PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard Knitting

Knitting_Guy
03-24-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm sitting out the blizzard in Cheyenne, WY. High winds and blowing snow caused them to shut down all of the roads through WY. Good chance to get some knitting done.

I stopped here yesterday for some fuel and breakfast. By the time I had finished eating they had shut down the highway. Can't say I blame them as that wind is extremely dangerous and even as heavy as I am loaded it was pushing my rig around like a toy.

I finished binding off the bottom edge of the sweater and have started a sleeve. With this down time I've had a chance to get a fair amount of knitting done. Always an up side to these things.

sue in canada
03-24-2009, 09:30 AM
I hate to think about snow again Mason. Stay safe and enjoy your knitting day. :knitting:

Denise in Michigan
03-24-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm glad that if you had to get grounded, you're in a good spot.

cindycactus
03-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Happy Knitting. Wishing you better driving weather.....after you are done knitting that is! :clink:

Jan in CA
03-24-2009, 11:09 AM
:thumbsup: Good for you looking on the positive side of the situation! Nothing you can do about the weather so you may as well take advantage. :hug: Can't wait to see that sweater!

millicent27
03-24-2009, 12:27 PM
What are you knitting, Guy? I also like to knit when there's a thunderstorm or rain/snow outside. You can sit down by the fireside, relax and let your spirit soar.

suzeeq
03-24-2009, 01:07 PM
As I live just 3 hrs up the shutdown freeway from you, I can tell you it was nasty. They shut down just about everyplace in town except for where I work, though probably 3/4 of the people weren't in. Took me twice as long to drive it, though I live in town just off one of the major streets; it's about a mile and a half, took over 15 minutes. Today the sun is shining and we don't have wind here, but I guess it's still kicking up outside of town. At least it looks pretty - all white and blue.

lelvsdgs
03-24-2009, 11:51 PM
Sounds like perfect knitting and drinking coffee weather. Hope you are on the road again soon but do be safe...

ritaw
03-25-2009, 02:35 AM
Sounds like a wel deserved little break.
You have been on the road a long time Mason. I am sure you miss home .
Happy knitting :)

Debkcs
03-25-2009, 03:20 AM
I'm glad you spent a nice safe day, and were able to get some knitting done.

Are you headed west again?

sylvia
03-25-2009, 08:54 AM
i am always talking to my granddaughter about you
she is 8 years old and knits a little
she is always begging me to let her read your blog
so i let her
she spent about hour reading and looking and she loved it
amazed at your knitting laughing a little and she was a little sad to
i am sure that you were topic of conversation in school
the next day
katherine is the youngest granddaughter i have and she is most like me i love this chil
sylvia:knitting:

Doublereeder2
03-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Oh my! Stuck in a blizzard and on sleeve island at the same time! Enjoy your down time.

Knitting_Guy
03-25-2009, 04:37 PM
What are you knitting, Guy? I also like to knit when there's a thunderstorm or rain/snow outside. You can sit down by the fireside, relax and let your spirit soar.

Am working on a turtleneck sweater.

Knitting_Guy
03-25-2009, 04:38 PM
As I live just 3 hrs up the shutdown freeway from you, I can tell you it was nasty. They shut down just about everyplace in town except for where I work, though probably 3/4 of the people weren't in. Took me twice as long to drive it, though I live in town just off one of the major streets; it's about a mile and a half, took over 15 minutes. Today the sun is shining and we don't have wind here, but I guess it's still kicking up outside of town. At least it looks pretty - all white and blue.

You can keep it :rofl:

Knitting_Guy
03-25-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm glad you spent a nice safe day, and were able to get some knitting done.

Are you headed west again?

Thanks. Am now sitting in Salt Lake City. Hit another smaller snowstorm on the way into UT today but it wasn't too bad.

I've reloaded with a military truck heading for nice, warm, South Carolina and will start out that way first thing in the morning. :woot:

Knitting_Guy
03-25-2009, 04:41 PM
i am always talking to my granddaughter about you
she is 8 years old and knits a little
she is always begging me to let her read your blog
so i let her
she spent about hour reading and looking and she loved it
amazed at your knitting laughing a little and she was a little sad to
i am sure that you were topic of conversation in school
the next day
katherine is the youngest granddaughter i have and she is most like me i love this chil
sylvia:knitting:

Hmmm, not sure if some of the language I use in my blog is appropriate for an 8 year old, but glad she enjoyed reading my drivel.

ArtLady1981
03-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Oy, my husband and I know about the road to Cheyenne!
Back in 1973 (if you can believe THAT!) we were headin' back home (Washington) from Nebraska, the month of June. The road got hit with a blizzard, rigs were overturned on the highway, and finally they closed the sucker down. We holed up in Somewhere, USA, with our 3 children, one of which was 5 months old. That's why the memory is still so vivid! We had intended to camp our way back to Washington. NOT.

Stay warm, dry, and well-fed, my friend!

PS: do you still pay the rent for your apt in Florida? shees, you've over the road so much, it seems like rent is money out the window!

What do other single truckers do when they're on the road 30 days out of the month? Do they find a way to save 'rent' by some other type of 'nest' to light into once in a while?

Your work seems so interesting...the travel from place to place. Good thing you're such a friendly guy, with a hobby that attracts conversation in your ports-o-call!

suzeeq
03-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Hope you're taking the southern route, we're supposed to get another storm in tonight and tomorrow. That includes SLC too.

Knitting_Guy
03-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Oy, my husband and I know about the road to Cheyenne!
Back in 1973 (if you can believe THAT!) we were headin' back home (Washington) from Nebraska, the month of June. The road got hit with a blizzard, rigs were overturned on the highway, and finally they closed the sucker down. We holed up in Somewhere, USA, with our 3 children, one of which was 5 months old. That's why the memory is still so vivid! We had intended to camp our way back to Washington. NOT.

Sound like one of "those" trips :rofl:

Stay warm, dry, and well-fed, my friend!

Thanks, I do my best.

PS: do you still pay the rent for your apt in Florida? shees, you've over the road so much, it seems like rent is money out the window!

What do other single truckers do when they're on the road 30 days out of the month? Do they find a way to save 'rent' by some other type of 'nest' to light into once in a while?

Your work seems so interesting...the travel from place to place. Good thing you're such a friendly guy, with a hobby that attracts conversation in your ports-o-call!

I own a place down there and make payments on it as well as lot rent payments. Right now I have all the utilities turned off to save money. It does often seem like a waste of money but it's always nice to have a place to go home to from time to time.

Some drivers save money by not having a place and just living in their trucks 100% of the time, others have family to stay with, and some just rent a room here and there.

I enjoy my work (most days). :rofl:

OffJumpsJack
03-26-2009, 11:33 AM
I enjoy my work (most days). :rofl:

Then may your "most" be more often. :thumbsup:

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
03-26-2009, 08:33 PM
careful if ya gotta go through colorado. My dh works for time warner cable here in NY and they're getting so bombarded with a snow storm that their overwhelming number of calls are being routed to the rotterdam, NY call center.

suzeeq
03-26-2009, 09:41 PM
I thought he was headed to the SE, but on his blog, he talks like he's going up to Oregon. Or I'm confused.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
03-26-2009, 10:06 PM
i haven't checked his blog yet, my dh im'd me about colorado calls while I was reading the first post.

Doodknitwit
03-26-2009, 10:52 PM
and safe

suzeeq
03-26-2009, 11:14 PM
He's on the road now, so he hasn't updated it. We got our blizzard on Monday - over 15" of snow, most of it sideways. Today we only had about 4", it was tracking further south this time.