PDA

View Full Version : A visit to the library checkout counter

bree
04-07-2009, 08:26 PM
I often borrow knitting books from the public library so that I can look through them before deciding to buy.

I like to use the self checkout because it's faster. When I wanted to use it today, it was occupied so I went to the checkout counter.

I handed the librarian a small stack of pattern books. She had a puzzled look on her face and said, "I'd think you wouldn't want to knit with all this nice weather we've been having". We've had a long winter here on the west coast and it's finally felt like Spring over the past few days. So I said, "well, just because you can't wear it doesn't mean you can't make it". She smiled, but still had a puzzled expression and said "but it's so nice and warm out there" and I said "yeah, I can knit outside now." I smiled, put the books in my bag, thanked her and left.

I guess she's not a knitter. Is knitting on a warm Spring day such a weird thing? lol

Jan in CA
04-07-2009, 09:22 PM
:lol: I check out books before buying when I can, too. It's saved me a bundle! And yes, she must not be a knitter. :teehee:

suzeeq
04-07-2009, 10:25 PM
If you have a small project, you can knit while walking outside. I've done it and if you can knit while watching movies or TV, why not in a park or along a river bank?

Simply_Renee
04-08-2009, 09:45 AM
I wonder how long she thinks it takes to knit cold weather gear. You generally don't wait until you're freezing to knit a sweater. How funny! You had great answers though!

There are so many small, non cold weather projects- baby hats & lace & socks!

You're in Canada- she should get it. :teehee:

MoniDew
04-15-2009, 11:28 AM
she must never have heard of lace, cotton, linen, silk, etc.

Perhaps you could hand her a book on summer-weight knitting?

And ask her what SHE does at the pool while watching her kids/grandkids swim for 9 1/2 hrs... or at soccer/baseball/karate/ballet 5 times a week? If she's reading a book, she's definately NOT keeping an eye on her kids. You can knit with your eyes UP!

Methinks, not only is she not a knitter, she's not a parent/grandparent, either!

sgtpam
04-15-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm excited! :woohoo:
I live in a small town and I just found out that our library is going to start one of those programs where they share with other libraries:cheering:

...I hope I'll be able to borrow some real knitting books...and newer than the 3 books they have now............

hartleystudio
04-16-2009, 01:29 PM
I wish there wasn't a knitting book thief in our city! Almost every time I go to check out a knitting book or magazine these days it's been stolen. Isn't that the dumbest thing? They are stamped all over the place and it would be so obvious you stole it AND you can just copy the pattern you want to try out and then return it!! Why go through the hassle and take the risk of stealing it???