PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a cedar sided home?

vaknitter
03-31-2009, 02:21 PM
The hubby and I are looking at a new house that is almost 20yrs old. It has a painted cedar plank siding (not shingles - it looks like boards). The hubby and I thought properly maintained cedar could last forever. We have a contractor saying it could potentially need to be replaced in the next 5 years.... New siding is not something that would be in the budge. Anyone live in or have experience with a cedar sided home?

JessicaR
03-31-2009, 11:46 PM
I have no idea about cedar siding, sorry. However, I was under the impression too that cedar was naturally resistant to decay. I would not have painted it though! Natural wood is so beautiful. We just put up a cedar fence last summer and except for having to seal it coming up, I was told it was fairly maintenance free.

gingerbread
04-01-2009, 07:04 AM
Our house was up in Massachusetts and we had cedar shingles on the house. When we bought the house it was 15 years old, and we had the house for another 20years. So I don't know if there is a difference between the shingles and the siding, I don't want to make you buy something that a professional says may need to be replaced.
Good luck in house hunting.:thumbsup:

christine
04-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Our home was built in 1896 and still has the orginal wood siding. I don't know if it is cedar or not. Of course it has been painted over the years and a few years a go we had one board replaced. Why did they say it would need to be replaced? Are there problems with it already?
Christine

Plantgoddess+
04-03-2009, 09:28 AM
I don't know about siding but cedar fence posts and yard furniture only has about a 10-15 expected lifespan. Redwood is preferable for wood exposed to weather. This is what I remember from researching materials for our deck.
You could check with a building supply store and get more info or you could google it.

Ellieblue
04-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Our house had the same thing - painted cedar boards. The problem we had is that the paint kept peeling. We finally removed the siding and replaced it with vinyl.

Woodi
04-03-2009, 05:45 PM
We live in, and own a cedar-sided home, been here 13 years. Cedar is what they make barns out of, have done for years.....so they don't need painting; they weather for years and years, as is. You must have seen all those grey-colored barns dotting the countryside?

Ours is stained a yellowish though, which I don't like, so we may also color it soon, prolly with an opaque stain.

Knitting_Guy
04-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Cedar is very durable. I once owned a house that was built in the late 1700s and had cedar siding. The stuff does stand up.