PDA

View Full Version : Baby sweater pattern help

amsherman
04-05-2009, 07:24 PM
I am knitting a 5 hour baby sweater and was doing great until now. I put the two fronts, the two sleeves and the back onto stitch holders. The pattern then said to knit the sleeves, which I did. Now the pattern says, "Attach yarn at underarm on right side of work and knit across the body." I don't understand how to do that because the sleeves are in between the fronts and the back. Help!

Ingrid
04-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Are you supposed to attach the front to the back under the sleeve at the armpit?

I googled 5-hour Baby Sweater and saw several patterns. Which one are you doing?

amsherman
04-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Thank you so much for your help! The pattern I am doing is the 5 hour baby sweater pattern (aka The Weekend Sweater) from bevscountry cottage.com. About 3/4 of the way down on the second page it says, "Attach yarn at underarm on right side of work and K across body (81 sts)." I have 81 stitches between the 2 front sides and the back, so I agree with that. I don't know enough to understand what the pattern intends. It's been easy so far.....

aprilbetty
04-05-2009, 09:48 PM
I have made several (2) of these sweaters, so maybe I can explain.
On row 32 (where you put the stitches on holders) you have already knit across one of the fronts, so you will join the yarn at the underarm and finish knitting that row (81 sts total). What it does not say is that you have to put the stitches back on the needle first.

Actually, I think that I used one of the other 5-hour patterns that was a little bit clearer than this one.

amsherman
04-06-2009, 12:45 AM
Thank you so much for that explanation! Now it makes perfectly good sense. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me with this. I have actually now finished the sweater and it is very sweet.

aprilbetty
04-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Thank you so much for that explanation! Now it makes perfectly good sense. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me with this. I have actually now finished the sweater and it is very sweet.

Wow! That was fast! Did you post a picture on What'cha Knitting?

BarnabusCadbury
04-13-2009, 06:30 PM
yeah that's good that you figured that one out. Though if you do need some more help I found some knitting patterns for free (http://www.favecrafts.com/), it's a great place to find stuff. anything really.

sorifes
04-14-2009, 03:55 AM
omg I had this same problem!

I solved it quickly but deciding to make the arms on circular needles and just pullin up the loose stiches for this 'extra stich' it asks for. Worked the same for me. I barely have a hole to sew up

winnybear
04-24-2009, 09:21 PM
I am also trying to make this sweater - my first sweater ever! The version I'm following is here: http://gailbable.tripod.com/id41.html. I've just finished binding off the first sleeve and am confused about why I would leave one stitch on the needle, since it is at the hand end of the sleeve (not the underarm). Do I use that in the slip stitch to close the sleeve somehow?

suzeeq
04-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Yes, you slip stitch the edges of the sleeve to seam it up, then you end up with a stitch at the underam. Then you knit that with the back stitches.

winnybear
04-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the quick response - so apparently my problem is that i don't understand how to slip stitch the seam. I couldn't find a demo on this site. Can anyone help? Thanks again!

suzeeq
04-25-2009, 09:34 AM
It's using the crochet type of slip st, but I'll try to explain it, it' a bit like picking up sts and binding off at the same time.

Put the sleeve edges together, RS in, WS facing you, and the final st from the sleeve BO on the right needle. Insert the needle through both edge sts, wrap the yarn and bring it through. Pass the first st over the one you just picked up. Pick up the next st and repeat. You want to pick up in a ratio of 3 sts for every 4 along the sleeve edge so the seam isn't too tight or too 'gappy'.

winnybear
04-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Thank you! That was a great explanation. :cheering: