PDA

View Full Version : 98 YO Italian Quake Victim found Alive and Knitting

evona
04-07-2009, 04:26 PM
I just had to share this tidbit I found in a news story about the rescue efforts after the quake in Italy:

"Another of those rescued today was Maria D’Antuono, 98, who said that she had spent 30 hours knitting as she waited to be freed from her ruined home.

'I worked, I knitted,' said Mrs D'Antuono, from the village of Tempera, close to L'Aquila. The redoubtable nonagenarian told rescuers that she was in good health when she was found this morning, according to Sky TG24. "

That made me smile :) For anyone who wants to read the rest of the news story here's the link:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article6051410.ece?token=null&offset=12&page=2

Simply_Renee
04-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Holy cow, that would totally be one of us. Thanks for sharing.

Gosh I hope they find more people, awful news.

Jan in CA
04-07-2009, 04:51 PM
That is so neat!!

LadyFirelyght
04-07-2009, 10:26 PM
That made me smile :)

KnittingNana
04-07-2009, 11:51 PM
What an awesome story! Yep, it would definately be me in that situation.

A friend had sent me the story earlier & she said "yea, but can she knit on a bus with marching band kids?" because that's how I spent my time for 4 years when our son was in high school. I can even knit on a plane with turbulence! LOL!

Spikey
04-08-2009, 08:01 AM
That's funny, because on Ravelry yesterday, they said she had been crocheting, rather than knitting.

Has anyone seen the original article in Italian, just out of curiosity?

newamy
04-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Perhaps she has read Elizabeth Zimmerman who said "Knit on through all crisis with confidence".

And really if one is trapped and your knitting is at hand and you are not injured, what else are you going to do?? It would greatly relieve the anxiety and the wait. (and if it was crochet as the previous poster wonders it would have the same effect).

Debkcs
04-09-2009, 02:57 AM
'Atta Girl! :cool:

Mulderknitter
04-09-2009, 09:46 AM
I actually told my DH about that story last night, and then said that it was probably a sign that I needed a vacation when I thought it would be nice to have 2 days w/ no phone or tv or people to just sit and knit. Ah, an earthquake to sit and knit.:roflhard: