PDA

View Full Version : Teaching a 6 year old to knit - straights or circs?

Mommy22alyns
04-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Which would you suggest? And about what size would you start with?

Jan in CA
04-06-2009, 01:05 PM
I think I'd start with straights so he/she can get the hang of what they are doing w/o having to think about which way to turn it with circulars. Size 8 to 9 needles and worsted weight yarn is best IMO. Some people recommend bigger needles, but they aren't that easy to hold for little hands. Or mine for that matter! :teehee:

suzeeq
04-06-2009, 01:31 PM
There are kid needles available at Joann's. I think they're only about 7 or 8" long, and I think those might be a little easier for them to use than 10" regular ones.

Abbily
04-06-2009, 02:09 PM
I taught my 6 yo daughter to knit with short size 8s.

Simply_Renee
04-07-2009, 05:02 PM
I like short straights, & it's easier if they're different colors. I have tried showing my 6 yr old son (his request) but he hasn't quite gotten the hang if it yet. It's easier telling him what color needle than if it's right or left (although he knows his rights and lefts!)

NoGrinchHere
04-07-2009, 07:18 PM
I've taught children to knit using straight needles. I love the idea of using two different colors of needles - I think that would make it easier!! I used worsted weight yarn, also. Another thing to consider is yarn color - don't pick anything too dark - it's difficult for them to see the stitches.

Good luck and have fun!

suzeeq
04-07-2009, 10:13 PM
The kid needles I mentioned...? They're 2 different colors.

KnittingNana
04-07-2009, 10:26 PM
I saw these in a yarn shop just last week & they're so cute!

http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/Pony_Knitting_Needles-Childrens_Knitting_Needles_by_Pony-2714.html

These can be found at Hobby Lobby as well as at yarn shops. I've used these before for coasters & really liked them.

http://www.knittersreview.com/article_tool.asp?article=/review/product/020523_a.asp

wezyus
04-08-2009, 02:14 AM
Last year in Nov 08 i bought 1 pack of 4 pair of needles starting size from 5mm to 6.5mm n the length is 9" or 22 cm, of different colors...its of plastic n very solid n the cost is 99p at Sam 99p shop in Walthamstow, London ...At the same place i bought 1 pair of circular needle size 4mm, model Milward n 80 cm long...its unbelievable when comparing the prices of that's at John Lewis..

Koehnae
04-08-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm actually surprised everyone recommended straights. When teaching my nieces (5 and 6) and a cousin's daughter (6), they all found the circs easier to handle. I taught my 6 year old niece first. She was ready to give up when I had her using the straights... so I tried switching her to the circs in the same size and she bolted through the next rows. My own knitting also improved dramatically when i switched to exclusively using circs. I guess this is another case of "see what works best for the individual." Gee... I'm no help. :aww:

suzeeq
04-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Actually I would think circs would be better too. The needles are only about 4-5" long and probably easier to handle. I tried out a pattern a couple months ago and the only needles the right size with nothing on them were some straights. It was really difficult to handle them, so I can see why a lot of new knitters have problems learning on them.

knittingincarolina
04-08-2009, 01:45 PM
I think it's great you're teaching a child to knit. I agree with EarthWhispers regarding circulars. They don't have to worry about dropping needles and they are smaller.

Anarfea
04-09-2009, 05:31 PM
When I was a kid (I'm not sure how old) I learned to knit using one of those spools that makes an i-cord like tube. That was really easy and looked good right away.

OffJumpsJack
04-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Teaching a 6 year old to knit - straights or circs?
Which would you suggest? And about what size would you start with?

Recited with the knitting stitch:
"In through the front door, up over the back, peek through the window, and off jumps Jack."

Recited with a purl stitch:
"Under the fence, [we] catch the sheep, back we come, [and] off we leap"

For some reason I'm better at remembering the first rhyme than the second. ;)

ArtLady1981
04-10-2009, 05:12 PM
I taught my little granddaughter on bamboo circs, size US11 on fat yarn. Circs were easier on her itty bitty little wrists. And the 'other' needle didn't get lost.