PDA

View Full Version : It Is Just Me, Or......

saracidaltendencies
04-08-2009, 02:05 PM
does this hit anyone else as being extremely tacky?

Apparently Fox plans on making a reality show based on people getting laid off from their jobs...Honestly, I can't stand reality tv anyway (aside from Hell's Kitchen, if that's a "reality" show...lol) but to me, it seems this is just hitting a new low in reality tv...Even if the people are actors and not really losing jobs, I still find the whole idea of it just plain tacky...It just hits me as wrong to sensationalize one of the worst things that can happen to a person/family, especially in these crappy economic times...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090408/ap_on_en_tv/tv_fox_layoff_show

Jan in CA
04-08-2009, 02:37 PM
That's awful! :hair:

Only reality shows I watch are Survivor and Amazing Race. I can't stand Dancing the Stars, Big Brother or that kind of show.

Mike
04-08-2009, 03:22 PM
I think it could be a good thing. It might wake some people up that not everyone's life is as cushy as theirs turned out to be.

I wouldn't watch it, I like the gameshow "reality" types like Survivor and Hells Kitchen, not the follow along in someone's life type.

Crycket
04-08-2009, 09:41 PM
I have to agree with you...I hate reality tv....

The closest I have come to liking reality tv was wifeswap...and even then...I stoped watching when I suspected there were actors in it....

Blah....

ladyjessica
04-08-2009, 09:55 PM
I agree that it's incredibly tacky. It just seems like another way to kick people when they're down.

NikitaShera
04-08-2009, 10:04 PM
I think its wrong to have a show like this. I wouldn't support it. They are watching others lose their jobs out of entertainment???!!! Come on?! Its like someone using sick humor at the expense of someone.

suzeeq
04-08-2009, 10:52 PM
I don't care for reality tv either, but I betcha they get thousands of people applying for it. Remember your history - gladiator fights, and christians and all fed to the lions. It wasn't just the rich people who watched that, it was mostly the poor people of Rome.

JustAFloridaGirl
04-09-2009, 02:37 AM
I'm sure these people are going to get paid for their stint on TV...thus the actual pressure of trying to cope with losing a job because you need to pay bills will be pretty much non-existent, won't it? Doesn't that make a large portion of the show moot?

saracidaltendencies
04-09-2009, 09:00 AM
What you say is true, they most probably will receive some sort of compensation and possibly they're just actors anyway, so yes, the whole point is moot...lol...I just hope they re-think the idea of having a show like that...

Sunshine's Mom
04-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Well, I won't be watching this show because I don't like the premise. But, the one aspect of it that I do like is that it will be the termination of an employee based on what the other employees have to say about it. Really, how many times have you worked somewhere and a person gets let go and you think, "Jeez, Harry works so hard. It's unfair to let him go when Mary is such a slouch on the job." Maybe young people watching this show will get the idea that you have a responsibility to your fellow workers as well as your employer and they'll try a bit harder to be a team player themselves. In these trying economic times there are also lots of people who take their jobs for granted. We can't do that anymore.

busyknitmom
04-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Sounds horrible! But I am not much of a tv watcher anyway. I can watch people lose jobs, struggle financially and lose their home by just listening to my friends and neighbors ... that's real enough to me. :cry:

Mike
04-09-2009, 11:41 AM
I don't care for reality tv either, but I betcha they get thousands of people applying for it. Remember your history - gladiator fights, and christians and all fed to the lions. It wasn't just the rich people who watched that, it was mostly the poor people of Rome.

I'm sure these people are going to get paid for their stint on TV...thus the actual pressure of trying to cope with losing a job because you need to pay bills will be pretty much non-existent, won't it? Doesn't that make a large portion of the show moot?

I didn't think about that.
I most definitely like the premise of paying people who need the money better than their 'reality' show where they paid rich people to donate money (although that one did put money into the pockets of those who wouldn't have got it otherwise, even if it was comparatively small amounts at times).