PDA

View Full Version : Converting Mini Vine pattern to circular

globaltraveler
04-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Hi guys:

I'm busy tearing my hair out trying to get everything ready for the next move (to Brussels, I think), but am also trying to get my next project ready for casting on, or at least swatching. I'm afraid I'm so distracted that I'll get this backwards, so I thought I'd run it by you all to make sure I haven't got it dead wrong...

Pattern is the Mini Vine pattern, the original is as follows:

Mini Vine Lace (Multiple of 7 + 3)
R1 (and all WS rows): Purl.
R2: K2* yo, K1, ssk, K2tog, K1, yo, k1*, rep from * to *, end K1.
R4: K1* yo, K1, ssk, K2tog, K1, yo, k1*, rep from * to *, end K2.

So since that's from the top down, and I want to work bottom up and in the round, it *should* be:

R1 (and all WS rows): knit
R2: K1* yo, K1, ssk, K2tog, K1, yo, k1*, rep from * to *, end K2.
R4: K2* yo, K1, ssk, K2tog, K1, yo, k1*, rep from * to *, end K1.

...right? ETA: I need that 3 stitch bit at the back, so I've left it on, even though this is in the round!

Thanks in advance! :)

Jan in CA
04-07-2009, 07:16 PM
I think when converting to round you drop the +3, but I'm not sure..

And how is it you get to move so much? Is it for your job? How cool!

globaltraveler
04-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Oh, good, it's just I need that 3 knit stitches in the back as a sort of "seam"...I might take it out, though. If everything else is right, that's good, because it means I'm not as brain dead as I feel. ;)

This basically started out as the world's longest and latest gap year. Then I got involved with a guy from the UK, and now it's sort of elongating...

suzeeq
04-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Ya know, if I was using this in a top down pattern, I wouldn't convert the pattern rows, I'd just knit as is (knitting the WS rows) It might not look quite the same, but it's still a lace pattern. And when you look down, you'd see the original lace pattern, the other people really wouldn't know if it's upside down or not....

globaltraveler
04-08-2009, 04:25 AM
hee hee hee -- I might have to swatch it that way just to try it and see what it looks like! :)

globaltraveler
04-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Sue! I think I'm going to use it that way. It's a variant of the pattern that is used in the Louisa tunic I just finished (7+3, whereas the vine pattern for Louisa was 9+3), but it was turned "upside down" (if there's such a thing as upside down or rightside up) on the project I found. I like it much better so it "sprays" downwards rather than fountaining upwards, and I feel it will be more flattering lines on this cardi. So thanks for that!

I am trying to find a pattern to replace a fagotted rib pattern in the pattern I'm using, and I think this is going to be it. (I'm changing up the Eyelet Chemise (http://www.interweavestore.com/store/p/891-Eyelet-Chemise.aspx).) The rib took up a bit too much yarn, and I'm going to be short as it is. I was going to do the skirt in the round, then do a placket on the bodice only, and cap sleeves, but decided that doing the skirt in the round really didn't save that much yarn.

I think the pattern doesn't save *that* much yardage, actually, but I do like it better with the gorgeous Hand Maiden Sea Silk I'm using. And someone on the HandMaidens board told me that the Sea Silk will probably stretch a LOT both horizontally and vertically after the first couple of wears (and of course it's classic lace yarn that stretches a great deal in blocking anyway), so I'm hoping I can get away with not having to buy another skein of this oh so expensive yarn -- if I get to the sleeves and I can do the longer sleeves, I will!

I think I'm going to try blocking the skirt on it's own before continuing upward to see how far I can get it to stretch, then size the bodice accordingly...

Comments on any of that, anyone?