PDA

View Full Version : We adopted a puppy!

blueeyes28
04-02-2009, 07:55 AM
She will be coming to us from Kentucky on Saturday and I am so excited.She is 16 weeks old her mom is a Yorkie they are not sure what the dad is but he is most definitely bigger than a Yorkie,they are estimating the pups to be around 20 lbs full grown.Any advice from fellow adopters will be appreciated,I am so excited and nervous it feels like I am adopting a child and I am just hoping she likes us.:heart:

dustinac
04-02-2009, 08:34 AM
:yay:Congrats!!

Luvmyrottnboy
04-02-2009, 09:23 AM
She will LOVE you.

I adopted my Rott 5 years ago. Stuff I had ahead of time: Collar, leash, CRATE (very important), good food (Wellness), toys, lots of chewies.

blueeyes28
04-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Yeah I almost went out last night and bought all the supplies but we are picking her up at Pet Smart in NH and they give you a booklet with $200 worth of coupons so we are going wait and buy from them.

Luvmyrottnboy
04-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Yeah I almost went out last night and bought all the supplies but we are picking her up at Pet Smart in NH and they give you a booklet with $200 worth of coupons so we are going wait and buy from them.

Wow! Great deal!

I remember how over the moon I was when I adopted Cyrus and I am sooooooooooo excited for you!:cheering:

HollyP
04-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Congratulations!:woot: How exciting!! You'll have to share pictures of her! I am an absolute sucker for puppies!!
My brother and SIL adopted a puppy last year the person from the rescue org told them to put a shirt in the crate with the puppy that they had both worn so he could get used to their scent quickly. Also they were told to always take him to the same spot to go potty. It really works! They still take him to that spot and he goes right away. My dog on the other hand has to check out the entire yard before he finds his "perfect spot for now":teehee:.

auburnchick
04-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Congrats! I have three dogs and couldn't imagine my life without them.

You're going to have a great time taking the puppy shopping with you. That's what we did with the last two we adopted, and it was so much fun! Once you have the dog, then you have an idea of what kind of collar looks best on them...important stuff, you know. :wink:

I think the most important thing is that you'll begin training the moment you step inside your door. If you don't want the puppy on your couch or bed, start training immediately...and be consistent. It's harder to break a bad habit after the fact.

I'm so happy for you! I love new furry babies!!!!

Jan in CA
04-02-2009, 12:11 PM
20 lbs?? Yorkies are only like 5 lbs..what kind of dog could mate with a Yorkie so the pup size would be about 20 lbs!?

Congrats though! :yay:

blueeyes28
04-02-2009, 12:37 PM
I have was asking the very same question so I did a little research on mixed breed dogs and you would not believe some of the combos out there I saw a black lab/miniature pincer mix (I think there must have been some dachshund in there too because the legs were awfully short.)there is such a thing as a Yorkie/Russel which is a Yorkie and Jack Russel.

vaknitter
04-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Congrats on adopting ! :woohoo: I am trying to talk my hubby into a second dog (we lost our old boy in Nov and I miss having 2). I must ask - how did you come to adopt a dog from Kentucky all the way in Maine?

Let's see you'll need a digital camera so that you can post lots of pictures, a crate, crate liner (or three our girl liked to shred them), leash, collar, toys, food, treats, bowls....I'm sure there's something I'm missing. I have medium to large dogs so I am not sure if the same rules apply to small dogs, but we have always been told to get them into obedience classes ASAP if only for the socialization so that the puppy learns to sniff and be sniffed and gets used to people squeezing its cheeks.

blueeyes28
04-02-2009, 02:09 PM
The first place we went on our journey to adopt was a website with all of the animal shelters,rescues and humane society listings for Maine and we ended up on Pet finder scrolling through listings from local places and there she was,the rescue group is located in Manchester New Hampshire they transport the dogs from Kentucky to New Hampshire and we pick her up there.Long story short the only available dogs that we saw at our local places were way to large for our little house and these poor little guys (and big guys) in Kentucky really need to get out of the shelters they are in because of major over crowding issues they may very well face euthanasia if they are not moved to safer places with no kill shelters.

vaknitter
04-04-2009, 07:35 PM
That's awesome !! I'm on petfinder and our SPCA websites constantly looking out for out next pup. We have a lot of shelter up here that transport, but most of ours just come from North Carolina.

Don't forget to post pictures !!!

blueeyes28
04-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Ok here is a picture I will post more later,she is not feeling well today so we took her to the vet and they said that she probably caught a little bug during transport but she is going to be fine.She is so funny she doesn't feel like eating right now but she is hiding food around the house for later.She looks a lot bigger than she is in that picture.

bailsmom
04-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Awww she's beautiful! Congrats!! And I sure hope she feels better soon. :hug:

bambi
04-06-2009, 04:41 PM
She's SO cute!

Bambi

catlvr
04-07-2009, 10:00 AM
What a cutie!! Just give her a couple of days. As soon as she realizes her traveling days are over, she'll be fine. Have fun with her.

JessicaR
04-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Awwww, congrats!!!

KnitWit1987
04-07-2009, 10:49 AM
AWWW :inlove: She is soooo cute I just wanna squeeze her!! cloud9

Simply_Renee
04-07-2009, 05:40 PM
What a sweetie! (and a beautiful afghan, did you knit it? Dang, I do that ALL the TIME- at least here ya'll understand...)

blueeyes28
04-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Thank you I did knit it,notice that little slice in it that is compliments of my 4 year old,there a couple more to match in various places but that was my fault I forgot my scissors on the end table and he found them.

Jan in CA
04-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Awwww!!! She's cute! :yay:

Simply_Renee
04-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Good work! The scissors incident is heartbreaking, did you trade him in for the puppy?

My son CUT MY HAIR (and my favorite skirt, while I was wearing it) with kindergarten scissors that I had left out. Both times I was washing dishes.

He was 3 at the time. My hair is back down to my butt where it belongs now, but it was shocking to turn around & see it all over the floor like that. He whacked a 6-8 inch or so piece out.

He just looked up at me and innocently asked, "Are dees da hair cuttin' scissors?" :whistle:

Sunshine's Mom
04-08-2009, 10:08 AM
She's adorable. What's her name?

blueeyes28
04-08-2009, 10:52 AM
No I did not trade her for the puppy although I considered it for a split second.:rofl: Her name is Vada that is what it was when we got her and I like it so we are keeping it,they said that she did not know her name yet but I think she does.

bjc1050
04-17-2009, 02:57 PM
20 lbs?? Yorkies are only like 5 lbs..what kind of dog could mate with a Yorkie so the pup size would be about 20 lbs!?

Congrats though! :yay:

Not all yorkies are only 5 or 6 pounds. Although our 1st two yorkies only weighed 6 pounds each, our current male yorkie weighs 12 pounds. Our pomchi weighs 22 pounds and our other pom mix weighs 11 pounds, but is tall with long legs.It's mostly the dogs that are entered in dog show that conform to a pre-defined standard. Could be the mama isn't tiny and the papa could be anything, but most likely a terrier or smallish beagle.

Beverly

Hope she is working out well.

blueeyes28
04-17-2009, 03:01 PM
She is doing great,the vet thinks she may have some wire haired jack russel in her and I think he may be right after seeing her jump over the puppy pen.

bjc1050
04-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Vada is really cute. I really love terriers, but especially yorkies. Give her a hug for me. Glad she is doing well now.

stitchabit
04-19-2009, 08:22 PM
What a cutie! We are also in the process of adopting a rescued dachshund. Our last one died 6 years ago and I am ready to have another one. I used to live in Maine- Portland before moving to NC - 4 years ago.

blueeyes28
04-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Oh really I am from Portland what part of Portland did you live in?

stitchabit
04-19-2009, 08:52 PM
We use to live on Pinecrest Road and then later we moved to a new condo on Celebration Court. Neat exit 8 and the Barron Center. My DD, her DH and twin GB's live in Gorham. I miss the water, but not the winters there.

blueeyes28
04-20-2009, 07:05 AM
Oh yeah I know where that is I work per diem for the Barron center.Maine winters really make me think about heading south but winter is when I do my best knitting.:aww: