PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh Spring in Ohio..warning!!!not for the squeamish

cheley
04-07-2009, 10:37 AM
How's this for a nice spring day?????
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3561/3420654977_07f8821b6b.jpg Ya think my daff's and tulips will make it?:grrr:

JessicaR
04-07-2009, 10:44 AM
We got 10 inches on Sunday, the highest in the state! I think they'll be ok. This can't be the latest snowfall on record. And it could be worse, we could live in North Dakota!!!

cftwo
04-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Spring in the midwest is often like that. Not that it's any fun, but after a while you become resigned to it. I've had snows like that, if they hit at the right time, make the daffodils not bloom. I bet it's a bit early to kill off the tulips, though. Try to remember that it's not too far from May and that last hard frost. :)

cheley
04-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Spring in the midwest is often like that. Not that it's any fun, but after a while you become resigned to it. I've had snows like that, if they hit at the right time, make the daffodils not bloom. I bet it's a bit early to kill off the tulips, though. Try to remember that it's not too far from May and that last hard frost. :) Yea I know... I have lived here all my life....One year we had a "frost" late and just about ruined the fruit trees for that year...it's still a drag:muah:

Simply_Renee
04-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Argh- it's snowing here now, kids were out of school today. And Sunday it was 78!

Hope the flowers are OK.

cheley
04-07-2009, 05:22 PM
You know I have to ask you this: I have a niece that was born here(Ohio) and her Mom lives in Nashville now...According to the both of them, when it snows there (Tenn) people get really freaked out!!!! I guess if you live in a state where you drive in 2 to 3ft of snow, 2 or 3 months of year, snow doesn't bother you!!! I still haaaaaate it!!!!!!

Simply_Renee
04-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Oh, Tennesseans are highly amusing in the snow. I was at Wal-mart last night & needed milk- they were completely out of skim and I was like "What?" Then I remembered the forecast.

They don't have enough equipment (salt trucks/plows) to deal with it, and it doesn't snow enough that people get used to driving in it. (like you have to slow down & control the car gently, but you have to get enough speed to get up hills.) My kids do the snow dance all winter long because our county is in the mountains & gets several inches when it just dusts the valley. They are out if there is any ice on the roads (since it is hilly, and people can't drive.)

And they had just readjusted the school calendar 2 weeks ago because they had used more snow days than allotted. :p

I am from upstate NY though so this amuses me. I love it here though. :heart:

cheley
04-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Oh, Tennesseans are highly amusing in the snow. I was at Wal-mart last night & needed milk- they were completely out of skim and I was like "What?" Then I remembered the forecast.

They don't have enough equipment (salt trucks/plows) to deal with it, and it doesn't snow enough that people get used to driving in it. (like you have to slow down & control the car gently, but you have to get enough speed to get up hills.) My kids do the snow dance all winter long because our county is in the mountains & gets several inches when it just dusts the valley. They are out if there is any ice on the roads (since it is hilly, and people can't drive.)

And they had just readjusted the school calendar 2 weeks ago because they had used more snow days than allotted. :p

I am from upstate NY though so this amuses me. I love it here though. :heart::muah: I did have the pleasure of visiting many many years ago..We were in The Smokies (I think the town was Pigeon Forge? ) and it was quite breathtaking...and I should of realized that "driving" along hills and such is very scary....especially in the snow/ice...:hug:

KnittingNana
04-07-2009, 11:57 PM
How's this for a nice spring day?????
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3561/3420654977_07f8821b6b.jpg Ya think my daff's and tulips will make it?:grrr:

Very pretty! I was in Columbus last week seeing my husband who's working there right now. It was cold during my visit, but I left Sunday & it didn't start snowing until yesterday. Didn't get any snow here at home this winter.

OffJumpsJack
04-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Very pretty! I was in Columbus last week seeing my husband who's working there right now. It was cold during my visit, but I left Sunday & it didn't start snowing until yesterday. Didn't get any snow here at home this winter.

Since your signature side-bar list your location as Texas...

Ah ha! Finally something that isn't "bigger and better in Texas," SNOW. :)

joyuna
04-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Whoa! Where in Ohio are you, Cheley? Up north, Cleveland or Toledo or somewhere? Here in Columbus, we got a few days of light flurrying this week but no accumulation... and most of our flowers seem to have survived :)

cacunn
04-10-2009, 01:32 PM
Self Edit

cheley
04-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Whoa! Where in Ohio are you, Cheley? Up north, Cleveland or Toledo or somewhere? Here in Columbus, we got a few days of light flurrying this week but no accumulation... and most of our flowers seem to have survived :) I am 25 mi west of Cleveland, actually near Oberlin..

cheley
04-14-2009, 04:33 PM
I don't understand the problem? If it were not for late snows and frosts you would be getting up to flowers blooming, grass turning green, trees breaking out in lovely green buds, bunny rabbits bouncing outside your window, and bird singing. Who would want --- wait a second I think I've been at work to long today.

Cancel - Cancel Sorry you didn't get the sarcasm..it has been "cold" here.. umm let's say since late October...I do have "lovely birds"in winter.. cardinals, juncos, bluejays, woodpeckers etc etc... bunny rabbits, deer, coyote etc etc....ever heard of "Cabin Fever"???:wink:

mwhite
04-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Any improvement???

cheley
04-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Any improvement??? It's been rainy since Sunday...loads of it Temp's in the 40's...I think it's gonna be in the 60's this weekend:woohoo:

cacunn
04-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Self edit

Simply_Renee
04-15-2009, 12:01 PM
I don't understand the problem? If it were not for late snows and frosts you would be getting up to flowers blooming, grass turning green, trees breaking out in lovely green buds, bunny rabbits bouncing outside your window, and bird singing. Who would want --- wait a second I think I've been at work to long today.

Cancel - Cancel

:chair:

This reminds me of the teachers closing the blinds and telling us not to look outside because we were all so distracted. (You could still smell the newly mown grass though, they can't take that away!)

cheley
04-15-2009, 01:38 PM
:chair:

This reminds me of the teachers closing the blinds and telling us not to look outside because we were all so distracted. (You could still smell the newly mown grass though, they can't take that away!) O.K..I'll stop my whining...I just can't wait till my yard (one of my beds) look like this again...probably mid Maycloud9
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3611/3445376022_104c025931.jpg and this:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3540/3445400206_12687d4dd7.jpg

mwhite
04-15-2009, 02:24 PM
O.K..I'll stop my whining...I just can't wait till my yard (one of my beds) look like this again...probably mid Maycloud9
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3611/3445376022_104c025931.jpg and this:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3540/3445400206_12687d4dd7.jpg

Beautimous!! Time and patience, m'love....time and patience! :hug:

KnittingNana
05-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Since your signature side-bar list your location as Texas.......Ah ha! Finally something that isn't "bigger and better in Texas," SNOW. :)

Oh yea, if we get 3-4 inches of snow in one winter it's like a blizzard. :mrgreen:

March 6, 2007 we got about 2" & it was beautiful! Then on the day before Thanksgiving 2007 we got about 4" & it was fun taking our granddaughter out to play in it. See, we get so little of it I can even remember the dates that we get snow! :rofl: