PDA

View Full Version : Vent: Receipt Checkers At Door!!!!!!!!!

Arielluria
04-06-2009, 07:30 PM
:mad: It's always irked me to have my receipt checked at Walmart or other stores, but I'm ESPECIALLY mad at the fact they checked mine and only mine the other day, they were not checking others. I had not done anything wrong, so though I argued he was only checking mine I went ahead and let him.

I shop at this store weekly so they know my face! This is close to an affluent part of town, so I think it's safe to call it that.

Next time, however, it WILL be different! I am trying hard not to be a Full Metal Christian, because I know it's a wrong heart attitude, and I won't be rude next time, but I know my rights and if it happens again either they will have to call the police on me or I call the police to complain that I am being detained against my will!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a vent/rant, but I also wanted to pass on these great links with info so everyone knows they don't HAVE to show their receipts unless an alarm goes off!

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thecheckout/2007/03/checking_your_receipt_or_check.html

http://consumerist.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=1488&page=1#9144

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080131145728AAhJn1E

http://www.swlearning.com/blaw/cases/reasonable_detention.html

JustAFloridaGirl
04-07-2009, 12:23 AM
You realize the police have better things to do, right?

I've never looked at receipt checking as anything more than the store doing what they have to to make sure they reduce theft. More shrink = higher prices. It doesn't bother me because I don't have anything to hide.

Jan in CA
04-07-2009, 12:28 AM
It doesn't bother me either. :shrug: I'm sorry you were offended.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-07-2009, 01:55 AM
there's actually a way around it... i just go and have my receipt in hand. i shop 2-3 times per week at my local walmart... they know me and my dh, my FIL and stepson have both worked there and the ONLY time they check mine is if i have something on the bottom of my cart or if the buzzer goes off (i always have my electronics bagged together and i put it in the seat part of the cart. I have my dh or one of my kids walk through with the bag and the reciept in hand)

it's part of keeping the prices lower.

Mike
04-07-2009, 02:07 AM
I never have a problem. I tend to either carry the receipt in my hand and offer or not.
If I put it in the bag I place it so it shows.
If I pay at the back of the store I either have them tie the bag and staple it or I definitely carry the receipt.

The only thing that really bugged me was when I had long hair I would always hear "Code 6 Isle __" for whatever isle I was in. And someone would be by to "ask if I needed any help".
Obviously it was a shop lifting alert.
Yet when I wanted help for something like a fishing license I could wait around for an hour with nobody offering any help. One time I hopped up on the counter and had a seat before anyone stopped to help.

ArtLady1981
04-07-2009, 02:40 AM
The fact that they chose YOU to check was prolly just random...like at the airport...they pull folks out of line for a body scan PURELY RANDOM. Otherwise they'd be guilty of profiling.

Maybe the security team decides each day..."Okay, today, you check every 10th receipt" Then the next day they pull a number from a hat and check every Nth receipt. Totally random.

At COSTCO, the exit doorman or lady checks EVERY doggone receipt. Shhheees. My COSTCO shopping usually totals $500. I'm sure they can really scan that much in the short time they check.

I dunno, maybe part of it is as a deterrent to the possiblity of dishonest cash register checkers who put their friends through without scanning an item or two. You know, the old 'scan this and that, but skip this and that' routine.

One of my son's friends were doing that at a local grocery store about 10 years ago. Who'd think they could get away with something so risky and dumb and dishonest?
He didn't. He got fired eventually, although I don't know the details of his demise.

Crycket
04-07-2009, 08:05 AM
The only place I have ever been that checks receipts is Costco....

The Walmarts have those alarm things...and where I am...they can go off..and no body even bothers to check...

But all that is not saying to much...I try to avoid Walmart as much as possible....

dustinac
04-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Where I do most of my grocery shopping they don't let you take your groceries out unless you can carry them. Instead they put all your groceries in bins and send them outside...then you drive around and someone loads them into your car for you. It's nice on a cold wet icky day :teehee:

When I do go to Wal-mart you just never know they may check the person in front of me but not me, or the other way around...I just always have my receipt out in case...Usually when I am stopped it's when I have some items not in the bags and on the bottom of the buggy (kitty litter, pop, etc)

I never really thought to much about it or how they decided who to check

knitgal
04-07-2009, 08:41 AM
I know where you're coming from and it can be frustrating. What I think you should understand is that they are not doing it to offend you or because they think you're stealing. They're doing it because they have to. The fact is that people steal. I work at a clothing store and we have had a lot of people steal. It is very unfortunate, and it's so frustrating because you often have no idea who did it. It's not like there's a certain type of person to look out for, so you have to look out for everybody.
It's probably like Artlady said, the receipt checker was told to check every 10 receipts or something. It definitely wasn't because they thought you were stealing, only because there are a lot that do.

saracidaltendencies
04-07-2009, 09:00 AM
I've noticed most of the time, at my local Wal-Mart, receipts are checked depending on what kind of items you bought. Every time we made a large electronics purchase, our receipt was checked...At our Wal-Mart, it's usually the items that are too large for a bag that are checked and marked on the receipt. I think, at least out here, if the item is maybe a "high risk" item the receipt is checked. The receipt checkers there know my family (or at least did, we haven't shopped there in months...well, anywhere really but the grocery store...lol) and we'd still have our receipts checked occasionally. Whenever we'd shop there, I never put my receipt away until we were out the door. I'm sorry it has upset you, but, it's just part of Wal-Mart.

tgriffin541
04-07-2009, 09:48 AM
I know how you feel.....we once bought a gaming chair that came in a large box. It was on the bottom of our cart, and my husband handed the cashier the sticker from the box. She didn't ring it up. We got stopped at the door for them to check (which I expected so had my receipt ready). The lady checking the receipt acted like we'd tried to steal the chair! I explained to her we'd handed the cashier the sticker so figured she'd scanned it. It took a couple of minutes and me starting to get mad at being accused of stealing before they decided to believe me. We went back to a register and they scanned the box and we paid for it. I guess people are so bold to place something in plain sight they are trying to steal. I was not happy at being accused of stealing. And really try not to shop at Wal Mart when I don't have to. Their attitude towards us was uncalled for.

cdjack
04-07-2009, 10:39 AM
I don't really see the big deal about having your receipt checked.

However, I've noticed that if you have your receipt in your hand, the man or woman at the door is more likely to let you walk on by.

JessicaR
04-07-2009, 10:41 AM
I guess I just grew up in a time where it was "normal." Kinda like the whole seat belt debate. Usually I have my receipt in hand til I leave the store and only have been asked when I have large items not in bags. The people even know me, I used to work there. It just doesn't bother me, but that's me.

Arielluria
04-07-2009, 10:43 AM
You realize the police have better things to do, right?

I've never looked at receipt checking as anything more than the store doing what they have to to make sure they reduce theft. More shrink = higher prices. It doesn't bother me because I don't have anything to hide.Police enforce laws. The law says you don't have to show your receipt. Period!

Checking receipts is an intimidation tactic which ticks off more honest clientelle than it does catch crooks - especially as more of that theft is employee rather than shopper related. Do you really think anyone can notice in a basket and receipt for 50 or more items whether something is stolen?!?

I have nothing to hide either, I have returned a $1 item which I found the checker had overlooked in the bottom of my basket so my conscience is more than clear! HOWEVER, not only do they not have the legal right to check (if you'll read my links) and I've always shown it without any offense taken...........BUT, when they single me out as they let others pass, whether it's by the color of my skin, the clothes I'm wearing or whatever (like Mike mentioned he had happen to him when he had long hair), THEN it offends me, and it should you as well because next month they could be picking dark haired people, asians, people driving motorcycles, or because you have a Ron Paul :D bumper sticker, or some such arbitrary thing! That's why the law which those police officers enforce says they better have proof of your stealing if they try to detain you! Until then your purchase, and your receipt is private property.

I only wanted people to know because I am majorly ticked at being singled out. I'm a well-dressed white female, I shop at that Walmart weekly but that doesn't matter one way or another. If I go to a different store which I've never been to before the laws still apply.

Arielluria
04-07-2009, 10:46 AM
I know how you feel.....we once bought a gaming chair that came in a large box. It was on the bottom of our cart, and my husband handed the cashier the sticker from the box. She didn't ring it up. We got stopped at the door for them to check (which I expected so had my receipt ready). The lady checking the receipt acted like we'd tried to steal the chair! I explained to her we'd handed the cashier the sticker so figured she'd scanned it. It took a couple of minutes and me starting to get mad at being accused of stealing before they decided to believe me. We went back to a register and they scanned the box and we paid for it. I guess people are so bold to place something in plain sight they are trying to steal. I was not happy at being accused of stealing. And really try not to shop at Wal Mart when I don't have to. Their attitude towards us was uncalled for.THAT checking I understand, it's possible the checker even could have forgotten to scan it, which is why most stores have them put a bright sticker on it to show the door greeters that it was not overlooked.

And places like Costco and Sam's (if you read any of the links I posted) make you sign an agreement which states they will check at the door. Even then they can't force you to show your receipt, the most they can do is revoke your membership.

GinnyG
04-07-2009, 10:59 AM
I absolutely agree with you and understand how you feel. I stopped shopping at Sam's Club a few years back and that was one of the reasons.

The checkouts are directly in front of the door, there is no where to go but directly from checkout to door. Stopping me at the door to check my receipt is a waste of time and made me feel like a petty criminal.

THEY DON"T EVEN REALLY CHECK THE RECEIPT. One of the last times I was there I intentionally took an old receipt, that had an entirely different number of items on it. The checker asked for my receipt, examined it closely (or at least pretended to), nodded his head and waved me through.

I don't believe it lowers prices at all, anyone who pays attention will quickly realize that they are simply scanning the receipt. People who steal items hide the items in coats or pockets so checking the receipt reveal nothing.

I will not shop at a store that treats me like a criminal. That includes the stores that follow you around at elbow distance after you politely tell them you need no help.

Mike
04-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Every time we made a large electronics purchase, our receipt was checked...At our Wal-Mart, it's usually the items that are too large for a bag that are checked and marked on the receipt.
Yet I cart out a 32" flat screen and nobody checked me. :p

(like Mike mentioned he had happen to him when he had long hair)
When I had long hair I would get stopped at least once a month for traffic violations, out of all that (probably about 20 years of driving with long hair) I have got one single ticket.
I've had cops try to pick fights with me during those senseless wastes of my time.

Since I've shaved my head I haven't been stopped even once and I no longer have people following me around the stores.

Yes it is wrong. Treat someone like a criminal and eventually they will act like one.
It's also stupid, the worst thieves aren't going to attract attention to themselves by looking different. But the stores don't get that impression because they pay the most attention to those who look different so that's who they catch the most.

Can I assume you have a look that makes you a target?

Carry your receipt in your hand and offer it before they ask. They'll probably wave you threw since you offered.
The whole reason I do that is because of how I was treated when I had long hair.

Lucy78green
04-07-2009, 01:11 PM
When I worked in the local supermarket when I was 17 all staff members had to have their receipts signed by a manager, even if they were shopping there on their "off" days. I was also banned from serving family members at the till

LadyFirelyght
04-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Stand up for the rights that the Constitution (if you live in the US, obviously) has given you. If you're not required by law to do it, it's your choice to do it or not. But if you choose not to let them into your privacy (because once you pay for the items, they're your private possessions), they have no legal right to invade it. Again, stand up for your rights.

Arielluria
04-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Can I assume you have a look that makes you a target?I would say no, unless a white female, 41 years old, well dressed with her hair up in a bun, driving a mini-van is suddenly on the list of most likely to be dangerous! :teehee: ...........the only time I'm dangerous is when I'm looking at the yarn display in the store! (But only dangerous to my pocketbook).

Even so, I don't care if you are the spitting image of Hitler, it's wrong to assume anything about anyone based on what they look like, wear or don't wear, etc.

Thanks all for letting me vent. My DH says I would have made a great hippie :roll: because I'm always ready to protest for anyone's rights, or get on the side of a cause I believe in. I take that as a compliment!

P.S.: Many years ago a Target we shopped at started checking at the door too. A greeter with a real attitude said she had to look in my purse because the purse looked like it came from Target (as I entered)! I told her that yes, I had bought it there and told her the pants I was wearing did too - I asked if she wanted me to take them off right then and there. She didn't answer :shock: and a couple of weeks later they quit 'greeting' at all!
:lol:

Arielluria
04-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Stand up for the rights that the Constitution (if you live in the US, obviously) has given you. If you're not required by law to do it, it's your choice to do it or not. But if you choose not to let them into your privacy (because once you pay for the items, they're your private possessions), they have no legal right to invade it. Again, stand up for your rights.Thanks! You put it exactly as I would have if I could! :notworthy:

There should be a "high five" button on this forum! ;):hug:

LadyFirelyght
04-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks! You put it exactly as I would have if I could! :notworthy:

There should be a "high five" button on this forum! ;):hug:
Well, I had just finished watching this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_EKxVmipAM), and it scares me how badly people are trying to undermine our personal liberties.

Benjamin Franklin once said, "Those who would trade their liberty for safety deserve neither."

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-08-2009, 10:07 AM
if it bothers you that much then don't shop at best buy either. they check pretty much EVERYONE'S receipt on their way out the door to the parking lot... esp if you have items in your cart too large to be bagged.

Arielluria
04-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Well, I had just finished watching this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_EKxVmipAM), and it scares me how badly people are trying to undermine our personal liberties.

Benjamin Franklin once said, "Those who would trade their liberty for safety deserve neither."Coincidentally and unrelated to my Walmart story, my husband told me about this just last night, so thanks for the link because I had not seen this before.

It's important we know our Constitutional rights. Abuse of power is what this video shows! He was hassled not only because of the cash but because he was carrying 'Campaign For Liberty' literature, Ron Paul bumper stickers, etc.

Arielluria
04-08-2009, 02:07 PM
if it bothers you that much then don't shop at best buy either. they check pretty much EVERYONE'S receipt on their way out the door to the parking lot... esp if you have items in your cart too large to be bagged.As I stated earlier, it's UNDERSTANDABLE to check your cart when items are too large to be bagged, even though it's unlikely the checker would overlook a huge TV or something large.

Otherwise, law goes for Best Buy as it does for Walmart, what you paid for is yours and there's no law that says you have to show your receipt. There's constant video monitoring in these stores, by the time you leave, they KNOW if they have you on video stealing something. They call police, show evidence, you go to jail.

I doubt they could force you to show receipt even if they have it writte on their door before you enter that your receipt will be checked because it's not a LAW! The most they can do is turn you away next time.

JustAFloridaGirl
04-08-2009, 02:27 PM
I've worked retail for many years and I've NEVER had any Loss Prevention training that says "Make sure you customer service the heck out of people who are black, or have long hair, or look poor, etc. because they're the types that steal." The training I've received actually goes along the lines of "Make sure you customer service the heck out of anyone acting suspicious." Now, I can't account for the prejudices of other employees, but I know that I don't care if you come in looking like a hobo, or if you're a well-dressed white woman driving a mini-van...if you act suspicious, I'm gonna keep an eye on you.

In fact, just two weeks ago I had a well-dressed white woman come into my section of the store with a large diaper bag but no baby. Of course I kept an eye on her and I alerted the other departments, too. Being a well-dressed white woman didn't stop me from thinking that carrying a large diaper bag into a store without a baby (and she was definitely alone, there was no daddy or friend in another section of the store who actually had the baby) was suspicious.

Now, not everybody who gets checked is acting suspicious. Like above posters have said, sometimes certain items get checked. Period. When I'm ringing someone out, I HAVE to check such items as trash cans and comforters because thieves will hide stuff inside them. Again, it doesn't matter if you look like a hobo or a well-dressed white woman. Store policy is that I check these items or I get in trouble. I'm not going to lose my job simply because you're offended.

Also, in this economy, I'm not going to put my job in jeopardy by not doing my part to reduce theft. More theft means the store loses money. When a store loses money it doesn't make as much of a profit. Profit is what determines how many hours the store gets to dole out to it's employees.

If you REALLY have that much of a problem with the practice, rather than taking it out on the employee (who is just doing his or her job) and before you contact the police (who yes, enforce laws, but will laugh at you if you call and complain about such a trivial matter when there are murderers and pedophiles to catch) why don't you try talking to store management and then going up the chain of command? In this, the United States of the Offended, people are SO ready to jump to the most extreme way to handle things. No wonder the people in this country are so sue happy.

OffJumpsJack
04-08-2009, 02:46 PM
I would say no, unless a white female, 41 years old, well dressed with her hair up in a bun, driving a mini-van is suddenly on the list of most likely to be dangerous! :teehee:

:roflhard:

Depends. Would you be Thelma or Louise? :) ;)

Thank you for the links you provided. I am now better informed. I have never seldom taken it personally when a greeter/checker asked to check my receipt. I have been irritated on occasion when it was inconvenient (like being short on time.) Now I know I can refuse, politely. :thumbsup:

:think:
Have you considered that the checker at the door is likely to be underpaid? He or she may not have been properly informed of the stores legal limits? It is possible that he or she could be reprimanded for not asking or checking often enough. :sad:

Unfortunately, those employer tactics are used and often are not easy to correct under existing employment laws.

Individual rights, under-valued employees, overbearing management, compassion, and principals are all hard to balance. :shrug:

Sometimes it is hard to not take something personally. At these times is when I find myself adding to my list: "If I were King for a day..."

Have you heard the joke about how many psychologist it takes to change a light bulb? (only one, but the light bulb must want to change.) :think:

I think many criminals are like that, no one knows how to rehabilitate criminals because they haven't addressed that first, "they must want to change."

... and so the majority must are asked to suffer some inconveniences.

It is always good to know when you can say "No."

Arielluria
04-08-2009, 02:48 PM
I know how hard retail can be and I never said or implied in any way that I would "take it out on the employee"!!!!!!!!!!!!! FYI, I saw that same greeter this morning at Walmart and I was cordial, as I always am, and we all should be! I have no doubt that well dressed people shoplift too, I only used that to describe myself since someone asked if I was the type to arouse suspicion - so I had to describe myself.

My point, which was reiterated by many if not most here is that we don't HAVE to show our receipt. There's no law! It's nothing against anyone who works there, nor the cashier nor greeter, but the store policy itself - if not our very own civil rights. I am a naturalized American citizen and as such I appreciate and hold those rights VERY dear!

I like your thought of talking to store management and in hindsight I wish I had done that. I wasn't rude to the greeter, BTW, HE was rude to me!!!!!!!!!!! Keep THAT in perspective!

Arielluria
04-08-2009, 02:51 PM

Depends. Would you be Thelma or Louise? :) ;)

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Mike
04-08-2009, 03:14 PM
I've worked retail for many years and I've NEVER had any Loss Prevention training that says "Make sure you customer service the heck out of people who are black, or have long hair, or look poor, etc. because they're the types that steal." The training I've received actually goes along the lines of "Make sure you customer service the heck out of anyone acting suspicious." Now, I can't account for the prejudices of other employees, but I know that I don't care if you come in looking like a hobo, or if you're a well-dressed white woman driving a mini-van...if you act suspicious, I'm gonna keep an eye on you.

I like that, "customer service the heck out of people" :rofl:

When I had long hair I felt like I had my own personal shopper ... at least I would've if they would've done stuff like push my cart instead of acting like they were straightening up a shelf.

OffJumpsJack
04-08-2009, 03:30 PM
If you REALLY have that much of a problem with the practice, rather than taking it out on the employee (who is just doing his or her job) and before you contact the police (who yes, enforce laws, but will laugh at you if you call and complain about such a trivial matter when there are murderers and pedophiles to catch) why don't you try talking to store management and then going up the chain of command?

Ah, FloridaGirl, did you take it personally? :oops:

I hadn't read all the post and misted yours and LadyFirelyght's with the video. But I would say Unlawful Detention is no trivial matter.

I will say that the video was from "freedom watch" which I have not heard of but I saw a Fox "News" logo on the front of the anchor desk. I will also say the I am always the skeptic when Fox "new" is involved. I put them in the same category with Jerry Springer, sensationalized to provoke deep feelings.

However I would not detract from the brief nugget of truth in the story, it was about unlawful detention and personal liberty. These United States of America were founded on inalienable rights. We who are peaceable, law abiding citizens should not fear law enforcement.

And we should not be in fear of losing our jobs, when asked to do more than the employer is legally able to request. :oo:

Are large companies and chain retailer causing us to feel pinched between two fears? :sad:

Well, that is a question for another thread.

I'm gland to know that I can politely refuse to show a receipt if there has been no alarm triggered.

Arielluria
04-08-2009, 03:35 PM
In fact, just two weeks ago I had a well-dressed white woman come into my section of the store with a large diaper bag but no baby. Of course I kept an eye on her and I alerted the other departments, too. Being a well-dressed white woman didn't stop me from thinking that carrying a large diaper bag into a store without a baby (and she was definitely alone, there was no daddy or friend in another section of the store who actually had the baby) was suspicious.I guess we'd better not carry our knitting bags! I sometimes do because if I'm in line very long I can take out a sock and start to knit.

DON'T be intimidated against calling police because of one might call a "minor" infraction, the police and the courts are the ones who work for YOU and decide what's minor or not. I once witnessed an officer nearly draw his gun on a guy who worked for my builder and was stealing lumber from my property (on builders' orders because he did not pay the lumber mill). Yes, there were pedophiles, drug dealers and murderers they could be running after and I'm sure they would have dropped my 'problem' if they were called to a bigger emergency - which I would totally understand.

Nuff said?!?

I didn't mean to start a knitter's war here, nor to offend anyone who works retail...............after all, we do all have pointy sticks here, it would pretty much be a draw! :roflhard: Also, we all shop and I think we can agree there are jerks who shop and jerks who WORK at the stores where we shop, and we must act within the law no matter what........and so must they - whether they are having a bad day or don't like their boss or whatever their beef might be.

:muah:

Arielluria
04-08-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm gland to know that I can politely refuse to show a receipt if there has been no alarm triggered.
:waving:I would NEVER refuse if an alarm is triggered. I've had that happen when CDs I've purchased weren't properly cleared at the register!

cftwo
04-08-2009, 03:43 PM
You know, I don't think I've ever seen random checks of bags on exiting a store. When an alarm is triggered, yes. For no good reason I could tell, no.

I did see regular checks of bags when I worked in a private non-circulating library - everyone's bags were checked (even the CEO's) when we left. (Then again, the whole idea of a non-circulating library is that nothing left the building.) But not stores.

OffJumpsJack
04-08-2009, 03:53 PM
I like that, "customer service the heck out of people" :rofl:

When I had long hair I felt like I had my own personal shopper ... at least I would've if they would've done stuff like push my cart instead of acting like they were straightening up a shelf.

:) I so see the humor in that.

I can also see the employee's fear of loosing a job for not "customer service the heck out of people" that are acting in a way that the employer would or might think is suspicious. :oo: :sad:

I am very tempted to start that thread asking if our current economic condition is simply a inevitable result of big business and large commercial chains dehumanizing both the employees and the customers.

I vote for LYS's local merchants and small businesses, can anyone take that message to our leaders?

Sorry, I tried not to hijack this thread; but then I do want to be friendly and I also use the nick name of Jack. ;)

And I can't resist a bad pun. ;)

Jan in CA
04-08-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm not singling anyone out, but obviously there are some strong feelings on both sides of this issue so let's be careful how we word our posts. :hug:

LadyFirelyght
04-08-2009, 08:32 PM
The problem, Jack, isn't with "big businesses" dehumanizing the employees and customers. The problem is with people in general dehumanizing each other. With so many people looking out for "number one", it's easy to see why our personal liberties are being trampled on.

JustAFloridaGirl
04-09-2009, 02:18 AM
DON'T be intimidated against calling police because of one might call a "minor" infraction, the police and the courts are the ones who work for YOU and decide what's minor or not. I once witnessed an officer nearly draw his gun on a guy who worked for my builder and was stealing lumber from my property (on builders' orders because he did not pay the lumber mill). Yes, there were pedophiles, drug dealers and murderers they could be running after and I'm sure they would have dropped my 'problem' if they were called to a bigger emergency - which I would totally understand.

Ok, so you have said over and over again that it is illegal to detain someone against their will. That's obviously common sense, the store employees are not police officers, they have no right to do so.

However, the store is private property and DOES retain the right to establish their own rules and regulations that one has to follow while on that property. It's not illegal for a store to do that.

So, considering that if you DO stop it's obviously of your own volition (because you know your legal rights and you know that entails being able to legally keep on walking) and so the employee is then merely enforcing store policy and not unlawfully detaining you. That's why the police would consider it a trivial matter...because at that point there is nothing illegal going on.

Also, I have a lot of respect for people who come into this country and go the legal route of becoming citizens, I really do. However, being that my family has lived in this country for years, I can trace back many family members who have fought for the rights you say you hold so dear. I don't really appreciate being lectured that I don't know what those rights are. My grandfathers would roll in their graves if they thought I was taking my rights for granted.

Crycket
04-09-2009, 08:08 AM
The fact is that people steal. I work at a clothing store and we have had a lot of people steal. It is very unfortunate, and it's so frustrating because you often have no idea who did it. It's not like there's a certain type of person to look out for, so you have to look out for everybody.

I find it infuriating....I work at a LYS and ppl steal samples....sample blankets, sample socks...I mean honestly....

The thing that really gets me, is the ppl that steal needles, or such things, and leave the package hanging on the rack...Every now and again, you will find a lonely little package, devoid of all contents...

*sigh*

Craw
04-09-2009, 08:59 AM
I didn't know I could refuse to show a receipt either. Thanx for informing me. :) Walmart checks here. Another store, CompUSA, used to do that too but they're closed now. Those are about the only stores I know that did that. I'm rarely in Walmart anymore so it may never be a problem for me but I can see how annoying it would be to stand on line, waiting to have your receipt checked after you just stood on line for 25 minutes to check the dang stuff out!

P.S. Yes, some people are taking this conversation personally. They may have read what they wanted to read as opposed to what was written. If you think someone wrote something offensive here, read it twice. Chances are you didn't read it correctly.

Knitting_Guy
04-10-2009, 11:01 PM
The law says you don't have to show your receipt. Period!
What law is this, exactly? Most states have laws that state that you must have a receipt for any goods you carry out of a business. They are well within their legal rights to request to see a receipt for the merchandise you carry out of their store. Perhaps your state has some such law that most states don't?

In general, the 4th amendment only applies to the government and not private businesses where you choose to shop, so it has no bearing in this case.

Yes, receipt checking can be a PITA, but if you choose to shop there you choose to accept their policies as well. If you didn't steal anything why the objection?

Thieves drive up prices for all of us.

NikitaShera
04-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Thanks for making my day!!! The pants comment made me laugh. Thank you.

patsuweb
04-11-2009, 11:43 AM
I have worked in the retail business (not one that checks your receipt) for almost 30 yrs and maybe I can explain why you were checked. The losses from shoplifting are staggering and increasing every year. At the drugstore where I work as an employee, they lost about $100,000 just in one quarter and this is not unusual. Yes, employees do steal, but I do believe that most of it is from the "customers" and you can't always tell from a person's appearance. I have seen well-heeled, senior citizens, moms with kids, just about any possible "type" try it. There are even rings of "shoplifting crews" that will hit a store and run out the door. (Have you ever seen new store merchandize at your local swap meet and wondered why it was so cheap?) There is enormous pressure on the entire staff to do as much to deter the shoplifting as possible. We are trained to greet each customer (and I bet you thought we were just being friendly), security tag the items (yes they don't always deativate at the checkstand) and to keep alert while we work on reduced hours due to reduced sales. Yes, every sale we lose to theft or damage, results in not only loss in profit to the store, but downsizing our staff and hours. So, we can not provide the service that retail once did, as now we barely have enough hours to check the customers out and stock the shelves. At the company that I work for they do not check your receipt, but I can understand why it is done. Frankly, I am somewhat annoyed to be stopped also, but am more outraged when I have seen the prices rise constantly on the retail end because of the loss from "shrink". Guess who pays for the shoplifting?...these retail companies just raise the markup to cover the loss on the high theft items for the rest of us. Or more and more merchandize is under lock and key....or simply discontinued because it doesn't make it through the checkstand and therefore is no longer a profitable item. I doubt that you were being singled out, but it was just more likely a random check or perhaps the greeter saw that the boss was watching or the loss prevention supervisor was observing or simply bored. My guess is that checking the receipt is just a way to deter the shoplifters, as most of the "shoplifters" will not slow down at the door and will keep going no matter who is there. I don't know if this makes you feel any better, but try not to take it personally next time and think of it as one of the ways that the store is trying to keep the retail prices down for all of us.

evona
04-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Well - I was mostly on the side of "whatever. Just show the receipt" until yesterday! Yesterday I went to Walmart. I bought 4 plants and my son bought a bookcase. For whatever reason I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out where my receipt went. They were packed full and there was quite a commotion - in all the raucous at the register I must have either dropped my receipt of left it. I got up to the door and I told the girl checking receipts that I was sorry, but I couldn't find my receipt for the plants but that my son had his receipt for the bookcase. I stood there for a moment waiting for a response and there was none so I walked out with the plants and my son proceeded to show her his receipt for the bookcase. Then suddenly she started yelling at me that she needed to see my receipt. I said "I'm sorry, but I just told you I couldn't find it and unfortunately I still can't". So she repeats - "I need to see your receipt" as if that will suddenly make one appear. In the mean time she is HOLDING MY SON'S CART AND NOT ALLOWING HIM TO LEAVE WHILE ALLOWING OTHER PEOPLE WITH PILES OF GROCERIES, INCLUDING ELECTRONICS THROUGH WITHOUT CHECKING ANY OTHER RECEIPTS - and mind you, my son HAS already shown HIS receipt. I told her which checker I went to but she refused to even let me go talk to him and she wouldn't go talk to him herself. After a few more minutes of "I need to see your receipt" and replies of "I can't find it and asking for it won't make it a appear" She called over the manager and he said "This receipt only shows a bookcase". I finally said "For heavens sake. I'm not stealing your plants. We're taking our purchases and leaving." and I put my plants in my son's cart (which was now just sitting there as she talked to the manager), turned it around and walked out the door. To my surprise I heard applause as I left and people started walking up to me expressing that they were happy I stood up for my rights. Needless to say I am NEVER going to that Walmart again! I understand that they are trying to stop shoplifting, but its not like I just walked out the door without a word!! I told her that I lost my receipt and I waited for her to respond. She didn't respond at all until after I walked out the door and my son showed her the receipt for the big item in his cart. Then they hold his cart - when he has already shown that the item in it was his possession. It was just ridiculous!!!

Jan in CA
04-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Well, I imagine "I lost my receipt" has been used frequently by shoplifters as it often does when people try to return things. It's happened in the LYS I frequent, too. It's sad that these rotten people have to ruin it for us all. :shrug:

evona
04-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Yeah - my big complaint isn't so much that she would ask for my receipt though, but that upon being told I lost the receipt and seeing that I was waiting for her response she just at there slack jawed. Instead she waited until I was through the door and held my son's purchase which was already proven to have been paid for and persisted in her request for my receipt. PLUS she wouldn't even let me go to the cashier to prove that I had paid for the purchases NOR would she go to him herself. AND she let tons of people through who DID have big items in their cart and did nothing. Including people who were setting off the alarm (all of whom waited for her response and she just waived them through). Obviously she was a bit overzealous at her job and in the process completely forgot about customer service and perhaps even let who knows how many actual shoplifters through the door because of her over interest in me. She was a very poor employee, and I'm sure she may be the exception. But they definitely lost a customer in me. I'd rather pay a little more at Target. The entire time I was waiting t that door I was thinking of this thread though . . .lol

Jan in CA
04-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I completely agree with the fact that the person checking was acting like an idiot. She should have let you go to the cashier. I think filing a complaint with a clear explanation is in order.

Lucy78green
04-13-2009, 03:11 PM
When I was a kid we used to have all our bags (including your purse) checked for bombs and incendiary devices on the way into the shop, and when I worked in a shop we had to check the pockets of the clothes for incendiary devices (which I was pissed off about as we were just shop assistants, not paid enough for that!). Receipt checking is rare here, but it doesn't bother me.

Jan in CA
04-13-2009, 03:41 PM
When I worked at JCPenney a long time ago we had to have clear purses, but they didn't check them otherwise.

Arielluria
04-13-2009, 07:55 PM
They are well within their legal rights to request to see a receipt for the merchandise you carry out of their store. Perhaps your state has some such law that most states don't?Actually the article was from the Washington Post, and it wasn't about just WA law. And as it states (as well as the other links in my original post) "retailers are allowed to check your purchases and receipt as long as the search is voluntary and they don't do it in a discriminatory way.", if they are allowing others to pass and checking only one person to me that constitutes discrimination. I wouldn't give a hoot if they searched me because I have never stolen a thing in my life.

Once you've paid for things it's all - including receipt - your property and you have no legal requirement to show it. NOW, if they have reason to believe you were stealing, they would have video evidence of it or something, THEN they can stop you and search you, etc.

I didn't mean to start a war about this, I don't have anything against retail workers at all! They are doing their jobs. But most importantly I wanted to point out what our rights are in this regard.

Angieknits
04-18-2009, 12:10 AM
Oh I got a good one for yuns. About 5 years ago my husband and I purchased a display model set of baby furniture because they were getting ready for the next season's furniture. None of it was boxed but had all of the paperwork, extra pieces with it. The shift manager himself put the bassinet in our cart, and he put the carseat set in a cart he pushed himself. He went out ahead of us into the parking lot with his cart of baby goodness, and we followed behind slightly as we had to finish paying. The woman at the door stopped us after seeing her store manager leave the premises with the other half of our merchandise. I told her that the mananger had the rest of what was on the receipt, and she rolled her eyes at me and said "Look I'm just here to do my job," as though I had accused her of something, when infact I was trying to make her job easier.

I think a lot of the time there are just some people who generally have bad attitudes about their jobs. I see it often in minimum wage jobs.

I've worked at Wal-Mart myself on two separate occasions. Once for 2 years and once as holiday help. In the CBL (computer based learning) Modules they give you, you are told that you are allowed to follow and monitor someone's shopping if they have "sneaky" behavior. (Not saying the OP had sneaky behavior lol) and they are allowed to tell the manager if they presume you are trying to steal, the manager is then supposed to approach the customer, if they feel something theify is in the works. You are in no way supposed to "detain" or physically touch the customer to prevent them from leaving the premises. It's not stealing until you leave the building and then get into the parking lot. And after you do get to your car, the cops can be called and charges can be pressed and persued. BTW those little black spheres above the cashier's stations... Cameras. and they are angled so that they can view the cashier's till(to prevent employee theft and shrinkage) and the area where you stand to check out.

KnitWit1987
04-18-2009, 12:40 AM
I keep thinking about this post everytime I go to Walmart now! This morning hubby and I went to get some soda and other stuff. We had a lot of stuff out of bags so I knew they would check our reciept. The guy asked, hubby handed it to him and said "I just spent $157.00 so if you can find anything that got rang up twice I would appreciate it." The guy winked and said "that's what I was looking for." :teehee:

knitasha
04-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Oh I got a good one for yuns. About 5 years ago my husband and I purchased a display model set of baby furniture because they were getting ready for the next season's furniture. None of it was boxed but had all of the paperwork, extra pieces with it. The shift manager himself put the bassinet in our cart, and he put the carseat set in a cart he pushed himself. He went out ahead of us into the parking lot with his cart of baby goodness, and we followed behind slightly as we had to finish paying. The woman at the door stopped us after seeing her store manager leave the premises with the other half of our merchandise. I told her that the mananger had the rest of what was on the receipt, and she rolled her eyes at me and said "Look I'm just here to do my job," as though I had accused her of something, when infact I was trying to make her job easier.

I think a lot of the time there are just some people who generally have bad attitudes about their jobs. I see it often in minimum wage jobs.

Much as I hate exit checks, I have to sympathize with that guard. Even if she did see the manager leave with a cart full of merchandise, she didn't know for sure that the stuff you were carrying was part of the same sale -- it wasn't wrapped or boxed. You could have just been walking off with the display. And if another manager had seen her letting people out without showing a receipt, how long do you think she'd have kept her job? As for minimum-wage workers showing bad attitude -- I'd have an attitude too if I had to stand on my feet all day dealing with resentful people for a couple of bucks an hour.

MrsWildchild
04-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Whoa...! After reading the original post, I had my light-hearted little response all planned, but as I read down through the other replies, I wondered if I should even get involved in such a hot debate!

Anyway, my initial feelings were that, yes, it is annoying to have to prove that you are being honest. Especially since it's not like they take every single item out and check it against the receipt. I mean, exactly what are they looking for, anyway? I feel that you should be able to simply leave a building when you are ready and not be forced to stop or to go back in, except in the case you are actually stealing.

However, most stores are private property and you are a guest. The owner, or their employee, are entitled to follow you or whatever, just as if they were poking around your home and you wanted to keep tabs on them.

How did it get to be, in this day in age, that having items in bags means they're paid for, and items not bagged are suspect? I try to be environmentally friendly (mildly), and I can just as easily carry one item as I can carry one item in a bag. Putting a giant package of toilet paper, or a bottle of liquid laundry detergent that has a handle, in a plastic bag doesn't make it any easier to load into your cart or the trunk of your car. I work as a pharmacist in a retail pharmacy, and you wouldn't believe how many times people have said, "You better give me a bag so the girls at the front know I paid for it!"

Arielluria
04-20-2009, 12:08 PM
:waving:That's totally OK, we disagree, but we always come back to being united by knitting. Tolerance means allowing others to disagree with you ;) I certainly appreciate your input.

It does seem pretty stupid to (especially with the post before yours that Walmart and I'm sure most other stores have cameras right over the checkout area) think one would steal a large item which would not be bagged (thus calling attention to themselves) rather than a small item that can be tucked away in a pocket. Most theft videos I've seen on TV are things like that. BUT I do assume the best in people and in that case I think it's more their making sure the checker didn't get distracted and forgot to scan the bag of dog food or box that they always leave for last since it's already in the basket.

bjc1050
04-20-2009, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't have any problem with WalMart checking my receipt. I usually have it ready and even stop my cart beside the guard to put my change in my purse and put away my glasses. Most of the guards seem to recognize me and I've never been checked at WalMart.
I DO have a problem with stores like Costco checking EVERY cart and receipt. That's why I refuse to pay to shop there. What an insult!

knitasha
04-20-2009, 04:06 PM
How did it get to be, in this day in age, that having items in bags means they're paid for, and items not bagged are suspect? I try to be environmentally friendly (mildly), and I can just as easily carry one item as I can carry one item in a bag. Putting a giant package of toilet paper, or a bottle of liquid laundry detergent that has a handle, in a plastic bag doesn't make it any easier to load into your cart or the trunk of your car. I work as a pharmacist in a retail pharmacy, and you wouldn't believe how many times people have said, "You better give me a bag so the girls at the front know I paid for it!"

You make a very interesting point. Lots of people are bringing (or knitting) their own carry-bags these days, or choosing to put a small paid-for item in their handbags. My canvas carryall is usually a mixed bag (so to speak) of stuff from the drugstore, the grocery and the hardware store by the end of the day. Not easy for a guard to know what came from where. Maybe the retail industry needs better ways to monitor environmentally-conscious customers than a guard at the door.

auntcrafty
04-22-2009, 08:52 PM
I've gotten checked the past three times I shopped at Wal-mart. It doesn't usually bother me to be checked. I almost always have two receipts because I am shopping for work & for myself & this time she wanted to see the one that listed the diapers & wipes -- which were not in bags of course.

Stores used to put stickers on items you had paid for and I wish WM would start doing this again. I can't blame them for being super cautious since thefts increase when the economy is in the pit. I find it weird to have to show your receipt when leaving Costco, but nothing's bagged, so they have to do a quick scan of the receipt & goods -- BJ's & Sam's are the same way and I realized this before becoming a member and took it all in stride (just like the long lines at the check out!).

Arielluria
04-23-2009, 10:35 AM
I went back to Wally-world yesterday and the same receipt checker was at the door, and I had SEVERAL items not in bags (2 bags of deer corn, 2 bags of bird seed, (6) 12-packs of drinks and 2 birdfeeders [all without packaging or stickers]. The birdfeeders were right on top of all the bagged items because they were too awkward to bag. The checker looked at the birdfeeders, I think he was admiring them - they were SO beautiful that everyone was looking at them in my basket and the checker lady also admired and said she wanted some for her. But I digress......:teehee:

I think that day that I got stopped for my receipt was a day when I couldn't keep a thought in my head to save my life. I take medication that I've recently found out affects memory and let me tell you my husband says I can wrap my own Christmas presents and hide my own Easter eggs my memory is so bad! :eyes:

BUT I remember a day recently at Walmart when my memory was even more attrocious than usual. I'd look at my list and immediately forget what I was supposed to get in that aisle, then I'd look again once or twice for each item. I KNEW I was having to reach into my bag WAY more than usual and I hated that but it wasn't intentional and I ALWAYS make sure my actions are out in the open because I know they look at people who reach into bags or pockets. Then, of course cell phones ring and that's another reach or two into the bag!

I also shop for 3 people for 2 weeks at a time (because I HATE to shop) so my basket is always really full and really heavy, so I need both hands to steer thus I must put my list down. Sometimes I can leave it in the basket, but I've become quite Monk-ish in my 40's and the germs on those baskets really freak me out.

I have never stolen a thing in my life, and I still feel it's wrong for a store to consider someone guilty until proven innocent, or worse, to intimidate them - BUT I must humbly admit in hindsight that it might have seemed to them that I was acting suspiciously - though obviously they knew I had not stolen or I would have been arrested at the door.

GinnyG
04-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Sorry, I don't agree that as a shopper in a store I am a "guest" on "private property". I am not a "guest" I am a customer whose patronage allows them to be in business. They may own the property and run the business but the sign on the door announcing they are "open for business" opens the premises up to the public. The sign doesn't say open by invitation only.

I've followed this post over the weeks with interest and am surprised at the number of people who think it's ok to be treated like a potential felon by minimum wages employees standing at the door. If I am in a store and I do something that arouses suspicion then the store manager has every right to confront me, but they darn well be right before soing so.

In the meantime, I choose not to shop at any store that requires me to go through what essentially amounts to frisking after leaving the checkout.

Doodknitwit
04-23-2009, 03:32 PM
It is an inference of theft.

I hate shopiing Sam's Club for that reason and they need to see my Sam's card on entry.. forget that if I get to the checkout and do not have my card that's my issue at that point.

It also maddens me to have to present an ID with MY CC.. If I give them cash they do not ask for ID, I could have stolen the cash... So staff says its for my protection BS... It is not a card company policy/or bank policy and it is not for my protection but the stores... At least they can state their policy truthfully.

:hair:

bjc1050
04-23-2009, 03:48 PM
The main reason that I object to Costco checking every receipt and every cart is that - if I have frozen items in the summer time and there is a line of customers to have their purchases checked, I get held up and my frozen items start thawing by the time I get to my car. Then I have another 10 miles to drive home. Even with insulated bags, my frozen items are still starting to thaw by the time I get them to my freezer. Anyway, that's why I won't pay to shop at Costco and try to buy my frozen products closer to home.
I just remembered that usually at most stores, but especially Walmart that they usually place a paid sticker on items that are too large for a bag. The security guard can see at a glance that the item is paid for.

JustAFloridaGirl
04-23-2009, 04:36 PM
It also maddens me to have to present an ID with MY CC.. If I give them cash they do not ask for ID, I could have stolen the cash... So staff says its for my protection BS... It is not a card company policy/or bank policy and it is not for my protection but the stores... At least they can state their policy truthfully.

It is much easier to steal someone's identity from a credit card than it is from cash.

If you think it's such an inconvenience then I suppose you wouldn't be mad if someone stole your credit card and then didn't get asked for ID when making a purchase on it.

Yes, you can cancel the card once the purchase is discovered, and most card companies forgive any debt that is obviously a theft. And yes, that sometimes means the store doesn't get their money. However, canceled card or not, once a thief has had access to the personal information linked to your credit card, they can do whatever they want with your credit. And once your identity has been stolen you'll get asked a lot more often to prove your identity than just the occasion when you swipe a credit card.

I'd rather just get asked for ID with my credit card. It's a LOT less hassle.

Arielluria
04-23-2009, 04:45 PM
I Agree. It's a security measure that protects you from theft. In fact, I heard from an attorney or a policeman (forget which) that it's good to write in the strip behind your card under your sig 'ask for i.d.'. This is something I want all cashiers to do for me, but most don't anymore.

Arielluria
04-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Sorry, I don't agree that as a shopper in a store I am a "guest" on "private property". I am not a "guest" I am a customer whose patronage allows them to be in business. They may own the property and run the business but the sign on the door announcing they are "open for business" opens the premises up to the public. The sign doesn't say open by invitation only.You got it! :hug:

Knitting_Guy
04-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Not a big deal, there are a lot of thieves in the world and most of them don't look like thieves. It really isn't worth getting upset about. I'm sure they would have checked Jesus' bags too.

ArtLady1981
04-25-2009, 01:39 PM
Not a big deal, there are a lot of thieves in the world and most of them don't look like thieves. It really isn't worth getting upset about. I'm sure they would have checked Jesus' bags too.

Jan in CA
04-25-2009, 05:24 PM
I get angry when they DON'T check ID!!! How do they know who I am? If it bothers you just hand your ID to them at the same time or have it ready.

KathleenG
04-26-2009, 10:20 PM
GinnyG, you are so right!! Thank you! I am a customer when I go into a store- not a guest!

This post has just reconfirmed my belief in NEVER, EVER shopping at Walmart.
Never have, never will.