PDA

View Full Version : Men!!!???

evona
03-23-2009, 05:12 PM
We are moving on April 1st. We wanted to get a new refrigerator for the new place so we went over and measured the space for the refrigerator. It turns out that the height in the current space is only 67" - there is a cupboard above the refrigerator. A standard refrigerator is 69 3/4", but refrigerators also come in 66 3/4" height as well. So we spent the weekend looking for refrigerators that meet the height of our new place when all of a sudden my DBF goes into a whole schpeel about how we just can't do it. There aren't enough refrigerators in the height that he likes and they just aren't big enough. I, of course, tell him we have to compromise; however he has a better idea! What is his better idea? Modify the space where the refrigerator goes. I wonder how long we can go without a refrigerator while he "modifies" :teehee: It should be as simple as re doing a cupboard, but I have been through this too many times before to be fooled by the "Its simple" line. For now I am keeping an open mind and gritting my teeth as he gets out a saw, screwdrivers, a level, etc etc etc

Jan in CA
03-23-2009, 07:05 PM
:roflhard: Yep, that sounds about right. :teehee:

JessicaR
03-23-2009, 09:27 PM
My mom went thought hell feeding a family of 4 out of a tiny fridge about that size, just because she knew that the modification would be a huge PITA. However, I would not have. I still gripe about their fridge and how "easy" I'd be to cut out the cabinet and put in a bigger one ;)

evona
03-23-2009, 11:17 PM
My mom went thought hell feeding a family of 4 out of a tiny fridge about that size, just because she knew that the modification would be a huge PITA. However, I would not have. I still gripe about their fridge and how "easy" I'd be to cut out the cabinet and put in a bigger one ;)

We have 4 people too and 2 of them are a man and a 17 year old boy. My BF told me yesterday, in his pitch to modify the refrigerator area, "I eat a lot. Food is very important to me" :rofl: I would definitely MUCH rather have the larger fridge too, which is why I am gritting my teeth and bearing it. I just hope we don't have to go an extended amount of time out of a cooler or eating take out :nails:

Jan in CA
03-23-2009, 11:23 PM
The landlord doesn't care if you take out a cabinet?

saracidaltendencies
03-23-2009, 11:27 PM
hahahaha....I'm so sorry, but, it is kinda humorous too...lol...Only because I know if it were me in that situation I'd have to resign myself to never owning a fridge :teehee: But, we do have the same problem, with cupboards above the fridge...luckily our current fridge still works, but, it came with the house and we've been here 5 years now and I don't know how old the fridge is...Keeping my fingers crossed! LOL!

Hopefully you guys can settle on something, or, the modifications are taken care of quickly!!

TEMA
03-24-2009, 12:39 AM
I think this is an age old problem - probably started just after Adam and Eve got chased out of the Garden... :teehee:
My hubby is an electrician - retired.... He has no hobbies... enough said? LOL!
He's a great guy but... everything has to be 'perfect'... do wish he'd learn to knit...:roflhard:
Hang in there, Girl!
TEMA

evona
03-24-2009, 01:52 AM
The landlord doesn't care if you take out a cabinet?

Nope! I asked her today. I told her that we would pay for it and that we would keep the same color scheme.

Ronda
03-24-2009, 07:09 AM
Around our house, the words "this week" get us all snickering. My husband is always saying he'll do something "this week." Unfortunately, he never (and I do mean never) gets around to doing what he says. My daughter has been waiting about 3 years for him to put up one of those canopies over her bed. My bathroom has gone "undone" for about 4 years now. There is a pile of wood in our back yard that has been there about 4 years now. He's going to take care of all that "this week." Right.

Knitting_Guy
03-24-2009, 08:38 AM
I would do the same. Replacing a cabinet is a pretty easy job and shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to complete.

In a pinch he can simply remove the offending cabinet and go ahead and put a new fridge in place, replacing the cabinet at a later time. Problem solved.

OffJumpsJack
03-24-2009, 08:59 AM
Mason, you took all the fun out of it, but you're right.

Once the cabinet is down, he can take his time to modify it to his exacting standards while Evona can paint the wall exposed by the absent cabinet.

There is a phrase in our house about "tossing your hat over a fence," The "fence" can be any daunting task. Like a hat tossed over a fence, you have to find away to go get it. That means you immediately start the project.

So, as long as you can find a way to "toss his hat over the fence" you can keep him on the task of modifying the cabinet to your satisfaction.

My DW will occasionally ask a question that implies she may damage something by using the wrong tool. Nothing gets me moving faster than, "John, how big of a hammer do I need to tap on the loose pipe fitting under the sink?" :oo:

Remember: If it aint fixed, don't break it! :doh: broken, then don't fix it! Crossed Fingers

Mike
03-24-2009, 10:55 AM
I had to do that.

I finally got a big fridge again. Had to take the door off the house, then the doors off the fridge.
Then the fridge didn't fit so I had to move my cabinets up. Which wasn't so bad because I didn't have a soffit.
I did have to cut out part of the wall and add in a header to get it to sit back far enough.

Then while telling my sister she said my brother was done with his old cabinets which were going to me.

So I took the old cabinets that I just moved down and put up the new ones. The whole kitchen's worth.
Then he finally got me the countertop so I got the lowers. After that I found out that I had put the sink side of the cabinets up in the wrong order and now that I had a good base to measure from they weren't level. Plus the height wasn't convenient for the tiled wall I wanted. So one more time of taking cabinets down and putting them back up.

Anyway, no need to argue with a level. The distance from the top of the fridge is probably 1 1/2". Lay a 2x4 on top of the level fridge and screw the cabinet to the wall where it lands.
If he's going to move all the cabinets to match just screw 2x4's to the wall and level them at the height he wants.

cindycactus
03-24-2009, 10:57 AM
I am an extremely lucky woman. When anything needs to be done DH just goes out to his workshop....comes back in with tools and starts right in. He is definitely a self starter!!! :teehee:

saracidaltendencies
03-24-2009, 02:03 PM
My DW will occasionally ask a question that implies she may damage something by using the wrong tool. Nothing gets me moving faster than, "John, how big of a hammer do I need to tap on the loose pipe fitting under the sink?" :oo:

:roflhard::roflhard:

Hmm, I may have to try that technique with my hubby...Of course, replacing your name with his :teehee: Then again, knowing my hubby he'd probably shrug his shoulders and say, "Iunno" hahaha...

I've learned to become quite handy around the house...I've fixed our toilet which involved draining the tank, unscrewing the tank from the base of the toilet, and replacing all the parts inside the toilet tank, screwing the tank back onto the base, and, I managed to get it done without there being any leaks! I was really proud of myself for that one! That was one project hubby said he'd do because the toilet was broken....Months later I said what the hell and just did it on my own...lol...Luckily we have 2 bathrooms...

Another time I had to completely replace our bathroom faucet...That was another hubby project...lol...There was a little leakage with that one but I just slapped some plumber's putty around the pipe and that took care of the leak. :teehee:

Then there was the time I had to replace the faucet handle in the bathtub...And yes, that was another hubby job...hahaha...And, all those repairs were in the same damn bathroom! Stupid deteriorating house...lol

Debbie
03-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Buy the new fridge and put it in the middle of the kitchen where he has to go around it to get to anything ..... oh, I forgot, he is a man ... he won't even notice it. :)

evona
03-24-2009, 03:18 PM

Remember: If it aint fixed, don't break it! :doh: broken, then don't fix it! Crossed Fingers

:roflhard: :roflhard:

evona
03-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Buy the new fridge and put it in the middle of the kitchen where he has to go around it to get to anything ..... oh, I forgot, he is a man ... he won't even notice it. :)

:roflhard: :roflhard: at this one too!

BTW Demonica - I admire that you got that stuff done in lieu of your hubby . .lol I would love to be able to do more projects around the house. I just don't have the time unfortunately.

Mike
03-24-2009, 08:03 PM

We notice it. We don't mind it.
If it ain't broke ...
Remember?

knit2btied
03-24-2009, 08:46 PM
I am an extremely lucky woman. When anything needs to be done DH just goes out to his workshop....comes back in with tools and starts right in. He is definitely a self starter!!! :teehee:

While you are extremely lucky, i have found that a few prods help in my case!

First time after marrying a plumber and living with a leaking bathroom faucet; I said: I can fix it. He said: you have to go into the crawl space and turn the water off. I said: I won't need to shut it off, I'll just do it really quick. (He did it almost immediately)

Second time I went for the jugular: I'll just call (his biggest competitor) to do it. (he did it really fast...)

evona
03-25-2009, 12:13 AM
While you are extremely lucky, i have found that a few prods help in my case!

First time after marrying a plumber and living with a leaking bathroom faucet; I said: I can fix it. He said: you have to go into the crawl space and turn the water off. I said: I won't need to shut it off, I'll just do it really quick. (He did it almost immediately)

Second time I went for the jugular: I'll just call (his biggest competitor) to do it. (he did it really fast...)

:roflhard: :roflhard: Some great incentives in this thread!!!

Angieknits
03-25-2009, 12:59 PM
hmm. My hubby is a mechanic... ya'll wanna know now long my car sat in the driveway with a blown head gasket, undriveable... 2 1/2 years tilll I told him my FATHER was going to come out and work on it. Now my dad is a "rigger" nothing is ever done "right" just good enough to get by, so I just threaten to get my dad to fix it...
Like right now.. there's a hole in the wall that my Darling love put there one day when he was goofing off... And he keeps saying he's gonna fix it. I'll give him a deadline.. and if he doesn't fix it with in that time I'll either say I'm going to fix it or I'm going to get my dad to do it... then he'll get on it.

Knitting_Guy
03-25-2009, 04:42 PM
oh, I forgot, he is a man ... he won't even notice it. :)

Hey!!!!!! I resemble that remark! :rofl:

evona
04-27-2009, 04:05 PM
OK - bumping this in case anyone is interested in the status of the refrigerator/cabinet status. Well, my new refrigerator has been in the house for more than 3 weeks now and it is STILL placed just where it hits the cabinet :nails: The other day I said "We really need to get the cabinet done so the refrigerator isn't sticking out" and you know what he said "Well, I've gotten kind of used to it like that" To which I said "nuh uh! We are not living with a refrigerator half way in the walkway between the kitchen and the dining room" :tap:

Jan in CA
04-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Good grief. :doh:

Ellieblue
04-27-2009, 06:50 PM
OK - bumping this in case anyone is interested in the status of the refrigerator/cabinet status. Well, my new refrigerator has been in the house for more than 3 weeks now and it is STILL placed just where it hits the cabinet :nails: The other day I said "We really need to get the cabinet done so the refrigerator isn't sticking out" and you know what he said "Well, I've gotten kind of used to it like that" To which I said "nuh uh! We are not living with a refrigerator half way in the walkway between the kitchen and the dining room" :tap:
take Mason's advice and remove the cabinet, that's what my daughter did when she installed her new frig.

evona
04-28-2009, 10:53 AM
take Mason's advice and remove the cabinet, that's what my daughter did when she installed her new frig.

That's what myBF was supposed to do . . . or at re do it. It really just needs the doors lifted a bit and a new bottom placed in.

melmac51
04-28-2009, 04:40 PM

I think he's just messin' with you. :wink:

evona
04-28-2009, 06:15 PM
I think he's just messin' with you. :wink:

Yeah - you're probably right :teehee: Still, its time to get it done!:thumbsup:

Mike
04-28-2009, 06:36 PM

We notice it. We don't mind it.

See, told you so :)

It really just needs the doors lifted a bit and a new bottom placed in.

I don't think so.
Unless these are built in cabinets, 4 screws on the back, 4 screws on the side vs taking the whole thing apart (which it is probably glued so it won't come apart) recutting the length and joins.

A screwdriver vs a tablesaw, router, stain and polyurethane.

Even if you have to remove/rebuild part of a soffit to move the cabinet up it's a lot easier than rebuilding the cabinet.

cftwo
04-29-2009, 01:39 PM
I wonder how quickly he'd get to it if you set up a ladder in the kitchen, opened the cupboards above the refrigerator and yelled "Honey?! Can you bring me a screwdriver?" (Mike's right - most cabinets are screwed into the wall and neighboring cabinets) or better yet "Honey?! Can you bring me that crow bar? I'm going to take this cabinet down."

melmac51
04-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Good thing we love 'em!

evona
04-29-2009, 06:32 PM
I wonder how quickly he'd get to it if you set up a ladder in the kitchen, opened the cupboards above the refrigerator and yelled "Honey?! Can you bring me a screwdriver?" (Mike's right - most cabinets are screwed into the wall and neighboring cabinets) or better yet "Honey?! Can you bring me that crow bar? I'm going to take this cabinet down."

:roflhard: Oh I can see him now!

Good thing we love 'em!

Yep - especially when we get texts like the one I just got about our new neighborhood: "I just found a yarn store called Happy Hookers in Chatsworth" :roflhard:

Sknitter56
05-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Have you ever heard the expression, "the cobbler's wife always needs new shoes?" That's me. My husband does home improvements/maintenance for a living, but getting him to do jobs around the house is a PITA. What I usually have to do is start something then he'll jump in and finish to make sure "it gets done right." Yeah...OK...whatever. As long as it's done, I don't care who does the work.:)