PDA

View Full Version : ARGH! (Update page 4!)

laikabear
03-24-2009, 01:07 PM
My sweater doesn't fit! :cry:

Here's a brief history: I took a sweater class in which we made a cardigan. The class was led by a yarn rep and we had to use his yarns (Trendsetter). The yarn for this sweater cost over $150 as it was 2 yarns held double. I hated the cardigan pattern and it fit terribly. I ripped out the sweater and made Stefanie Japel's Cozy V Neck from Fitted Knits. I like the way the sweater looks and am very happy except one thing. It pulls up and then bulges around my waist. I tried to block it and pinned out the ribbing even with the body, but I unpinned it today and it's no better. Although it is a little longer!

I would like to (actually that's a lie, I wouldn't LIKE to but I have no other choice) rip back and reknit the bottom portion (it's top down) to fix the bulge. My worries are - will it work, will I have enough yarn, and will it ruin the yarn, which is already "distressed" from going through frogging once. If I do rip it, should I just go above where it bulges and then add some decreases and then knit the ribbing with a larger needle size? I initially did the body with 11s and the ribbing with 10s. So maybe 10.5?

I want to love this sweater!!! And I don't want to buy $50 more worth of yarn to redo the bottom, if the store even has any more.
:frog:

laikabear
03-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Close up of the yarn:

Jan in CA
03-24-2009, 01:14 PM
That yarn is gorgeous!

That style with the ribbing just naturally pulls up like that. Since your hips are larger than your waist it will tend to slide up a bit and therefore blouse out. It's the nature of ribbing really. You could do a different bottom, use a different size needle to make it looser, or a different ribbing that's not so stretchy.. ?

suzeeq
03-24-2009, 01:33 PM
I agree with Jan, that it's more the style, however, you can do a couple things - knit more of the body in stockinette and less in ribbing, or keep the same amount of stockinette and ribbing, but make some increases about halfway down the ribbing so it's a bit larger as it gets to your hips. Or you can leave as is and make it a couple inches shorter if you don't mind it being a little shorter.

prettylittlelie
03-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Heh.
Maybe its just me...
being lazy
and whatnot

but I'd just pin it,
turn it inside out
and seam up the sides

laikabear
03-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Pin and seam... Would that work? :woohoo:

OMG, that would be so awesome. I'll have to check first to see if it just rides up more if I pin it.

Jan in CA
03-24-2009, 02:32 PM
but I'd just pin it,
turn it inside out
and seam up the sides

:zombie: I think I'd re-knit. I don't like the idea of seaming my hand knits.

prettylittlelie
03-24-2009, 02:32 PM
I imagine it would.

You'd just have to watch the tension so it wouldn't pull too tight and bunch, unless thats the look you're going for
&&than you could work in a piece of elastic

Side ruching can be cute :-P

suzeeq
03-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Yeah, with a top down, it would be very easy to undo the BO and rip out to where you want to adjust. A lot faster as well.

ArtLady1981
03-24-2009, 03:03 PM
I believe this style is supposed to 'blouse' like Jan said. You might be trying to wear it contrary to its nature. Have you tried "going with the flow"? Blousing it, instead of pulling it down over the hips? (I'm sure you prolly have)

Anyway, other than that, I agree with the suggestion to frog up to the st st, and reknit downwards using st st all the way, ending with a more conventional length of ribbing. The ribbing can still be ultra tall...but not ULTRA ULTRA tall.

This sweater style is fairly conventional anyway, so I don't think you'll ruin its overall 'look'. Besides, the tweediness of the yarn takes the front row anyway. If it was a solid yarn the 'style' of long ribbing on body and sleeves would be more pronounced, and ULTRA ULTRA tall ribbing on the sleeves would make the body need ULTRA ULTRA tall ribbing to balance it out, or carry the theme.

I covet your yarn! :teehee: It is wonderful. It's too costly to let it linger in a sweater you won't wear. Been there, done that. :pout:

Join the club! :hug: Our question is: why do these dilemmas only happen on expensive yarn? :??

ArtLady1981
03-24-2009, 03:19 PM
PS: I migrated over to your Rav notebook and I saw a photo of the model sweater. It bunches up ever so slightly on her too.
http://images3cf.ravelry.com/gallery/glampyre-knits/500/farm1.static.flickr.com-423375017_991a855e9d.jpg
I think that's your finger, yes? :teehee:

I was looking for your Malabrigo yarn, the new blue stuff!

Slim
03-24-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm really not that experienced a sweater knitter, but I'm just wondering . . . what about frogging back to 2 or 3 inches above the ribbing and working some decreases or switching to smaller needles to give a more form hugging fit there? Then increase or go back to bigger needles for the ribbing? Just a thought . . .

laikabear
03-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Artlady - that's not my finger! :teehee: :rofl: Whoever put in the photo to the Rav database must have got their finger in the photo. I never noticed that before.

If I were to extend the stockinette portion like a "normal" sweater, I guess that would probably use less yarn, since my purls aren't as tight as my knits. So I would probably have enough yarn to do so. But the sleeves are knit with that elongated ribbing style too, so it would probably look weird to have really deep ribbing on the sleeves but not the body. Meaning I may have to frog those and reknit, too. :cry:

I'm honestly not worried about the time investment, it will be worth it. The main reason I'm stalling on the frogging is that I'm worried the yarn won't take the abuse. It's really hard to frog 2 yarns held together, especially since one of them is really grabby wool. I didn't try to separate them, I just frogged as a unit, but it was still hard on the yarn.

This may be my fault since as you can see in the photo, the model's sweater isn't as fitted as mine. I was so worried about it being too loose that I may have made it bulge out because I knit it too tight.

Well, I am having the crappiest week ever, so why not pile it on! I'm going to bring the sweater with me tonight and try to frog back. Do you guys think the looser ribbing will be okay, or go for full on stockinette? I don't think I can put increases in the ribbing - I don't know how to do that without it messing up the ribbing (it's 2X2). Although, Artlady and I know how to do it in seed stitch now!!! LOL. (Sylvi KAL). :knitting:

ArtLady1981
03-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Maureen,

I don't think you need to re-do the sleeves. As a matter of fact, I think the sleeves can be different than the body. Why not?

Why not pull out all the ribbing in the body, and re-knit from there down in a simple st st, and finish it off with 3" ribbing to match the sleeve's style of ribbing (didn't you say it was 2x2 ribbing?)?

Honestly, the star attraction is 1) the yarn 2) the sleeves.
The body can be st st with 3" or 4" ribbing. But, st st will fit looser than the original body ribbing did. Oy.

BUT, I don't think your sweater AS IS looks bad. Honestly, I think you look great AS IS.

What Tahki yarn is it and what colorway is it? I sure do love it.

globaltraveler
03-24-2009, 08:41 PM
I think it *is* too tight, at least in my view... the design seems like it would have to skim the body (if even that) to stay down. I'd personally try to use a weighty yarn to help it do that. I like the ribbing, as it's both flattering and...it's def an integral part of the design to me.

TEMA
03-24-2009, 10:16 PM
The sweater I just finished was frogged 3X's - the neckline - 4 times so I could reknit. The yarn came thru fine but I did take good care not to overly stress it while I frogged.
On the other hand... I don't see the problem.
The sweater looks great..! :thumbsup:
On the other hand - you don't like it - best to frog and do over what you don't like... it's only knitting after all...:teehee:
TEMA:knitting:

suzeeq
03-24-2009, 10:28 PM
How about knit the stockinette a couple inches longer, increasing the stitches, then doing the ribbing, which won't be quite as long, but still longer than conventional ribbing, and with more stitches, it won't be as snug over the hips which is why it blouses up above that.

Or you could knit the lower part of the stockinette on larger needles and also go up a size on the ribbing than you used originally.

laikabear
03-24-2009, 11:07 PM
I can't find the end of the yarn! I guess I wove the ends in well. I may have to snip it. :(

suzeeq
03-25-2009, 12:08 AM
I've had that happen. Follow the sts along the bound off edge, you should find the last one then see if you can follow the tail you wove in.

laikabear
03-25-2009, 06:14 AM
I still couldn't find that darn end, so I just cut the yarn on the outside. I had to do that once before when I frogged the button bands (it started out as a cardi). What I found both times was that when I cut the outside and pulled, I was unraveling the 2nd row. DOH. I had to pull it through like a snake, then detach the (still intact) castoff, and THEN I could really start frogging. What a PITA! But the frogging went okay, and now I have a GIANT ball of yarn. I went back to just above the ribbing. The pattern is knitted straight down, but I smartly thought I would put in 2 decrease rows to make it fit better around the waist.

Well didn't that have the opposite effect! That will teach me to modify a pattern. So I removed the decreases and will do a little extra stockinette before going back to the ribbing (on the same size needles this time). I emailed my LYS owner to see if I can get some more of the yarn. She must think I am nuts as this sweater should have been finished long ago and I've used about an acre of yarn so far. :teehee: I had 8.5" of both ribbing and 8.5" of stockinette. Maybe I'll do more like 12 of stockinette and only 5 or 6 of ribbing.

globaltraveler
03-25-2009, 08:03 AM
Dunno if this post by the Techknitter on improving the transition between st st and ribbing (http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2007/03/where-ribbing-ends-improving-transition.html) will help you any, but it sure helped me a lot! :)

suzeeq
03-25-2009, 10:57 AM
I had 8.5" of both ribbing and 8.5" of stockinette. Maybe I'll do more like 12 of stockinette and only 5 or 6 of ribbing.

Then you probably won't need any more of the yarn. Ribbing takes more than stockinette.

laikabear
03-25-2009, 12:20 PM
Here I go! How do you like that HUGE ball of yarn? :mrgreen:

globaltraveler
03-25-2009, 12:34 PM
That really is a lovely yarn! And it'll be a lovely jumper once it's finally done. :)

Jan in CA
03-25-2009, 02:30 PM
If the ribbing is looser it should be fine. Love that yarn!:inlove:

ArtLady1981
03-25-2009, 02:44 PM
What if you were to switch to a one size larger needle for the ribbing? It wouldn't be detectable, but would make the ribbing slightly larger around, and less likely to crawl up your hips to create the bunching bulge thing. Do you think so?

The ribbing would skim your hips instead of hugging the hips, and not be as prone to crawl.

Just a thought.

I did this with a top-down cami-tank last year. As I worked my way to the waist and over the hips, I didn't want to make increases in the st st...I just increased the needle size (twice in fact) to make the ribbing begin to flare out to go over the hips a bit. This was my own design, so I was tinkering with all sorts of options. It was knit 'in the round'.

Here it is:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2052/2201595955_211e020585.jpg

laikabear
03-25-2009, 03:44 PM
I love that tank! It's a little like the ChicKami. The only tops I've made before are the ChicKami and the Ballet Cami. Both had shaping in the waist that turned out to be skimming, not bunching. Well, I do have to adjust the ChicKami sometimes but it's not that bad. I'm going to try the ribbing in 10.5s instead of 10s (and I took out the decreases above) so we'll see.

globaltraveler
03-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Funny, I'm working on Louisa by French Girl right now, even as we type...and that's how it's shaped, by using different sized needles! :)

suewoz
03-26-2009, 06:01 PM
I think it looks great and I believe the style just has that tendency. If I were you I would not rip it out. No one but you is going to think a thing of it. It is a beautiful sweater.

Woodi
03-26-2009, 06:20 PM
I am not experienced enough to give you advice, but just wanted to say how much I admire your work in this....it looks really gorgeous to me. You are slim enough to wear a ribbed look too, so I hope you end up with something you like.

laikabear
03-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Unfortunately, it's a double argh. Or maybe a triple since I've knit this sweater 3 times. I removed the decreases that were below the bust, and knit straight down to the ribbing. I began the ribbing a little later (since I don't have any more yarn), and I used size 11 for the stockinette and 10.5 for the ribbing (before was size 11 and size 10). Now the sweater has more positive ease in the waist region, maybe 4" instead of 0-1". But it STILL BULGES!

Should I rip up to just below the bust, put in 1" worth of decreases, knit in stockinette to the bottom of the waist, put in 2" of increases, and then only do 2" in ribbing, in size 11 needles?

If that works to make the body portion non-frumpy, then I have to decide if it looks silly with the ribbed arms.

Who votes for stuffing it in a drawer? Or putting in the washer on HOT? :rofl:

ArtLady1981
03-30-2009, 08:30 PM
Maureen, seriously, I think the sweater looks great. I WOULD NOT frog it again, and I would WEAR IT with pride.

I hope you will reconsider how you 'see' this sweater, on how it should look, on a real person.

Remember, the models are always TWIGGIES, with hardly any shape. And, maybe... the 'model sweater' is Size M being worn by a Size 2 model.

Your yarn will thank you! It has to be getting tired about now.

Jan in CA
03-30-2009, 08:58 PM
I agree with Artlady. The sweater is beautiful just the way it is. It looks just like what that type of pattern is supposed to look like. I suspect the model doesn't have much hips, but if you really look at her you can see the same slight bulgy area above the ribbing. A lot of the people on the Rav site look the same. The only ones that I can see that have it perfectly smooth have knit the sweater tightly and pulled it down. I love it the way it is! :yay:

globaltraveler
03-31-2009, 04:23 AM
I agree that it's beautiful as well! It doesn't look overly bulgy to me.

But here's the thing: I am personally extremely fussy about fit. I always have an almost exact idea of how the thing I'm making should fit me. So I totally also understand if you have an idea in your head of what this sweater should look like, and are unhappy with it not looking this way. I will frog and re-work jillions of times, sometimes way past what others think is reasonable, to get the fit I had envisioned for the perfect garment, so I completely understand if you want that as well!

If you want it to fit with absolutely NO bulges, then I'd suggest starting the ribbing directly under the bust and make the ribbing section longer. That way it looks like the bulge is your bust, which is where women bulge naturally anyway.

But I also think it's a gorgeous sweater exactly the way it is, so it's up to you and your ideas of what you want this garment to look like on you!

Simply_Renee
03-31-2009, 10:51 AM
You're gorgeous and so is the sweater. But it is bumpy and would bug me too- you know you aren't happy with it, and you aren't going to want to wear it. You should feel awesome & pretty in what you've taken the time to knit for yourself.

I vote for globaltraveler's solution of trying the ribbing right under the bust. OR trying the stockinette with a couple inches of ribbing on the bottom. (I think the sleeves being mostly ribbed would be OK)

I can imagine how frustrated you are!

:hug:

KnittingNat
03-31-2009, 11:43 AM
I think it looks really great on you!!! How about wearing a nice belt on the area that bugs you, that will give a more fitted look. But i don't think you should frog it, no way!

laikabear
03-31-2009, 08:02 PM
It's funny how many of the magazines have belts over their sweaters. I'm beginning to understand why! :teehee:

I put it aside for now. There isn't much time left in the season where I can wear something so heavy. I'll think about it later. The problem with trying to move the ribbing up is that I don't have any more yarn, and that would take more. I don't think I can get any. My LYS was looking into it, but it seemed like the answer was no.

globaltraveler
04-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Have you tried not doubling the yarn on the ribbing to see how that looks?

ArtLady1981
04-01-2009, 04:57 PM
She doesn't have enough yarn for that. And, the LYS prolly can't get her more. And, she's already $150 into this sweater.
Oy. :eyes:

But, that was a good thought, Global! :thumbsup: I'll put that in my 'tinker' bank! I'm always up for new tricks when I'm tinkering around for solutions and modifications!

globaltraveler
04-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Hmmm, I dunno, she might have enough if she's using the yarn at a single strand instead of doubled. More ribbing, yes, but also more yarn, a smaller needle, but my bet is not as small as half...it'd make the ribbing less bulky, among other things, and less tight, and perhaps the bulge problem might be lessened...it might be worth the bother of trying a swatch...

(I'm the queen of mods these days. Have you seen my project notes from my Wrenna on Rav? Sheeeeeesh.... lol )

ArtLady1981
04-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Oh my goodness, Global! I ventured over to your Rav Wrenna project! It did turn out nicely! You look great, even with the I-pod mirror photo!

You are the Queen of Modland! Your notes are a global travel log! :teehee:

Won't comment more, cuz I don't want to hijack Maureen's thread! :teehee:
But thanks for sharing your notes with me!

globaltraveler
04-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks...my fav notes are the ones for Louisa, if you really want to see what a total loser I am! *giggle* I hadn't even realized how hilarious the notes for Louisa were until after I was done and someone else pointed it out... ;)

laikabear
04-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Well, after looking through Globaltraveler's Rav notes, I have decided to just package up the Blue V Neck and send it to her, along with my measurements. :rofl:

I've cast on for a couple of other projects. In all seriousness, I may return to the Blue V Neck in the future, but for now I think I'm going to shelve it.

Thanks for all the advice!

globaltraveler
04-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Wot, so I can feel like opening a vein over your projects as well as mine?! *smirk*