PDA

View Full Version : ribbing

meistercats
04-05-2009, 06:06 AM
Hello,

I am doing a rib, k1 p1 and I think I'm doing good, I look at it and I did good for about an inch and then It gets messed up? I always start the next row with a k1 ? Why is my ribbing off sometimes?
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Lori

sweetiekxx
04-05-2009, 06:42 AM
I assume you are knitting a flat piece and when you start a new row, the needle in your left hand goes into your right hand and vice versa. Because you flip your work as you change rows you will need to do the opposite for your stitches, ie if the 1st stich was a knit, on the 2nd row you will need to purl and if 2nd stitch on the 1st row is a purl you will need to knit the 2nd stitch on the 2nd row. If you look at your work like columns of ribbing, if you see a knit stitch in the row below you will need to do a knit, see a purl stitch -> do a purl stitch. Hope that makes sense!

suzeeq
04-05-2009, 09:32 AM
If you have an even number of stitches, you would start every row with a knit. But you may have inadvertently added a stitch, so count them to see if it's the same you started with.

Learn what your knits and purls look like. So when you get to the next row, if a stitch looks like a purl, you purl it, or if it looks like a knit, you knit it.

Jan in CA
04-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Yep, you need to learn to read your knitting. Learning what the stitches look like will help you for the rest of your knitting life.

To rib - knit the knit stitches and purl the purl stitches.