (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth) circ's were made from steel--and had steel 'piano wire' type cables.. (those cables--(real wire cables!) not cords!) were so stiff--that by comparison, boyes are dream!

my style has changed too--more and more i use circ's--and if i had the money, i'd buy every kind of needle i could..

the wooden square ones, the signature needles with a bunch of tips, every kind of interchangable.. (well maybe not the denise--i don't much like them) glass needles, and balene--and antique needles and super fine stiff wire needles (in sizes 0(4) to 0(10) even though i almost never use my 0 or 00's!

the best needle is always elusive.. somewhere down the road..
in the meanwhile, i just keep buying needles

imrachel
03-23-2009, 12:51 PM
:)

the best needle is always elusive.. somewhere down the road..
in the meanwhile, i just keep buying needles

mitimom
03-23-2009, 03:41 PM
I've been knitting a LONG time and use all sorts of needles, even ones my kids have made for me with dowel rods and polymer clay. I did finally treat myself to a set of Denise needles and use them endlessly. Well worth the cost. Nice flexable cables. They have a synthetic needle (vinyl?). All the "yarn" I've tried has moved well not too slippery or slow.

allynealy
03-23-2009, 04:01 PM
mitimom,
What comes in the Denise set? I was confused by their site. How many needles do you get, what size cables, what else do I need or is the set all I need as a beginner? I want to knit diaper covers, socks, hats, and I don't know what else yet.
Is interchangeable really the way to go?

imrachel
03-23-2009, 04:18 PM
There is some misleading informtion on their site-- they state that no one "has reported" problems getting through airport security with their needles. That doesn't mean it hasn't or won't happen. I would never take needles I cared about through security. If you get the one agent who says you can't take them on, you will have to throw them away-- unless you're going to bring a mailing envelope with you, get out of line, go find a possible mail box in the airport and send them back to yourself!

Craw
03-23-2009, 04:20 PM
My favorite so far is Addi Turbo. Then again, I also like bamboo. I've tried some bamboo brands but the only ones I really like are from KA and made in Japan. I just scored 3 sets of them this weekend and I want MORE! hee hee I also got a couple of Plymouth Yarn Co. circs. Not bad. No Addi Turbo but truly not bad. I also just realized Plymouth makes bamboo circular needles in an interchangable set. (scroll down the page)
http://www.plymouthyarn.com/index.php?nav=Needles.main
I haven't tried them yet but if I ever find them, I might!

imrachel
03-23-2009, 10:36 PM
My favorite so far is Addi Turbo. Then again, I also like bamboo. I've tried some bamboo brands but the only ones I really like are from KA and made in Japan. I just scored 3 sets of them this weekend and I want MORE! hee hee I also got a couple of Plymouth Yarn Co. circs. Not bad. No Addi Turbo but truly not bad. I also just realized Plymouth makes bamboo circular needles in an interchangable set. (scroll down the page)
http://www.plymouthyarn.com/index.php?nav=Needles.main
I haven't tried them yet but if I ever find them, I might!

Try this: http://www.fabulousyarn.com/gift_bamboosisterkit.shtml

Angieknits
03-27-2009, 12:37 AM
I'm a very thrifty spender and I bought the set of needles that AllyNealy is talking about from eknittingneedles.com and I love em. I just finished my first sock with a set of #3's today. I haven't had any problems they're super smooth, and no splintery pieces or anything. No bugs, and they each came in their own numbered packages. I will say I'm disappointed because I (stupidly) set my project bag on the couch and my hyper-active 4 year old jumped on it and one of the needles broke. But that was MY fault. I really like my cheapo needles.

linknit41
03-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Craw, i got a set of the Plymouth interchangeable bamboo and was thrilled, until i put them together--the place where the bamboo the metal part join was very rough and uneven and i returned them. Of course, maybe i just got a *lemon*! a year or so later, my dd gave me a set of knitpicks harmony wooden needles and really like them, they are smooth without being too slippery, plus the colors are lovely. linknit41

KnitChick13
03-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Personally, I never use circular needles. But when i use ANY kind of needle, i ALWAYS use bamboo. So yea. I NEVER use plastic and i only use metal when my bamboo ones ore being used.

Simply_Renee
03-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Since you asked for other needle suggestions- I love my Harmony needles from Knit Picks. I am planning on ordering the metal set soon too. Flexible cables, great customer service, LOVE!

biztec
03-28-2009, 09:14 AM
mitimom,
What comes in the Denise set? I was confused by their site. How many needles do you get, what size cables, what else do I need or is the set all I need as a beginner? I want to knit diaper covers, socks, hats, and I don't know what else yet.
Is interchangeable really the way to go?
I have the Denise interchangeables and adore them. They aren't too tacky or too slick. The cable is thicker, so it doesn't twist (which I find truly annoying) and the stitches aren't loose and floppy on it, making it easier for me to count them. The tips are ever so slightly flexible for doing k2tog and ssk and the needles are soft and warm to the hands. The price isn't bad either!!

MarisaLoveCat
03-29-2009, 10:53 AM
The "DPNs, 15 sizes, 5 needles in each size" that mentioned above are really expensive. Compared with the these needles (http://www.8season-knitting.com/double-pointed-knitting-needles-c-6.html) which just need about $16. No matter the type and brand of the needles, as i see, the smooth surface should be the first choice.

imrachel
03-29-2009, 12:51 PM
The "DPNs, 15 sizes, 5 needles in each size" that mentioned above are really expensive. Compared with the these needles (http://www.8season-knitting.com/double-pointed-knitting-needles-c-6.html) which just need about $16. No matter the type and brand of the needles, as i see, the smooth surface should be the first choice.

Ahhh, but the fine print: you have to order a minimum of $30. Also, the others (which I personally don't recommend) aren't that much of a price difference. These above, are $16.42 for the set, PLUS shipping. If your packet is, say, 8 oz, you're going to have to add on $5.33. That's $21.75. The others are $29.99, so a difference of $8.24. A lot of dpns can be $10 - 15 for just ONE size! As for the smooth surface-- if they aren't or if they arrive broken or missing a needle, you have to ship them back to China. If you do something like go through knitpicks, if you have a problem, you just pick up the phone and they immediately send you a new one and don't even ask you to return the others.

If it's a bad deal, on one hand, you're only out $20 - 30, but if price is a big concern, then I assume you wouldn't want that to happen. My one plus on these very cheap needles is that it's a good way to get used to knitting on straights or dpns. But I would never recommend the circs because of the very poor quality of the cord and the joins.

cresmoon
03-29-2009, 09:52 PM
How are the cables on the Knit Pick interchangeables sets? Too tight and stiff or okay?

imrachel
03-29-2009, 10:34 PM
How are the cables on the Knit Pick interchangeables sets? Too tight and stiff or okay?

In a word-- perfect. They are soft but not flimsy, and never kink or curl. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about their cords.

Constance123
03-29-2009, 11:49 PM
I usually tell whom ever I am helping to start with Addi circulars. You pay a little more, but they are a good investment. Also Harmony circulars. They have recently started making straights. There is also a wonderful couple in Oregon that make glass Pyrex needles. They are a treat to own and use. You really have to decide for yourself and good luck and happy knitting. Constance

wezyus
03-30-2009, 12:57 AM
To avoid curling, i wraped the circ. needles with a towel n ironed it, rather to a hot degree n its helped ...little by little its softened.

imrachel
03-30-2009, 08:45 AM
My problem with those cheap bamboo circs is that the cord is not just stiff, it's bad-- if you bend it, it kinks, folds in half-- and also badly joined.

cresmoon
03-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Who all makes interchangeable needles sets? I know of Denise, Boye's, the Knit Picks, and the arm-and-leg-costing new Addi set that's coming soon. Anyone else?

suzeeq
03-30-2009, 08:59 PM
I think Clover might; I know someone has a bamboo set that's interchangeable.

Angieknits
03-30-2009, 09:59 PM
I just bought some Hiya Hiya 8 inch circular needles size 3. with an 8 inch cable, especially for socks and mittens etc... They have good recomendations online, and have reasonable prices and you can buy them in steel, and bamboo, dpns or circular. When I get them I'll post what I think about them.

knittingincarolina
03-31-2009, 12:16 AM
Ally and Angie, I just bought the set you are talking about and Angie, like you I love mine. I have purchased other inexpensive bamboo needle sets that were rough and snagged my yarn. I like the fact that the needles have the size stamped on them and they are in individual packs with the size on the outside. So far I have been very satisfied and have been using them almost daily.

cresmoon
03-31-2009, 07:59 PM
I think Clover might; I know someone has a bamboo set that's interchangeable.

Are you talking about the KA set? I saw it online somewhere once and it cost a crazy amount of money, close to $90.

suzeeq
03-31-2009, 09:36 PM
Heh, the new Addi interchangeable are either $100 or $150, can't remember which. But no, it was another one that's been out a few years.

cresmoon
04-01-2009, 12:47 PM
They're $150. So Martha Stewart and Julia Roberts* will buy them. Me? Not so much.

*I read somewhere once that Julia Roberts has been knitting for years.

MarisaLoveCat
04-03-2009, 02:40 AM
Yes, there is a 30$ minimum order on 8season (http://www.8season-knitting.com/), but the needles and knitting tools are so fabulous to buy a lot. Many Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/search?sort=&q=8season&w=all) friends have good shopping experience there. Maybe next time i will consiver a group order.:p

Lisa R.
04-03-2009, 09:03 AM

Has anybody used these? I wonder because the site says things like, "to a certain extent the diameter of the needle affects the size of the stitch..." What???!!! That IS how the size of the stitch is determined

Also, they do custom sizes...not sure about that, either. So much of knitting seems to be geared toward certain standard sizes. Some Asian countries do things in their own ways and that can make a "good deal" not so good. We've done that with some musical instruments--and found that if they break they can't even be worked on here in the States, because they don't use standard tooling, so everything becomes a hand-done (i.e., VERY expensive job).

With knitting needles, you can, of course, compensate for an odd size in your gauge, but while it might be that they're fine, given some of what is written on the website, I'd want to see someone else's before I ordered!

[Edited to add...I didn't read the Ravelry experiences before posting--glad to know others are having good experiences!!!]

cresmoon
04-05-2009, 01:23 AM
In case you're still reading this thread, Ally, I'm bumping it to tell you that I ordered the 12" straights set from eknittingneedles.com tonight. I'll let you know what I think of them once I get them and have a chance to use them. I was debating buying their circulars too but decided against it after reading this thread (I plan to buy the Knit Picks options set once I'm a more experienced knitter and can afford them so no need to buy the circular bamboo ones). But I see no real harm in trying their straights or double-pointed needles, especially since on their Amazon page, they're only $20 a set plus free shipping (for some reason they're listed as more on the eknitting site so I hope they honor Amazon's lower price). Yes, they're probably not as good as the Clovers and yes, I'll get sizes I don't need (does anyone ever use size 0 needles???) but I still think at that price, it won't hurt to give them a try.

I did plenty of research and explored many, many needles before I decided to buy these and I think it's a good, inexpensive option for beginner's learning needles. I guess I'm not much of a needle snob, at least not yet. :cool: Anyway, just my .02, for what it's worth.

knittingincarolina
04-05-2009, 10:13 AM
cresmoon, I bought the double point set from eknitting needles and I love them. I've not had any problems and was so happy, I took a chance and bought the circular set. I have an interchangable set, but wanted a back up. When they come in I'll let you know how they do.
Terina

cresmoon
04-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Glad you like your needles, Terina.

I don't want to buy the interchangeables yet not really because I'm worried about needle quality, but more because the thought of switching from straights to circulars freaks me out a little so I'm going to try to "wean" off the straights gradually...yes it sounds bizarre but I'm just so used to the straights and the thought of using needles that are connected makes me head spin. It's too overwhelming right now. Baby steps.

suzeeq
04-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Heh, so many of us use circs for everything that it's too awkward to think about going back to straights. I tried it again recently to test a pattern and those were the only ones handy; I see why new knitters might have trouble learning because of having to manuever those long sticks on top of how to poke them into the loops.

ArtLady1981
04-05-2009, 07:46 PM
I have numerous types of needles, and here is my own personal assessment:

1) Purchase an interchangeable set if budget allows...you will save TONS of money in the long haul!
2) KnitPicks brand interchangeables are the best for the money!
3) I'd recommend KnitPicks Harmony (wood) interchangeables (if you can only buy one or the other).

Now on to other brands, and this is only my own opinion, and many other knitters have their own experience with different brands, which I am not trying to invalidate. This is only my opinion:

THE INTERCHANGEABLES:
KNITPICKS OPTIONS: excellent needles, affordably priced
KNITPICKS HARMONYS: excellent needles, affordably priced
DENISE Interchangeables: a waste of money
BOYE Needlemaster: good price for good needles
ADDI CLICKS: too expensive, but excellent needles
(I don't own CLICKS, and never will)

"SET/FIXED CIRCS":
KNITPICKS set/fixed circs: excellent needles, affordably priced.
An extra special thumbs-up for their 16" fixed circs. I couldn't live without them cuz the needle tips are real stubby, and actually work for 'in the round' knitting!
ADDI Turbo: excellent needles, a little spendy
CRYSTAL PALACE circs: good needles, moderately priced
LANTERN MOON circs: good needles but pricey
GRAFTON FIBERS: (http://www.graftonfibers.com/circulars.htm) good needles, but pricey
BOYE: good needles, modestly priced
SUSAN BATES: good needles, modestly priced
CLOVER bamboo: just ok needles, modestly priced
HIYA HIYA Steel: (http://www.hiyahiya-usa.com/steelneedles.htm) good needles, modestly priced (come in 9" lengths!)

Note: CRYSTAL PALACE and LANTERN MOON circs 'swivel' and I love that feature! HIYA HIYA 9" length circs are wonderful! Itty bitty's!

Note: BOYE and SUSAN BATES can be 'catchy' on the yarn. Best to open the package before purchase and feel if there is a smooth or rough 'join' where cable and needle meet. Keep testing them til you find a pair that are smooth. Some folks have successfully use fine sand paper to smooth out the 'snag'. Myself included. Live and learn. Ebay is a great place to purchase vintage BOYE and SUSAN BATES for dirt cheap. Soaking them in hot water before knitting will soften the cables, BTW. My favorite size 6 circ is a Susan Bates (silvery lt green) Silvalume, believe it or not! I love the way it knits.

The needles I've mentioned in this post are needles I own (except the Addi CLICKS), and have worked with. The only needles I never use anymore are the DENISE and the CLOVER bamboos. I keep them around for teaching my grandchildren. The DENISE cables are annoyingly FAT and stall the knitting process for me. However, they are easy to assemble, and come in a very nice case. Many folks swear by them.

cheley
04-05-2009, 07:54 PM
I have numerous types of needles, and here is my own personal assessment:

1) get an interchangeable 'set' if your budget allows...you will save money in the long haul
2) KnitPicks interchangeables are the best for the money
3) I'd suggest the KnitPicks Harmony (wood) interchangeables (if you can only buy one or the other)

Now on to other brands, and this is only my own opinion, and many other knitters have their own experience with different brands, which I am not trying to invalidate. This is only my opinion:

THE INTERCHANGEABLES:
KNITPICKS OPTIONS: excellent needles, affordably priced
KNITPICKS HARMONYS: excellent needles, affordably priced
DENISE Interchangeables: a waste of money
ADDI CLICKS: too expensive, but excellent needles
BOYE Needlemaster: good price for good needles

"SET CIRCS":
KNITPICKS 'set' circs: excellent needles, affordably priced and an extra special thumbs-up for their 16" set circs. I couldn't live without them cuz the needle tips are real stubby, and actually work for 'in the round' knitting!
ADDI Turbo: excellent needles, a little spendy
CRYSTAL PALACE circs: good needles, moderately priced
LANTERN MOON circs: good needles but pricey
GRAFTON FIBERS: good needles, but pricey
BOYE: good needles, modestly priced
SUSAN BATES: good needles, modestly priced
CLOVER bamboo: just ok needles, modestly priced

Note: BOYE and SUSAN BATES can be 'catchy' on the yarn. Best to open the package before purchase and feel the smooth or rough 'join' where cable and needle meet

The needles I've mentioned are needles I own, and have worked with. The only needles I never use anymore are the DENISE and the CLOVER bamboos. I keep the CLOVER bamboos for teaching my grandchildren. I keep the DENISE around just cuz. I never use them. The cables are annoyingly FAT and stall the knitting process. They are easy to assemble, and come in a very nice case. Many folks swear by them. Wow..my thoughts exactly...I was gonna post on "different" needles....I have just recently puchased US4 "16" Harmony Wood and I love it!! I must admit, I have learned on various needles from very inexpensive to expensive..so, again..you really need to "test" your tools and work with what you can afford..

suzeeq
04-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Just to add comments to ArtLady's comments....

KA needles also swivel and they're pretty affordable in LYSs.
The Clovers are nice, though there's a 'bump' between the end of the needle and the cord, so sometimes I have to help the sts up over it.

I have Boye and Susan Bates and haven't found any rough joins. Boyes are nice and pointy, good for lace work; the cord can be stiff, but still straightens out compared to the SB. I tried several times to uncurl a size 10 SB (the standard Silvalume, they make several types) and they still coiled up. I finally held the cords in boiling water for a couple minutes and they're reasonably straight now. Though I also have another SB Silvalume I bought about a year before these (10s) and they're terrific; they're very straight and it was just from the weight of the knitting on them. I also haven't had as much problem with the larger size SBs, 13s and 15s in the gray plastic; the tips are somewhat blunt which is fine for bulky yarn, the cords kink a little, but not bad.

cresmoon
04-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Thanks for your very concisely written thoughts, Artlady. Question for you: you mentioned the Addi Clicks in your 'interchangeable' section and said they're excellent. Is this the interchangeable set that'll be out soon costing $150? Have you already tried this set? I thought it hadn't gone on sale yet.

I was seriously considering biting the bullet (er, needle? :mrgreen:) and buying the KP set but finances and knitting progress hold me back for now, plus the trepidation at switching to circs. I am definitely going to consider them in the future though. For now, I'm just looking forward to trying a needle made out of a new material (wood) after trying both aluminum and acrylic straights.

suzeeq
04-06-2009, 12:00 AM
You can buy a set of cords and a couple tips in the sizes you use most. Then when you can afford the set, you'll have duplicates of the sizes you need.

ArtLady1981
04-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks for your very concisely written thoughts, Artlady. Question for you: you mentioned the Addi Clicks in your 'interchangeable' section and said they're excellent. Is this the interchangeable set that'll be out soon costing $150? Have you already tried this set? I thought it hadn't gone on sale yet.

I was seriously considering biting the bullet (er, needle? :mrgreen:) and buying the KP set but finances and knitting progress hold me back for now, plus the trepidation at switching to circs. I am definitely going to consider them in the future though. For now, I'm just looking forward to trying a needle made out of a new material (wood) after trying both aluminum and acrylic straights.

OY! :doh: I made a bit of a boo-boo. I don't OWN the Addi Clicks. But, I own Addi Turbos. Sorry for error. I wanted to add the CLICKS to the list, since they've thrown their hat into the interchangeable ring! I've followed the Addi group over at Rav, and have done some other reading on other forums. I can say with honesty THEY ARE EXCELLENT product. Everything Addi is excellent. But, IMO, they're too expensive, and additionally, they're missing some of our sizes cuz they are metric sizes (mm). So, there is not a metric equivalent in the Click set for our US sizes 5 or 10.5. So far, you can't purchase extra 'parts' either, such as cords. I've read that you can pick up a set in Europe for about $87. The difference in price is Skacel's distribution markup. I used to think Skacel and Addi were the same thing, but they're not. Addi is the manufacturer, Skacel is a US distributor. However, Skacel offers the lifetime guarantee (therefore justifying the markeup) and if you buy the Euro set (diff colors of cords) you will not have that lifetime guarantee cuz Addi doesn't include the guarantee. If you buy from Skacel (your LYS) SAVE YOUR PROOF OF PURCHASE. This will save you a few gray hairs. You can't purchase directly from Skacel, but through their agents, your LYS. Another reason for the $150 price tag.

I haven't read one bad thing about the performance of the Addi Clicks. Some gals just have a hard time 'clicking' the needle into place. But that's just a technique thing. I've seen them at my LYS, and they click into place real easy. Kinda spring loaded...push in, turn, release and CLICK! They're set.

Angieknits
04-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Well I got my Hiya Hiya Bamboo circs in the mail the other day. The ebay vendor I bought them from (Ms. Babs) included a stitch marker, and a sample of some of her sock yarn in a gorgeous merlot color, and a new sock pattern. I haven't gotten around to using them yet, as my current sock project is still on going. (I hope to finish the second one soon if my allergies will let up, no one wants a sneeze covered sock :p) The needles themselves are extra smooth. Smoother than I expected. The metal join for the cable doesn't seem to be of concern either. The cable doesn't seem to be as flexible as I'd like, but it's short and made to go into a small circle not to use for magic loop.. LOL so I'm thinking it might just be because of the shortness of the cable. I've only owned one other set of circs, and they're horrid. Boye size 10 aluminum 16" circs that kink and double back on themselves regularly.

ArtLady1981
04-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Well I got my Hiya Hiya Bamboo circs in the mail the other day.... The cable doesn't seem to be as flexible as I'd like....

Try dipping/holding just the cable into a bowl of boiling water for a minute before use. If you had the steel HIYA HIYA's you could set the whole thing in the bowl, but for bamboo, you have to hold the cable in while protecting the bamboo. Been there, done that!

Thanks for the appraisal of the bamboo HIYA HIYA's! I only have the steel ones cuz that's what my LYS had!

ArtLady1981
04-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Hi Ally,

I was snooping around on Ebay, and I found a vintage Boye NEEDLEMASTER set, with a beginning bid of $12.95. The auction ends in 1 day and 7 hrs from right now. (April 8)

VINTAGE BOYE NEEDLEMASTER SET (http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-BOYE-NEEDLE-MASTER-KNITTING-KIT-CIRCULAR-NEEDLE_W0QQitemZ250400122493QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250400122493&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50).

http://auctionsound.s3.amazonaws.com/clients/shiponsite/inventory/44210/1238614581.5453.jpg

http://auctionsound.s3.amazonaws.com/clients/shiponsite/inventory/44210/1238614586.7473.jpg?width=500&height=437

knittingincarolina
04-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Glad you like your needles, Terina.

I don't want to buy the interchangeables yet not really because I'm worried about needle quality, but more because the thought of switching from straights to circulars freaks me out a little so I'm going to try to "wean" off the straights gradually...yes it sounds bizarre but I'm just so used to the straights and the thought of using needles that are connected makes me head spin. It's too overwhelming right now. Baby steps.

I am short and I find that circular needles work better for me..sounds funny huh. When sitting in an arm chair, my straight needles would hit the arms or get caught, or hit me in the arm. Now with circulars, I don't have that problem and it's easier on my arms, the weight of bigger pieces are spread out over two needles and a cable. I wish you all the best with your switchover.

cresmoon
04-07-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm very short and don't find my straights awkward at all, but then my acrylic ones are pretty short straights - about 10 or 11" or so. I did have a pair of very long straights I bought when I first started to learn; I didn't know any better then and those got in the way so I never use those. I'd happily keep using straights in fact but for the problem that they're too short to do the bigger projects that I want to do.

I guess I've learned two main things about needles:

1. Like pizza, movies, and just about everything else in life, taste is subjective and one type of needles that are someone's trash may be another knitter's treasure.

2. Like a blog I read somewhere said, needles are like politics and religion - knitters defend their choices to the death! ;)

allynealy
04-07-2009, 02:33 PM
I decided to get the Denise set and I really love them. The cord is a little fat and I can see that that can get annoying, but I think they are an excellent product. I read Amy's post about the pros/cons of NP, denise, boyes interchangeable sets and decided that each set is going to have pros and cons and to get the set that has the most pros and cons I can live with. Denise was the winner. I really like the neat and tidy case. I am currently using them to do magic loop and enjoying it.
I also got a set of the eknitting DPNs and haven't used them yet. They don't look cheap, but I haven't used them.
I am thinking that one day when I have more money or my husband wants to get me a present, I will get harmony fixed circulars in the sizes my denise set doesn't have and I will be set on needles.
Now moving on to yarn . . .
A new obsession!

ArtLady1981
04-07-2009, 04:30 PM
http://i8.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/3e/8d/be27_12.JPG

I love vintage needles. I won these 11 pairs of vintage needles for $29
plus $5 shipping on Ebay today. That's $3 per pair.
I'm excited to get them. Here's what the seller said about them:

11 pair aluminum circular knitting needles.
New in package. Strong nylon cables.
Sizes: 2-5's,1-6,1-8,2-9's,2-10's,1-101/2,2-13's

ArtLady1981
04-07-2009, 04:33 PM
PS: there was another 'lot' of 11 vintage circ needles that climbed to $86!

They were Aero , Milward and Others. (England)

cresmoon
04-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Aw, dang, ally, you've cut our needle debate short! ;) Heh, just kidding. I'm glad you're enjoying your new needles.

You know, something occurred to me today about the Knit Picks needles. I can see how someone would want both the wooden set for when they're beginners and want more control and the nickel-plated tips set for when they're more experienced and want to knit faster. Why is it not that once you've bought one set or the other, you can't just buy the other types of tips (just the tips) for a lesser price than it'd cost to buy the whole other set? Because you've already got the cables and cable keys for the other set so why buy an entire new set just to get the tips you don't already have (like if I had the nickel-plated tips set, then instead of buying the entire Harmony wooden set, I'd just buy the tips only and not the entire set of tips and cables that'd cost more).

I know you're all thinking that it helps to have more than one set of cables or that you could just buy the tips separately a la carte if that's what you want, but that'd be more expensive. Am I strange for thinking this?

suzeeq
04-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Certainly you could buy the other sets of tips only. You may want extra cables though.

wezyus
04-08-2009, 01:40 AM
i usually used that's of Milwards n phony model both for crochet hooks n straight n circular needles ...i found it perfect n wel at ease when using

cresmoon
04-08-2009, 07:38 AM
Certainly you could buy the other sets of tips only.

You mean as a set, or individually a la carte like I said before? Because I was under the impression you could only do it individually.

I probably won't need extra cables because I can only focus on one project at a time but then their sets are probably for more experienced knitters who do need them.

allynealy
04-08-2009, 07:51 AM
That was one of the benefits of the denise set. The plastic is kinda in between wood and nickel plated metal. They are easy enough for a beginner, but not so slick that everything slides too much. That is one of the biggest reasons I picked denise.
I talked to women from my LYS and they both hated denise. I am convinced it is a snob issue. They are great needles and I think people don't like them because they are plastic. They have a lifetime warranty and knit picks has a 1 year warranty.
Like I said, for me, denise had more pros and cons I could live with compared to knit picks. Knit picks doesn't have near as many cable lengths and that was a real downside for me.
My SIL has knit picks, so I am sure we could swap some of the needles occasionally to get to try both. I am lucky in that respect.
If you really wanted both sets and didn't want the cables and accessories, you should email the company. Lots have people say there customer service is excellent. They might give you a good deal since you are a returning customer or if you buy both at the same time.

suzeeq
04-08-2009, 11:24 AM
You mean as a set, or individually a la carte like I said before? Because I was under the impression you could only do it individually.
I probably won't need extra cables because I can only focus on one project at a time but then their sets are probably for more experienced knitters who do need them.

Sorry, I did mean the individual sizes.

ArtLady1981
04-08-2009, 02:49 PM
I was wondering, if we individually purchase all the HARMONY needle sizes (tips only) that are included in the set...will that add up to what the SET would cost anyway?

I remember doing the math when I was ready to invest in Harmonys. If I remember correctly...if you buy the SET, you are paying a few dollars more, just a few, but you're getting the case, cables and extras.

BTW: I bought a pair of the new Harmony straights in a US8 last month, tossing them into my order when I was purchasing the blocking squares.

Want to report that I love them! I haven't knitted a scarf with them yet, but I've used them (one of them) to bind off a project on the last row, and I will tell you...it was much nicer to use the straight Harmony in my right hand for casting off. The circ with the stitches was in my left hand of course, but the Harmony straight in my right hand was very easy. It made the chore of binding off real easy and fast.

I was using a US8 16" Harmony circ for the little party bags.
It is clumsy when it comes time to bind off. That little stubby needle is just clumsy. But when I brought in the straight, things zoomed along.

I can hardly wait to try the US8 Harmony straights for a scarf or something. Mine are 10" in length. I bought this one pair for curiosity, and experimentation. I can say they are wonderful to work with as straights can be.

I won't be converting back to knitting on straights...but maybe for a scarf project once in a while!

cresmoon
04-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Just how slick are the Knit Picks nickel-plated tips anyway? Would they be too hard to use for a new knitter with yarn control issues?

ArtLady1981
04-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Just how slick are the Knit Picks nickel-plated tips anyway? Would they be too hard to use for a new knitter with yarn control issues?

Very slick. Yes, they would be hard for a new knitter with yarn control issues. Sometimes their hard for seasoned knitters to work with.

I suggest the KP "Harmony" circs, or any other brand of wood or bamboo.

Anarfea
04-09-2009, 06:32 PM
You can buy a set of cords and a couple tips in the sizes you use most. Then when you can afford the set, you'll have duplicates of the sizes you need.

This is the road I'm taking. I don't have the money to by an options set yet but I'm collecting gradually.

Anarfea
04-09-2009, 06:38 PM

The extra cables are really useful even if you are only doing one project at a time. You can do things with them like hold live stitches for parts you want to join later via grafting or a 3 needle bind off. Also you can do a provisional cast on that's all set to pick up at the other end. I've even heard of some people threading extra circulars through the stiches they intend to mattress stich but I've never done that.

knittingincarolina
04-10-2009, 11:56 AM
I also got a set of the eknitting DPNs and haven't used them yet. They don't look cheap, but I haven't used them.

Ally, I love my DPNs from eknittingneedles, so much in fact that I ordered the 16" circular set. Love them too.:woot:

cresmoon
04-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Ally, I love my DPNs from eknittingneedles, so much in fact that I ordered the 16" circular set. Love them too.:woot:

Have you received and had a chance to use the circulars yet and if so, how do you like them? Are the joins smooth and let the yarn slide past, and is the cord stiff or flexible?

I recently bought their straights but now I'm wondering if I should've just gone ahead and bought the circulars after all because I'm going to need some circs soon (didn't buy them because they were reviewed badly here and also because I didn't know what length circs to get). Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!