PDA

View Full Version : Want To Live In A Shipping Container?

saracidaltendencies
03-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Man, these houses are AWESOME! I can't believe these shipping container houses are even nicer than my regular old house...LOL!!

http://green.yahoo.com/blog/daily_green_news/8/twelve-amazing-shipping-container-houses.html

JessicaR
03-26-2009, 11:25 PM
That is awesome!!!

I'm trying to build my greenhouse out of re-used materials. Have yet to come up with a plan tho :verysad:

Mike
03-27-2009, 12:37 AM
I can't believe that is being put off as "green" news.

Lady Violet
03-27-2009, 12:43 AM
It reminds me of a documentary-type show I saw about living in Japan, but those shipping containers are much bigger. I could definitely use a couple of those!

Simply_Renee
03-27-2009, 07:45 AM
I saw that- pretty neat! Way to think outside of the box (hardy har har)

cdjack
03-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Cool! My step-sister's boyfriend makes those containers into offices for all the off-shore drilling guys in Stavanger, Norway.

Crycket
03-27-2009, 09:39 AM
I think it is a great idea!...Ppl live in trailers...and really...isn't a trailer just a spiffy shipping container?

MoniDew
03-27-2009, 12:22 PM
I think it is a great idea!...Ppl live in trailers...and really...isn't a trailer just a spiffy shipping container?
good point! and really, there is some great design work here, including some cleaver use of inexpensive materials.

saracidaltendencies
03-27-2009, 02:17 PM
I'd love to tear down my garage and have one of those in place of it to give me a little "work area" for my writing! Someplace away from hubby and the kids to eliminate distraction...hahaha...Oh, and it would have to include a lock, and, no telephone...lol

Mike
03-27-2009, 05:28 PM

Trailers are designed with living in mind, i.e., they're insulated and built to be that way. Most are not steel, rather aluminum which doesn't transfer temperature as good as steel.
Shipping containers are built for strength. The ribbing for strength has space wasted to the outside that if built for living would be used for insulation. Metal buildings are cold in the winter and hot in the summer.

From a standpoint of needing a lot of sturdy roofs fast I could see where these would fill a need.
From a standpoint of recycling I think the steel could be put to better use.
From a standpoint of "green", mining metals vs growing trees and energy waste are my big questions.

Crycket
03-29-2009, 10:34 AM
True....but not all trailers are made for living....*smiles*

Some are just work spaces that move....with not a lot of home comfort....*smiles*

But yes...it is true...trailers were meant to be habbitable...

Shipping containers make a great base structure though...