PDA

View Full Version : April Shower Cap - AKA "April Fools Cap"

Shandeh
04-01-2009, 01:12 AM
I'm doing the April KH knit-along this month, because I need some test knitters!

A yarn company in my area has asked me to try out a new yarn they have manufactured. It's not available to the public yet, because it's a brand new thing. Supposedly, it's waterproof. :think: They say that the yarn just sheds water away. I find that hard to believe, but I'm willing to try it out.

They have asked me to find test knitters to help with the final yarn consumer testing. So, here's where you come in! :)

Just let me know if you want to be a test knitter, and I'll send you a skein of the yarn to try out. I'll even include a pattern for the shower cap I designed last night. (I figure that a shower cap will be the best way to test how waterproof this yarn really is.)

The yarn is easy to knit with, cushy and soft, and feels kinda like plastic. I wonder if they used recycled materials?

Here's a photo of the cap I made last night. I've decided to use the gauge swatch as a scrubber! :thumbsup: I've also included a photo of me wearing the cap. As you can see....the cap stretches out a lot when I wear it on my head.

Jan in CA
04-01-2009, 01:16 AM
Ooo I'm in!! :yay:

dreamsherl
04-01-2009, 06:22 AM
I would like to join in.

AngieLanigan
04-01-2009, 08:14 AM
I would love to participate, if you're willing to ship to Canada (if not, I understand though!). I love that bright yellow!

dustinac
04-01-2009, 08:23 AM
:happydance:count me in, maybe I'll actually get this month's KAL finished being a test knit...I'm still working on the March KAL :oo:

yarncharmer
04-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Sandy,
I'd love to do this! Sounds like an interesting experiment. :figureditout:

The.Knitter
04-01-2009, 08:37 AM
If you want to ship to Canada I'll test knit the cap for you! Sounds like fun to me.

Firey Vixxen
04-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Oooh, tempting. Waterproof Yarn-does anyone else have a sudden urge to make a rain jacket?
However I think what with me being on the far side of the world and customs probably not even receiving the package before april is over, never mind me, I think it's safer for me to lend moral support.
And maybe make a hat of my own.
But I really want to know how this yarn works out, so I'll be stalking this thread.
:X: FV

Lieuvena
04-01-2009, 12:32 PM
I'd like to join in.

Shandeh
04-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Yay! Thank you all for joining!
I'll be sending out the yarn later this week, so I'll be in touch with you all.
:heart: :muah: :heart:

purlingkitten
04-01-2009, 02:16 PM
I would like to be a test knitter if you still need them. The yarn sounds interesting to work with and the cap looks like a fun and quick project.

MAmaDawn
04-01-2009, 02:40 PM
If you still need more testers I'll join too...

Shandeh
04-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Thank you all for joining! :hug:

But....I hate to break it to you all.
It was an April Fools Joke!
:teehee:

No....there is no such thing as waterproof yarn. I made that up. Can you BELIEVE I would DO something like that?! :thud:
But, don't feel bad. I'm not a bad sport. I WILL be sending a skein of yarn to those of you that already replied. Just your average, everyday, beautiful yarn. :heart: :inlove: :heart:

I will send a private message to each of you, asking for your address, and what type & color of yarn you would like.
:muah:
(As you all know, I have a HUGE yarn stash, so I have plenty to share.) cloud9

I was going to post a photo of me in the shower with a very wet head....with a silly expression on my face. But, unfortunately, my hubby was not available to take my photo in the shower. I don't think I could have set the timer on my camera and gotten into the shower quick enough to take it. I'm sure I would have gotten several unprintable photos doing that! :roflhard:

By the way, I used Bernat Softee Chunky (http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=softeechunky)to make my "shower cap".

I'll be changing the title of this thread now, to "April Fools Cap" instead of "April Shower Cap". :wink:

The REAL April KH Monthly knit-along will be posted very soon.
:grphug:

MAmaDawn
04-02-2009, 01:26 AM
:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

AngieLanigan
04-02-2009, 07:09 AM
:roflhard:

dustinac
04-02-2009, 07:49 AM
:woohoo: :teehee:

Shandeh
04-02-2009, 01:46 PM
:teehee:
It was fun!

KristinC
04-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Good one!

Lieuvena
04-02-2009, 03:02 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

How funny! I'm 33 and I seriously can't remember ever falling for an April Fool's joke! But hey, you cheated and posted before the first! :p

I can tell I'll have to keep my eye on you! :teehee:

Thanks for the laugh. It's been kinda of a cruddy day around here and that totally made me smile!

I thought waterproof yarn was kinda strange, but I've seen clothes that were "waterproof" so I thought hey, I guess it could happen.

Lieuvena
04-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Jan, I'm thinking maybe you and Shandeh have been in cahoots with each other here:think: . Considering your anchor post on the 31st as well. And the fact that you where both the first ones to post in each thread! :wink:

Shandeh
04-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Jan and I were DEFINITELY in on it together. All the other mods knew about it too. :) We're sneaky devils, aren't we?
:twisted:

How funny! I'm 35 and I seriously can't remember ever falling for an April Fool's joke! But hey, you cheated and posted before the first! :p
I actually posted it EXACTLY after midnight on April 1st in my part of the world. :wink:

Lieuvena
04-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Jan and I were DEFINITELY in on it together. All the other mods knew about it too. :) We're sneaky devils, aren't we?
:twisted:

I actually posted it EXACTLY after midnight on April 1st in my part of the world. :wink:

Sneaky devils for sure!

Well I'm claiming time zone difference for defense then. It shows March 31 for me. I NEVER would have fallen for it otherwise!:roflhard: There, so my never been fooled record stands, right!....Um...right?

Aah, fine...I was fooled...and you know what? I LIKED it!!;) :teehee:

Jan in CA
04-02-2009, 03:33 PM
:lol: I posted it in the evening on the 31st because I don't get up early and wanted in here for the beginning of the day. That was dumb though.. lol

Shandeh
04-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Jan, you're NEVER dumb. :hug:

.....I'm claiming time zone difference for defense then. It shows March 31 for me. I NEVER would have fallen for it otherwise!:roflhard: There, so my never been fooled record stands, right!....Um...right?
Aah, fine...I was fooled...and you know what? I LIKED it!!;) :teehee:
:muah: It was fun for ME too! :teehee:

The.Knitter
04-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Oh you brat!! It was really fun though. You had me fooled and I've only once been fooled before, so you almost got another April Fool's Virgin... but not quite.

I worked in a factory as the receptionist. One of the "boys" called from up in the sales office to the reception desk and, putting on a fake voice, explained to me that He was Sergant Frank Lucasek from the Cambridge Fire Department, and that there had been a fire in the Panasonic microwave in my kitchen and that my apartment was on fire, with fire department on the scene. I asked him three times if he was joking and he said "he didn't joke about things that serious". After his third denial I flipped. I knew my X-DH was asleep in that apartment because he had worked the graveyard shift. The perpetrators of this cruel joke eventually, after calming me down and finding a tranquilizer somewhere to do so, had to drive me home to check on X-DH and my house before I could work again. The owners of the company almost fired the guys who did it. The boss even had someone drive me home because I was in no shape to drive.

I think this joke was really funny! No one was hurt or really upset and it was a good gag! Which of us does not want to test new yarn???

YOU GOT ME!!!

LBECK
04-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Is it too late to join. If not I would like to help out with this. If you need my addy just let me know but you should have it from the baby blankets.

LBECK
04-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Boy don't I feel like the dork of all time now. :doh:

Jan in CA
04-02-2009, 06:45 PM

:teehee: Don't worry about it, lots of people were fooled. That was what we'd hoped for. :yay:

lulubell
04-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Yep,I was fooled too. I studied the sample cap and wondered if the water would go through the gaps in the knitted stitch and how it would run off etc etc. Very good Aprils Fool Joke. But.... we will be on to you next year!

Shandeh
04-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Oh you brat!! It was really fun though. You had me fooled and I've only once been fooled before...........YOU GOT ME!!!
:angelgrin:
I think the joke your co-workers pulled was BAD! I would never do anything like that. So sad. :pout:

Is it too late to join. If not I would like to help out with this. If you need my addy just let me know but you should have it from the baby blankets.
:teehee: You're not alone. I think I would have been fooled by it too.

Maybe I should have been a con artist. :think:
:wink:

Yep,I was fooled too. I studied the sample cap and wondered if the water would go through the gaps in the knitted stitch and how it would run off etc etc. Very good Aprils Fool Joke. But.... we will be on to you next year!
What....you think I would do it AGAIN?
:flirt:

yarncharmer
04-02-2009, 08:59 PM
well, you got me hook line and sinker. I don't remember ever having been really april fooled before either. I agree, it was fun having the wool pulled over my eyes. :roflhard:

Shandeh
04-02-2009, 09:10 PM
well, you got me hook line and sinker. I don't remember ever having been really april fooled before either. I agree, it was fun having the wool pulled over my eyes. :roflhard:
Thanks for being a good sport about it. :hug:

suzeeq
04-02-2009, 09:28 PM
There was a little discussion in the Mods only thread..... :whistle:

Firey Vixxen
04-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Oh, I wanted it to be real :cry: I wanted to make a rainjacket :cry: Then again, my stash doesn't need anymore yarn. :cool: So its a good thing.
Can't wait for next year's joke... Maybe an Impossible Pattern (Of course you're going to do it again. or I will. It was fun and funny)
:roflhard: :woot: :thumbsup: :X: FV

lelvsdgs
04-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Brilliant, both of you!!! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Simply_Renee
04-03-2009, 12:27 AM
:teehee: That was fabulous. I think the pictures really made the story...

Shandeh
04-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Oh, I wanted it to be real :cry: I wanted to make a rainjacket :cry: Then again, my stash doesn't need anymore yarn. :cool: So its a good thing.
I'm sorry it's not real! :pout: :hug: :pout:

Can't wait for next year's joke... Maybe an Impossible Pattern (Of course you're going to do it again. or I will. It was fun and funny) :roflhard: :woot: :thumbsup: :X: FV
There's no telling WHAT will happen in the forum on April Fools Day. We always have fun with it. By the way, did you see Sheldon's "Groundhog Help" transformation of the forum that day? It was hilarious. Especially the knitting groundhog. :teehee:

Brilliant, both of you!!! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
:)
:teehee: That was fabulous. I think the pictures really made the story...
Thanks! :wink: My hubby had fun taking them. He could not BELIEVE that I was doing an April Fools joke. I'm usually a very serious person, and I think he enjoyed seeing me be more playful. cloud9

MAmaDawn
04-03-2009, 03:23 PM

I thought the same thing...

LBECK
04-03-2009, 06:32 PM

I wondered the same thing too. I studied that picture to see if I could tell how big the holes were. :roflhard:

Shandeh
04-03-2009, 10:21 PM
I "designed" that cap in about 15 minutes. I went to my craft room, grabbed a skein of Bernat Softee Chunky and a size 15 circular needle and did a garter stitch swatch. Then, I measured around my head and figured out how many stitches I would need to cast on to fit it tightly.

(I stretched out the gauge swatch to see how many stitches would stretch out per inch. The resting gauge was 11 stitches per 4 inches, and the stretched gauge was 6 stitches per 4 inches.)

Figuring that I would need to cast on 36 stitches, I got to work. After knitting for 6 inches, I did a normal decrease like other hats I've made, then ran the yarn through the stitches when I had about 8 or 10 stitches left on the needles.

I think it only took about an hour to make it. Next, I remembered that I had the flower pin with my sewing stuff, so I pinned it on the hat for the final touch. :)

Then, I grabbed my hubby, and said, "Come and take my picture wearing this silly hat." :teehee:

Woodi
04-06-2009, 08:55 AM
I am coming in late on this, but did get a chuckle from it. I was about to post that no, I didn't want to knit up a shower cap, but I began designing in my head a hat with a large brim, (see Andie Macdowell's big black hat in Four Weddings and a Funeral) for wearing on my head instead of carrying an umbrella, which I do frequently around these parts. Inevitably, the umbrella jostles as I am usually carrying many packages, and falls to one side, getting me very wet.

So I'm disappointed that nobody has yet invented waterproof yarn.

Shandeh
04-07-2009, 02:20 AM
Me too! :hug:

I think it would be fun to wear a hat like you suggested, and if it was waterproof, it would work well! :)