PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?

OffJumpsJack
04-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Lately I haven't felt like knitting (or crocheting either). :sad: Maybe it is because my projects were related to winter. Maybe it was because I had other cares the were more important. :eyebrow2: I'm not sure why, but I haven't wanted to work on any of my projects.

What do you do when you've lost the desire to knit? :think:

:roll: Truth is, I can't think of any project for summer.

mwhite
04-06-2009, 04:52 PM
I garden, just as obsessed with it as I am knitting. During the growing season, when it rains or the weather is bad, knitting kicks back in.

Jan in CA
04-06-2009, 04:59 PM
I just do something else for awhile. I make sure to visit here though anyway because it can kickstart you back up again. :thumbsup:

laikabear
04-06-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm kind of a serial hobbyist and it's weird knitting has stuck so well. A couple of months after I learned, I started to get restless and so I learned another craft - temari. It's basically embroidery on the surface of a ball wrapped in thread.

After a while, I missed knitting and picked it back up. I've tried to branch out a bit in my projects and learn new techniques to avoid the doldrums. I'd say, do something else and don't worry about it. The urge to knit will most likely be back! :mrgreen:

Mike
04-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Socks for winter. Sweaters for cooler times. Granny squares to put together in cooler times.

mwhite
04-06-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm kind of a serial hobbyist and it's weird knitting has stuck so well. A couple of months after I learned, I started to get restless and so I learned another craft - temari. It's basically embroidery on the surface of a ball wrapped in thread.

These are absolutely gorgeous!

rachael72knitter
04-06-2009, 06:32 PM
If I am doing something summer related, chances are they are the Summerlin pattern sundress for my friends with little girls, and halter tops and camis for me. or lacy shawls. The patterns are there, maybe knitting something more summery will get you out of the slump?

KathleenG
04-06-2009, 06:38 PM
I do heirloom sewing, hand embroidery or my other great passion: read!

Jan in CA
04-06-2009, 07:05 PM
These are absolutely gorgeous!

Oh I agree! Beautiful work. Never heard of Temari before.

Crycket
04-06-2009, 07:06 PM
I play World of Warcraft...or the Sims 2, or SimCity...or some other variety of computer game...

I also usually get interested in something I haven't tried for a while...cross stitch, beading, friendship bracelets...etc...

Usually, what I need most when I have lost my knitting bug, is to find something inspiring to make...Harry Potter inspiration took my a long way!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-06-2009, 07:25 PM
quilt.

Craw
04-06-2009, 07:29 PM
When I've lost the bug to pick up the hook or needles I browse through my magazines and pattern books. Something usually strikes me after a while. :) Come to think of it, I usually buy yarn too. :)

Koehnae
04-06-2009, 08:10 PM
If I'm just not in the knitting mood I tend to go back to one of my other hobbies... crochet, sewing, cross-stitch, reading or computer games. After a few days, I usually get bit by the knitting bug again. Sometimes you just need a break.

TEMA
04-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Make a quilt... or just knit anyway... nothing, anything.
I had some thick green yarn so I made it into a Pea Pod Cozy of my own design... sort of... something a person cannot go wrong with just for the sake of having something to knit.
TEMA:thumbsup:

Jaxhil
04-07-2009, 06:27 AM
I've had the same problem lately! I was thinking today I should start some new dishcloths~easy, mindless, and best of all, QUICK! lol~plus I love the bright colors I can use.

If I don't even feel like that, then I just do something else for awhile~sew, garden (I've planted eight trees this past 3 weeks!!) or *read*. I was even thinking of starting sewing a quilt I've had cut out for over ten years (yikes!) but never sewed together. I also started sewing a set of PJ's for my DD~which are done except for the buttonholes and adjusting the length.

What other hobbies do you have? Do you have a project you started long ago that you can finish just for the sake of finishing, knitting or otherwise?

hope you can find something fun to do. I really can sympathize! I need to finish the shawl I started for my DM (3/4's done) for last Christmas :oo:

Doublereeder2
04-07-2009, 07:15 AM
I go for small projects and happy colors. Washcloths, socks, baby stuff, etc.

OffJumpsJack
04-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Oh I agree! Beautiful work. Never heard of Temari before.

I agree with both parts of that statements! Beautiful Temari. :thumbsup:

I really appreciate all your comments and suggestions (well maybe with the exceptions of sewing and quilting ;) LOL)

:think:

It is springtime (warm yesterday, cooler today but warmer again the next few days)! It might even be warm enough tomorrow to get out the old water rocket launch pad and tinker with a two bottle rocket or even a two stage water rocket.

And my son has the Spring Cub-0-ree comming up; his Scout pack is building a table top catapult. I've got a couple design drawings I can plot out and send to the leader.

Hey, I might even think of some knitting or crochet ideas for use in camping. An equipment net-bag, sundry-item tote (I hope the camp site has hot showers!)

Okay, best not to over do it. Thanks again!

Simply_Renee
04-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Oh my gosh Maureen, that embroidery is AWESOME! I had never heard of that before.

Sometimes I don't knit for a little while and do something else instead. I have done this with other hobbies too, but I always come back to it.

knittingincarolina
04-07-2009, 01:24 PM
In the summer, I work on cotton hats for chemo patients, or dishcloths for Christmas presents.

Thestrel
04-07-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm like Crycket, I play World of Warcraft or the Sims 2. Though I also play them while I'm in knitting mode, so they just might help keep me from getting "burned out" on knitting in the first place. I also read, as there isn't anything like getting immersed in a good book!

If I'm just feeling uninspired, I will looking through the recently added patterns on Ravelry, FO threads in the groups I'm in there or just cruise patterns period.

For my summer knitting, I'm hoping to get good at socks and maybe knit a couple market bags that I have queued. :)

laikabear
04-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Not to hijack (well, ok it is a hijack!) but I'm doing a brief tutorial on my blog this week on how to make a temari if anyone's interested.

...Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

I know what you mean about the hot showers! I love camping but after a couple days without washing my hair I feel GROOOOOSSS! The rockets and catapults sound like fun!

bambi
04-07-2009, 10:28 PM
I sew or I read! I have been so busy knitting with the occasional sewing project thrown in that I'm WAY behind in my reading.

I can never leave the needles alone for too long, though.

Bambi

wezyus
04-08-2009, 01:53 AM
When getting fed up with knitting(which dont think that it wud be possible since my visit to this cool forum) i go round to visit relatives n sew something for me or go to cinema bcoz even when watching TV movies i like to hve something in hand either sewing or knitting ...i cant sit idle...its as if i got addicted with it n i hve many knitting projects in mind.

margz3
04-08-2009, 09:26 AM

After a while, I missed knitting and picked it back up. I've tried to branch out a bit in my projects and learn new techniques to avoid the doldrums. I'd say, do something else and don't worry about it. The urge to knit will most likely be back! :mrgreen:

LOL about the serial hobbyist...that has always been me, and like you knitting has somehow stuck!

And your temari is just beautiful! May need to check that out!

Jack - I love the idea of incorporating knitting/crocheting into useful camping items! Might be just the nudge you need! If you do, let us know....I camp too and would love to see what you come up with :)

Simply_Renee
04-08-2009, 09:59 AM
I also like to camp and would be interested.

(I usually play lots of video games when I am on knitting hiatus. Like Sims 2 or Diablo or Halo or something. Although I have been known to knit some on load screens while I am at it.) Or read.

Only one obsessive hobby at a time, please. :happydance:

mwhite
04-08-2009, 10:06 AM
LOL about the serial hobbyist...that has always been me, and like you knitting has somehow stuck!

And this is such a good description for some, most, all of us! LOL :teehee:
Hubby swears he can't understand how I can get so deeply enthralled with needlework or gardening. In the ZONE and love the details from germinating seeds to clipping corners to binding off....LOVE IT!!!

cheley
04-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Not to hijack (well, ok it is a hijack!) but I'm doing a brief tutorial on my blog this week on how to make a temari if anyone's interested.

...Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

I know what you mean about the hot showers! I love camping but after a couple days without washing my hair I feel GROOOOOSSS! The rockets and catapults sound like fun! Hi very nice "hobby"...I noticed you "suffer" from tendonitis too.....Mine is in "both" wrists (and CT in my rt hand already had surgery) anyway..I have been Painting (rooms) Crocheting and Knitting...well,,,yikes am I paying for it..had to stop "crafting" (it's been about a week) what do you do for your ailment? Any specific "stretching"? I do have a (I hate the word brace..it's more like a bowlers glove) with a nice gel form on the palm that keeps everything kinda tight...Thanks

OffJumpsJack
04-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Not to hijack (well, ok it is a hijack!) but...
:roflhard:

Well, at least I got a Hi Jack out of that... :roflhard:

I'm :roflhard: while other are :eyebrow2: ? Perhaps. :)