PDA

View Full Version : Am I weird?

Angieknits
04-04-2009, 01:37 PM
So I'm knitting my first pair of socks, and I've already got the first one done... and I keep trying on the finished sock. I know it fits.. although knitted socks don't feel like store bought socks, and I'm kinda leary about how the toes will feel inside my shoes. I hate anything binding against my toes etc. But my first question is anyone else ever do this?

my second question is the toes to me are too narrow feeling. I don't like how narrow the sock is at the toe... I was wondering if I could make a change such as knit a few extra rows of the gusset, and then maybe not make so many decreases at the toe so that when i do my kitchener stitch.. that the toe width will be a bit wider, but I'll still have the right foot length (if this makes sense to anyone, I don't explain things well). Anyway I'll be gratefull to anyone who could help me with this.

Simply_Renee
04-04-2009, 02:23 PM
ha ha- I wore my first sock on one foot until I got the second one done, so maybe I am not the best qualified to answer the "weird" question!

You can always start decreasing for the toes later and/or leave more stitches at the toe to kitchener. I usually do 12 stitches on top and 12 on bottom at the end, but you could leave more than that.

You explained it well, and the important thing is that you're happy with your own socks. They should fit your feet, not the other way around- so play around with it until you have them how you want.

Angieknits
04-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks Renee. Since this was my first sock project I was a bit afraid to step out there without talking to someone with expirence first.
BTW I added you on Ravelry too :D

Simply_Renee
04-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Oh- so that's you! *waves*

There are a lot of sock knitters on here to help- I just started knitting them a few months ago (and am hopelessly addicted)

Mike
04-04-2009, 03:08 PM
I always try on socks as I go.
Yes you can do less decreases at the toe and have a wider toe. But no need to extend the gusset unless it's too tight around the top of the foot. Extend the foot or even do extra even rows while you're decreasing the toe.

Jan in CA
04-04-2009, 03:12 PM
As everyone said decrease a few rows later. You can make a more rounded toe by putting less rows between decreases, too. It will shorten the sock so keep that in mind when you do it.

As for how they feel.. I love them, I just have too wide feet to wear them with shoes. :sad: I already have to buy wide shoes so that won't help much. :shrug:

imrachel
04-04-2009, 03:13 PM
My solution in that situation is always just extend the foot and then leave more sts when you're ready to Kitchner/graft them.

Angieknits
04-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks guys for all the help, and I think that's what I meant.. about extending the length of the foot just a little bit so I can leave more stitches at the end for the toe grafting. I'll get it strait, but at least now I have an idea of how to do it! :yay: :muah:

Crycket
04-04-2009, 07:38 PM
I love my knitted socks...store bought ones are the ones that make me feel weird these days!

Lisa R.
04-04-2009, 10:30 PM
On my very first pair of socks, it said "decrease till there are 12 stitches left.": I misread it and decreased till there were 12 stitches left on EACH needle.

I didn't realize it till I got to my second sock...and I looked at what it would mean to keep going to the required number....no way! Way too pointy for me.

Since then, I've always adjusted my toe stitches. I just like a much rounder toe than most patterns call for.

Plantgoddess+
04-06-2009, 10:46 AM
That's the nice thing about hand knit socks, you can customize them. I used to follow the directions on toes years ago and finally had an ah ha moment about shaping and do the same as the others. I start the shaping as written and then start decreasing every row until I get to about 20 stitches total and then kitchener. You can try them on as you work the toe and adjust as you go.
I still try on the 1st finished sock and admire even after knitting 50+ pair over the years.

MoniDew
04-06-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm echoing everyone else here. As goddess said, the beauty is that you can custom-fit anything because you are in control.
As for weird...
We all are!