PDA

View Full Version : Another needle question

pbs
04-01-2009, 02:24 PM
I've just recently started working with circular needles because I needed the cord for the length of the baby blanket I'm making. I like Addi's, mainly because of the semi-flexibility of the cord and the smooth join between needle and cord. A lady at one LNS told me to use the bamboo ones, but another one at another LNS told me to use the turbo LACE ones because they have a smoother join, but still have some "stickiness" to them. Being the perfectionist I am, I start off with the bamboo ones and stitch for a while and they feel "bundlesome" and rough at the joint, so I switch to the turbo Lace ones and I seem to be flying along but I'm not sure I'm as much in control. In addition the cord on the bamboo ones is really coiled, while the turbo lace one isn't. I'm just doing a simple little baby stroller coverlet about 26" x 36", my first real project, in garter stitch cause that's all I know how to do--and I've started over about 20 times because I can't decide whether to use the bamboo or the lace needles. Yes I know I'm out of control. Can someone tell me what would be best ones to use? Also if I'm doing this coverlet that's about 26" wide, wouldn't I use a 32" cord? One store tried to put me on a 24" cord, but that didn't seem logical to me.... I MUST move on from this OCD I seem to have about this coverlet--I'm sure it's because I'm about to be a 1st-time grandmother. Please help!!!!

I need/want to knit and quit worrying....

suzeeq
04-01-2009, 02:36 PM
If it's only 26" wide, you can use the 24" just fine. The needle can be quite a lot less than the width of the item even working flat because the sts will just fill in the center, you don't need a lot of extra length. That could be why you're having a problem with the needle, it's too long. For the curling cord, hold the cord only in boiling water for a minute or so, then hold it straight as it cools.

globaltraveler
04-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is that the longer you use the Addi needles, the more you'll get used to them and you will feel more in control while using them.

pbs
04-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Both the bamboo and the turbo lace are Addies. The bamboo feels a little more "secure" if that makes sense, but the joint doesn't feel as smooth as the turbo lace. My original LYS told me I just wasn't far enough along to use turbo lace, but another LYS told me to go for it. Does one knit prettier or whatever than the other? Should I just go ahead and push myself for the lace ones? In other words, which one should I use--bambo or lace (both Addi brand)? Is any of this making sense?

margz3
04-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Sure, you are making perfect sense, but I think most people will tell you that it's really a matter of preference! I personally would go with the lace due to the smoother join and more flexible cable, but many new knitters feel more secure with the feel of the grip on the bamboo. Either way, the more you knit with either, the more comfortable you will feel with your stitches and the less you will worry!

Craw
04-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking it's all about preference. Whichever ones you feel most comfortable with are the ones to use. Did anyone suggest the regular Addi Turbos? As a new knitter myself, I find the blunter tips the easiest to work with.

pbs
04-02-2009, 06:34 AM
Thanks Margz and Craw--I think I've wanted to use the Lace ones all along, but just didn't have the confidence that I could do it. It appears LYS people have in their mind that new knitters can only use wooden needles, and I suppose I can understand that if you've never done handwork before, but I've been embroidering, cross stitching, etc. since I was 8 years ago and I'm pretty good at working with my hands.
I have not ever tried the regular Turbos because even the woman who put me on the Lace ones said the Turbos were really slippery. It seems the Lace ones have some drag but the regular ones don't--I'm not sure I'm that far along yet. Craw, as a new knitter have you had a problem with them slipping?
Thanks to those of you for suggesting the 24" circulars --I'll be dropping by to get one today. I think that may be part of my problem because the 32" ones spread my work out so far I can't tell what I'm doing or how it looks. Can you give me some advice on how to pick the length of the cable in the future? For instance, how wide can an item be and still use 24" circulars? When do I neeed to step up to the 32's, 40's, etc.
Thanks to you all--you've been wonderful and taught me so much.

Craw
04-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Stitches have slipped off of my Addi Turbos but nothing serious. Nobody told me I couldn't do it so I didn't have any problems for the most part. I've lost more stitches using bamboo and the Knit Picks Harmony straights anyway. I was holding up my work, admiring it, and oops! turned the needle the wrong way ... ziiiiiiiiiip goes the whole thing! :doh: ha ha I crocheted before I picked up the needles so yes, I can see that having done handwork before might make a difference.

suzeeq
04-02-2009, 11:04 AM
If you'll be knitting in the round, then you need to use a needle length less than the circumference of the item. For flat knitting, it would have to be really wide, like an adult blanket or shawl with a larger number of sts on it to need the 40". Unless it's over 48" that's way too much needle, it just gets in the way. You don't need it to be longer than the width of the item. I find 29-36" to be a good length for almost everything - sweaters, blankets, afghans.

pbs
04-02-2009, 12:21 PM
So Suzeeq if I'm doing a 26-28" wide blankie, do I need 24's or 32's? Such silly questions I know, but please bear with this learner. Maybe one day I'll be able to contribute instead of aggravating everyone with questions!!!

suzeeq
04-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Either one will work. If you plan on doing a wider one at some point, then get the longer circs, unless you end up getting different ones for every project.

cresmoon
04-03-2009, 12:05 AM
I've been wondering: are the needles that are used in the knitting demo videos on this site Addis? If so, what type of Addis are they?