PDA

View Full Version : Switching over to "crochet"..

cheley
03-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Hi everyone..Crochet was my "first" needle craft..so I have found a pat to complete (very simple), but since I have "knit" for so long (English style) right hand, I am having difficulty with my "tension"...I can't seem to hold the yarn/project with my left hand..How do you "hold" the yarn and get even tension??? My sts are toooo loose...Thanks anyone:hug:

Mike
03-25-2009, 10:53 AM
I envy you.
I just have the yarn run up my hand between the middle and index fingers and over the top of the index finger and I'm still on the tight side.

You can weave it an and out of your fingers. If that's still too loose you could wrap it around the pinky and go up and over.

cheley
03-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks...I guess I need to "brush up" on my crochet!!!:thumbsup: but why the "envy"??? Loose stitches:??

Mike
03-25-2009, 11:42 AM
but why the "envy"??? Loose stitches:??

Because for me to hold the yarn any looser would require me not holding the yarn at all.

MGM
03-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Everyone seems to hold their yard differently, but the way I do it is shown in this video (http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2008/09/learn-to-crochet-slip-knot-and-chain.html) and it works for me. Perhaps doing it this way would help to keep your yarn from being so loose for you. Anyway, take a look at it and see if you think it would be helpful.

MGM

cheley
03-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Because for me to hold the yarn any looser would require me not holding the yarn at all. Oh, I thought because I can knit & crochet:roflhard: :hug:

victoryah
04-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Hello! I am an avid crocheter and a newbie (like 2 days) knitter. friend gave me a bunch of knitting supplies she found at a garage sale and i am on my way!
anyway, the way that i control the tension on crochet is not only wrapping the yarn behind my pinky-in front of next two middle fingers-behind first finger-around front again. i then use my first finger much like a tension controller on a sewing machine. when i feel the tension getting too lose, i raise my first finger up more to tighter, when i feel it getting too tight, i lower my finger.
besides those things, it's just practice practice practice. PLUS, if u find you crochet tighter, use a larger needle than called for, if u crochet looser, use a smaller needle. make sure u gauge!

OffJumpsJack
04-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Hi everyone..Crochet was my "first" needle craft..so I have found a pat to complete (very simple), but since I have "knit" for so long (English style) right hand, I am having difficulty with my "tension"...I can't seem to hold the yarn/project with my left hand..How do you "hold" the yarn and get even tension??? My sts are toooo loose...Thanks anyone:hug:

I envy you.
I just have the yarn run up my hand between the middle and index fingers and over the top of the index finger and I'm still on the tight side.

but why the "envy"??? Loose stitches:??

Oh, I thought because I can knit & crochet:roflhard: :hug:

:roflhard:
Would that be know by the scientific name of Ambidextrous Interweavious?

or

Perhaps that term is best applied to two handed Fair Isle? :)

cheley
04-07-2009, 10:02 AM
:roflhard:
Would that be know by the scientific name of Ambidextrous Interweavious?

or

Perhaps that term is best applyed to two handed Fair Isle? :) ...I always look forward to your responses:hug: FYI my "Ambidextrous Interweavious" that can be "applied" to two handed Fair Isle, has caused my "tendinitis" in both wrists to send me into Hiatus for the next few days:roflhard: (although I will be reviewing all patterns for brainstorming next week):happydance: