PDA

View Full Version : Gardening... the "Flower" bug has bitten!

mwhite
04-09-2009, 06:55 PM
MMMMmmmmm I found a gorgeous, peach Hibiscus today and snatched it up. It's now planted in my front flower bed with tons of buds just waiting to bloom! :woohoo:

So, now rifling through all my seeds and found Columbine, Impatiens, more Hibiscus, Candy lilies, Cannas, Sunflowers, Stella D'Ora Daylilies.....OMG! :woot: Gotta go dig! Spring is finally here, the birds are singing....We have a Whipporwil and there's a wild Peacock living in the woods beside us. And tomorrow is Good Friday....time to plant!:cheering:

HollyP
04-09-2009, 07:32 PM
I hear you! I have some Cannas I got today that I need to find a place for - plant impulse buys are a little harder than yarn to deal with. I just love Cannas though! I was blown away by a Loripetalum that I was pretty sure was dying after being hit by a falling tree last fall to suddenly burst into full bloom last week. I just love spring!!

mwhite
04-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Don't you love "gardening" surprises? I had a Clematis that I dug up when we moved two years ago and I thought surely it was gone from the cold and moving abuse but it's out there climbing again!!! Now if I can just get the "diggerdog", Buckeroo, to leave my plantings alone! Grrrrr! We have a chat every morning..."Now, be a good boy and don't be diggerdog today, PLEASE!!! Every afternoon there's a new "nest" about the size of Buck, in the front flowerbed where he's kept cool....

cheley
04-09-2009, 07:57 PM
:twisted: I'm envious....I CAN NOT PLANT ANYTHING until May...I am in zone 5 and we still can get a good frost...Oh, but I did winter-over my dahlias in my neighbors basement (hopefully they didn't rot) and I can always "buy" impatients at the greenhouse (as established plants)..etc etc..so go ahead, plant all you want see if I care:waah: :waah:

mwhite
04-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Oh, Poor baby, I would just hate that, too! A friend in Wisconsin has the same problem. I would just have to demand a greenhouse or a sunroom or something! We are in zone 7 but lived in Charleston(zone 9) for about 3 years....OMG, you could garden constantly there. Mandevillas and Bouganvillia (not sure if that's spelled right) are perennials there.

cheley
04-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Oh, Poor baby, I would just hate that, too! A friend in Wisconsin has the same problem. I would just have to demand a greenhouse or a sunroom or something! We are in zone 7 but lived in Charleston(zone 9) for about 3 years....OMG, you could garden constantly there. Mandevillas and Bouganvillia (not sure if that's spelled right) are perennials there. What..the perennials are what?? OMG!! we have to buy those (already grown and staked in pots) enjoy for a few months, then (they are not hardy here) watch as they slowly perish outside (don't know if you can grow em indoors)Right now my daffs and tulips are poking up (that's about it) oh yea and the daylillies, bearded iris too....gotta wait till middle of May to see anything bloom...:pout: BTW..what's a "diggerdog"?

mwhite
04-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Our daffs and hyacinths are just about done blooming. The lilies and iris are blooming now. Peonies and Hostas are putting out foliage. I do have to winter my mandevillas in the garage and yes, with a sunroom or greenhouse, they'll grow year round. I grow alot of tropicals so they have to be wintered as well.

What is a diggerdog? Buck is about 1-1/2 years old, part labrador, weighs 90 lbs and loves to dig! He used to chew up everything, trailer connectors on the back of trucks, wet shoes left on the porch, plastic flowerpots and has been known to drag large pieces of firewood to his "chew" area. Now he just digs, runs the cats and somehow manages to distribute tiny little black hairs all over my bedroom floor. I love him to pieces but he's a Diggerdog.

cheley
04-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Our daffs and hyacinths are just about done blooming. The lilies and iris are blooming now. Peonies and Hostas are putting out foliage. I do have to winter my mandevillas in the garage and yes, with a sunroom or greenhouse, they'll grow year round. I grow alot of tropicals so they have to be wintered as well.

What is a diggerdog? Buck is about 1-1/2 years old, part labrador, weighs 90 lbs and loves to dig! He used to chew up everything, trailer connectors on the back of trucks, wet shoes left on the porch, plastic flowerpots and has been known to drag large pieces of firewood to his "chew" area. Now he just digs, runs the cats and somehow manages to distribute tiny little black hairs all over my bedroom floor. I love him to pieces but he's a Diggerdog.:roflhard: The "nest" part threw me!!!! Well, don't worry, you probably only have a "few" more years till he "grows up":thumbsup: BTW you plant Canna from seed???? OMG

mwhite
04-10-2009, 09:24 AM
My older sister lives in Cincinnati, where are you?

cheley
04-10-2009, 09:33 AM
My older sister lives in Cincinnati, where are you? I am 25 mi west of Cleveland....Here's a pic of one of my beds..take a look!!!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3352/3429103826_9f969b2e8c.jpg and please don't cry:woot:

mwhite
04-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Not bad, looks like it's coming along nicely. Mine are not at all as well developed...just getting them started.

cheley
04-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Not bad, looks like it's coming along nicely. Mine are not at all as well developed...just getting them started. Not bad for about 12 years old...the plant in front (next to the little white sign) is my Hydrangea..I won't see anything till June:hug: thanks

mwhite
04-10-2009, 09:54 AM
The foliage on ours are just coming out.... I looked yesterday and I have one lil Bearded Iris bloom. I've had them in pots for over 5 years with no blooms at all! They must love their new beds in the ground. Someone from gardeningclub.com sent them to me. You should post that photo on the thread now and later!

cheley
04-10-2009, 09:59 AM
The foliage on ours are just coming out.... I looked yesterday and I have one lil Bearded Iris bloom. I've had them in pots for over 5 years with no blooms at all! They must love their new beds in the ground. Someone from gardeningclub.com sent them to me. You should post that photo on the thread now and later! Post where? On KH or gardeningclub.com? The trick to Iris is to (since it's a tuber) do not plant deep in the ground..just let the roots go under, they like to have the top of the tuber showing thru..make sense? Never did um in containers!!!! I'll run out and take a 'close up " of my "larger bed" mostly Iris....

mwhite
04-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Post here, yeah, I have them about 1/2" below the dirt. Peonies are like that, too.

cheley
04-10-2009, 10:10 AM
O.K. will do....Here ya go this is as close as I can get..this is another bed...nice chatting..gotta get dressed before my neighbors think I am totally wacky (running in and out in my robe)!!!!!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3301/3428361157_ac6cdabee2.jpg Hey I do have blooms...My African Violets....
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3611/3429217252_db3e50f200.jpg

MoniDew
04-10-2009, 01:45 PM
woohoo! I love flowers, too!! :heart: :heart: :heart: I live on flowers, never mind food, water, air, etc. LOL!!!!!

mwhite
04-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Show yer pretties!!!

HollyP
04-10-2009, 06:08 PM
I never knew Peonies liked to be close to the surface! I planted Peony tubers last year and the bag they came in said 6 inches deep. They never did come up I guess I know why.
My neighbor is building a huge garage in his back yard. Last year he took out a lovely bed full of azaleas, peonies, tulips, daffodils and a saucer magnolia to make room for it. I was gone for the weekend and when I came home I asked him what he did with everything. You can imagine my heart break when he said he took it all to the dump. The azaleas and saucer magnolia were at least 15 years old and absolutely beautiful! I told him if he ever wants to get rid of another plant I would be happy to dig it up and give it a new home. I now have four azaleas I didn't have last spring that he took out to expand the driveway. Can't wait for them to fully bloom, they are budding out now. I think they are in the pink family but am not sure. He also gave me a wheel barrel full of iris last week so I am not holding out any hope of them blooming this year but next year:woot:

mwhite
04-10-2009, 06:32 PM
OMG! Some people have no interest in plants whatsoever! Our neighbor, near our old house was clearing his lot a couple of years ago and the lot was full of old heirloom Iris. I rushed over and dug up about all of them and sent them to friends from here to Washington state. We called it the McCormick Iris Rescue! LOL! Keep an eye of that fella, he may be supplying you with more for your yard!

And peonies sometimes have to be lifted if erosion is a factor.

Plantgoddess+
04-11-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm just now enjoying my crocus and it looks like in about a week my Hellebore will be in bloom. We still have mounds of snow in shady sheltered areas. This is our last burning weekend and I finally finished pruning all my shrubs and cleaning up the winter damage. Next I have to start rebuilding rock retaining walls, between the springs and gophers my rock walls only last a decade or so and then they start to tumble. Here's a small portion of my yard.

cheley
04-12-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm just now enjoying my crocus and it looks like in about a week my Hellebore will be in bloom. We still have mounds of snow in shady sheltered areas. This is our last burning weekend and I finally finished pruning all my shrubs and cleaning up the winter damage. Next I have to start rebuilding rock retaining walls, between the springs and gophers my rock walls only last a decade or so and then they start to tumble. Here's a small portion of my yard. Wow, yummy!!!! You have Hosta already???? Ohhhh how I hate being in Zone 5:tap:

MoniDew
04-12-2009, 10:13 AM
NOW I see why they call you the plant goddess! Well deserved moniker!

I missed crocus this year! I have never seen a year without crocus, but this season came and went without spying a single one. Wonder what happened! (daff's came up just fine, tulips all over the place, but no crokes.... hmm....)

mwhite
04-14-2009, 06:25 PM
The Easter Bunnies brought and planted two, beautiful, white Dogwoods in my yard!!!
They got lots of hugs and kisses!!!

HollyP
04-14-2009, 07:28 PM
What sweet gift! I really love dogwoods! Right now I am looking for a Red dogwood for my back yard. I can find whites and pinks but I really want a red one. My neighbor down the street has a huge beautiful red dogwood that I have been coveting for years. I finally decided to break down and get one, but I can't find one locally. I would really hate to have to pay shipping on a tree.

mwhite
04-14-2009, 07:40 PM
The red ones are gorgeous...I had never seen one and had to "google" it. Mine came from the woods nearby. I know you're not supposed to transplant them this time of year but it's rained solid for the last 2 weeks, the ground was super soggy and the tap roots were intact so now they are here!!! One is about 12' tall, the other is about 9'. Both have great shape and can be seen from the bedroom window. Yep, my son and husband did good.

Could you root the branches in wet sand, maybe?

Arielluria
04-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Hey, I know we met on DG (Dave's Garden) way before KH, did I ever send you any of my heirloom Amaryllis seeds? I'll be glad to, I got plenty of the red (the coral never has been a good seed producer). Here's a pic - flowers are 6-7" across:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_se6lXbyWrW8/SRSgkq_KJSI/AAAAAAAAA5U/CC7gHare0uw/Amy%20in%20shadow.jpg

Anyone interested just PM me your address and I'll send you 50 or so seeds and if you send your email address I'll send the PDF with the plant's history and germinating instructions. The original was my husband's grandmothers back in the 60's or perhaps even as far back as the 40's.

More Amaryllis pics in my Picasa web album: http://picasaweb.google.com/arielluria/LuSGarden#

Another pic:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_se6lXbyWrW8/SRSewZjHDjI/AAAAAAAAA3U/GLDbpLFa5y4/amy2.jpg

mwhite
04-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Actually we met on Gardeningclub.com forums and I have some of the coral ones from you. They are in my seed collection...that's been kept in a cool, dry place for a couple of years. I've been germinating some of the moonflowers and petunias. I'll pull out the Amaryllis seeds and see if they are still viable.

You are the one that told me about KH in the first place! Thank you very much!!!

Arielluria
04-15-2009, 07:24 PM
That's my memory for you! I'm glad you got some corals, it's been a few years since I've been able to harvest ANY seeds from them.
:muah:

mwhite
04-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Just looked... I also have Orange Sovereign and Red from you! LOL! They are still in the envelope where you sent them!

VictoiseC
04-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Nice info! I'm so glad I read that tip about peony planting.
I have 3 so far and am going to plant more but I didn't know that about the depth. I was wondering.... my three. about 6 years old now, medium sized but I planted them around a lilac bush which got bigger and bigger and now the peonies are getting croweded. Is it ok to transplant the peonies? I probably should wait til fall I guess? I live in the Catskills which is cold until June (except during these heat waves, it was 80 over the weekend.) Hope my back is in better shape than last summer because I want a BIG GARDEN this year!

MoniDew
04-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Show yer pretties!!!
Pretty pic of my irises, just before they bloom
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/MoniDew/100_2771.jpg
Pretty dogwood pic - not in my yard, but at a local park
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/MoniDew/100_2817.jpg
more to come!

mwhite
04-28-2009, 02:36 PM
:yay: :yay: :yay: Very Pretty~~ Thanks for sharing!

One of my peonies has two bloom heads on it!!! Hasn't ever bloomed in its pot...can't wait!

Jan in CA
04-28-2009, 02:51 PM
I am zone 10! :cool: The daffodils, narcissus and freesias are done for this year, but the were pretty. DH is the gardener, but here's some pictures of what is blooming at this moment. Not pictured are the amaryllis about to open and roses that will be going crazy soon.

In order of appearance - azalea, cymbidium orchid, hydrangea, and a slightly blurry spring cactus.

Arielluria
04-28-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm so jealous of anyone with Peonies. I've wanted to plant some but down here in zone 8B there don't seem to be any which will survive the scorching hot weather! On the other hand.........I planted a geranium last fall which wasn't looking well in the house and figured it would die, instead it flourished, flowered AND is still alive. It flowered even during and after winter frosts, so now I have lots of them planted! Next winter my flowerbeds will be colorful! The lizards and frogs love it too, they were partying last night after all the rain we got here in Houston

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_se6lXbyWrW8/SeurYLEL9AI/AAAAAAAABtc/W0UqnxnIsCc/IMG_7001.JPG

mwhite
04-28-2009, 05:13 PM
I am zone 10! :cool: The daffodils, narcissus and freesias are done for this year, but the were pretty. DH is the gardener, but here's some pictures of what is blooming at this moment. Not pictured are the amaryllis about to open and roses that will be going crazy soon.

In order of appearance - azalea, cymbidium orchid, hydrangea, and a slightly blurry spring cactus.

OH DROOL!!! You mean the orchid is planted in the ground??? I've noticed that the Azaleas are particularly nice this year.

Great photos and what loverly blooms...DH must have more than one green thumb!;)

mwhite
04-28-2009, 05:17 PM
I'm so jealous of anyone with Peonies. I've wanted to plant some but down here in zone 8B there don't seem to be any which will survive the scorching hot weather! On the other hand.........I planted a geranium last fall which wasn't looking well in the house and figured it would die, instead it flourished, flowered AND is still alive.

These have been trapped in pots for years, no blooms, now they are happy and I can't do much with Geraniums, I think it's because I may water them too much. I can't see your photos!

Arielluria
04-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Darn! I see them. Hope you can now. They're on my Picasa album (http://picasaweb.google.com/arielluria)

mwhite
04-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Can't see them here but did go to Picasa....All Gorgeous and I am a Clematis lover as well!! Your Amaryllis are just fabulous!!!

Jan in CA
04-29-2009, 01:36 AM
I resized your photo, Lu. Please click the link in my sig to check photo sizes. :thumbsup:

The orchid is in a pot, but it probably could be in the ground. :lol:

cheley
04-29-2009, 07:59 AM
Wow, just had to "run out" and take pics of my "beds"...Here in Z5, things are just happening...Peonies, Sedum, Iris, Lillies,"Money Plants" Paper Whites
(which were covered in snow a few weeks back) Wild Rose bush...etc
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3352/3429103826_9f969b2e8c.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3561/3420654977_07f8821b6b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3318/3485219463_bd4304ccf4.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3377/3486033724_9402aed71c.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3551/3485218157_f1464a2ce8.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3593/3486032368_4fcdc9580b.jpg
around the "edge" are my "wild strawberry" vines, which usually produce fruit, but the squirrel and chipmunks eat em!!!..so I never get to see "real" berries...also the Peonies are very old..I started with one small plant (stolen/borrowed) from my brother's house (around 20 years ago) now I have 5 gorgeous adults!!!

MoniDew
04-29-2009, 10:47 AM
gorgeous, cheley!

cheley
04-29-2009, 10:55 AM
cloud9 Hey all you "flower people" I am gonna walk across the street and take a pic of a (over 100 year old) Lilac Bush...It is beyond gorg...and the flowers (are bloomed) are white and soooo fragrant...the house was built in the late 1800's..Look at this:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3392/3485595849_a3dc9695ed.jpg

mwhite
04-29-2009, 11:07 AM
I hope that my beds look this good one day! Thanks, Cheley!

tokmom
04-30-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm just now enjoying my crocus and it looks like in about a week my Hellebore will be in bloom. We still have mounds of snow in shady sheltered areas. This is our last burning weekend and I finally finished pruning all my shrubs and cleaning up the winter damage. Next I have to start rebuilding rock retaining walls, between the springs and gophers my rock walls only last a decade or so and then they start to tumble. Here's a small portion of my yard.

How do you keep slugs off your Hosta's? They treat mine like green salad.:biting:

tokmom
04-30-2009, 12:36 PM
cloud9 Hey all you "flower people" I am gonna walk across the street and take a pic of a (over 100 year old) Lilac Bush...It is beyond gorg...and the flowers (are bloomed) are white and soooo fragrant...the house was built in the late 1800's..Look at this:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3392/3485595849_a3dc9695ed.jpg

That is HUGE!

Arielluria
04-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Oh WOW!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Arielluria
04-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Has anyone had good luck with lavender? I'm in zone 8B (S. TX), and no matter what I do, I can't get them to survive, I've tried more water, less water, full sun of course!!!!!!!!!! :nails:

Plantgoddess+
04-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Has anyone had good luck with lavender? I'm in zone 8B (S. TX), and no matter what I do, I can't get them to survive, I've tried more water, less water, full sun of course!!!!!!!!!! :nails:
I grow Hidcote lavender in zone 5 and I grow it dry. I even have a really old light pink variety that I grow in an area that gets no supplemental watering. Here they need very good drainage or they rot away in the winter.

Plantgoddess+
04-30-2009, 07:16 PM
How do you keep slugs off your Hosta's? They treat mine like green salad.:biting:
I live in a drier area and I did spend a few years carrying clippers with me everytime I worked in the yard and cut in half any slug I found. I have more problem with the deer eating the leaves and some years I have just bare stems sticking up. I found that mixing eggs and water and spraying the plants every couple of weeks deterrs most deer damage.
Diatomaceous earth is supposed to be effective as a slug repellent.

mwhite
04-30-2009, 07:33 PM

I read today that you can place a shallow container of beer(any brand...they are not particular) around or near your infested area and the slugs will dive in and drown. I don't relish open containers "smelling" up my garden so was told that you empty them every day or so and replace...eventually the slugs won't replenish. Ha! My luck, they'll have taken swimming lessons! Actually, KNOCK ON WOOD, my hostas don't have any slugs on them but I know it's only a matter of time...I find them sleeping under pots in the cool dirt.

Arielluria
05-01-2009, 10:42 AM
I use a concoction like that for deer too, mine came from Jerry Baker's book. Add to that some Tabasco sauce and chilli powder and you got the recipe. It's supposed to be the same stuff as Deer Off that we pay $16 for 1 qt. at hardware store.

mwhite
05-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Well, I'm curious to see everyone's "Mother's Day" plants and flowers!!!

I spent my MD money at my favorite local greenhouse....bought a pink Gerbera and a yellow one, too! A very large basket of red red red Million bell petunias cascaded down and tapped me on the shoulder. Also got some bedding plants; salmon impatiens, more petunias in purple and yellow, an "Aloha" million bells and some red Verbena. I had to have a couple of the double petunias as well....what else....oh yeah, got a couple of gorgeous caladiums called "Flame", those are pretty! I did spend it all in one place! LOL~ Happy Mother's Day Everyone! :muah: :hug:

Plantgoddess+
05-04-2009, 10:32 PM
The recipe I have for deer is from Boise Cascade. They developed it to protect the seedling evergreens they grow for reforestation. The deer don't like the taste of the sulfer in the egg yolks and after a few test bites will stay away for a while. The total recipe is 1 dozen eggs (well beaten) to 5 gallons of water. I generally only need 1 gallon so I do 3 eggs to a gallon of water. I've used this for a couple of years in the yard and vegetable garden at home and at a neighbors a couple of miles down the road. I also take care of her perennial beds for her husband as a memorial to her.
The liquid deer repellent sold in local stores is a mixture of rotten egg and garlic juice. It stinks to high heaven and is no more effective than the Boise Cascade mix. Rural gardeners around me have tried everything we can think of to repel deer and this is the most effective if you don't go more than 2 weeks between spraying for at least a couple of months.

Plantgoddess+
05-04-2009, 10:37 PM
I read today that you can place a shallow container of beer(any brand...they are not particular) around or near your infested area and the slugs will dive in and drown. I don't relish open containers "smelling" up my garden so was told that you empty them every day or so and replace...eventually the slugs won't replenish. Ha! My luck, they'll have taken swimming lessons! Actually, KNOCK ON WOOD, my hostas don't have any slugs on them but I know it's only a matter of time...I find them sleeping under pots in the cool dirt.
I heard or read that Michelob seems to be the best brand for attracting slugs. I never had a lot of luck with it and am just diligent about checking my beds while weeding and deadheading and merciless about killing them. I tried throwing them to the fish and turtles in my pond, but they wouldn't eat them. The fish just spit them back out. The diatomaceous earth I believe is volcanic and has very sharp edges and pierces the slug and causes it to "bleed" out.

mwhite
05-06-2009, 06:54 PM
I did a "salt down" on the slugs yesterday, killed them within seconds but the rain probably washed out all the extra I put down. I will try the Michelob for sure, just hate to have little dishes laying around the garden but if need be, I'll do it! Thanks, Plantgoddess...

NEXT PROBLEM:
Buck, the diggerdog, has dug up my hen & chicks three days in a row!!! :nails: :tap: :wall: :hair: :grrr: :mad:

I am so ticked off at him and he got several very meaningful wacks across the hind quarters with a mini broom this afternoon. He has his own swimming pool for goodness sake!!! I know he wants to keep cool and thank heavens the hen & chicks are succulent and can tolerate laying around for hours. BUT! I just don't know how to get him to quit digging in this flower bed!!!! Any suggestions???
My son said we could record me saying, "BUCK! NO DIGGING!!! GET OUT OF THAT FLOWER BED. BAD BAD DOG!!!", put it on an hourly timer with a loudspeaker and the volume turned all the way up! 'Cept Buck would probably be digging between the hours...:waah:

cheley
05-07-2009, 07:20 AM
Hey, I know we met on DG (Dave's Garden) way before KH, did I ever send you any of my heirloom Amaryllis seeds? I'll be glad to, I got plenty of the red (the coral never has been a good seed producer). Here's a pic - flowers are 6-7" across:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_se6lXbyWrW8/SRSgkq_KJSI/AAAAAAAAA5U/CC7gHare0uw/Amy%20in%20shadow.jpg

Anyone interested just PM me your address and I'll send you 50 or so seeds and if you send your email address I'll send the PDF with the plant's history and germinating instructions. The original was my husband's grandmothers back in the 60's or perhaps even as far back as the 40's.

More Amaryllis pics in my Picasa web album: http://picasaweb.google.com/arielluria/LuSGarden#

Another pic:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_se6lXbyWrW8/SRSewZjHDjI/AAAAAAAAA3U/GLDbpLFa5y4/amy2.jpg OMG...what a gorgeous landscape...Oh the deerscloud9 birds, bugs :heart: How refreshing on this chilly, foggy morning...beautiful work:thumbsup:

Jan in CA
05-07-2009, 02:13 PM

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_se6lXbyWrW8/SRSewZjHDjI/AAAAAAAAA3U/GLDbpLFa5y4/amy2.jpg

You have a beautiful yard, Lu! :inlove: Our amaryllis are in full bloom right now, too. :thumbsup:

BTW...we bought some of the Decollate snails (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decollate_snail) many years ago and they worked really well. We didn't have to put out any poison for a long time. They are long gone now..maybe we should get some more.. :think:

cheley
05-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Wow, I am sooo excited...I have finally found out what my extra ordinary ground cover is...It's been growing for a few years now and I thought it was some kind of "wild violet"..well, turns out to be a "Wild Ginger" plant....it's leaves are very large (like a violet) but underneath are these little 3 lobed brownish red flowers...very awesome check it out:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3126/3511727584_06cf8468fe.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3313/3511727966_e0abe18f6a.jpg

anyone seen anything like that before???? I almost emailed Martha to ask if she knew...yes, the flowers smell vaguely like ginger, my book says it's the rhizome that has the fragrance......It's called "Asarum"...

mwhite
05-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Wow, I am sooo excited...I have finally found out what my extra ordinary ground cover is...It's been growing for a few years now and I thought it was some kind of "wild violet"..well, turns out to be a "Wild Ginger" plant....it's leaves are very large (like a violet) but underneath are these little 3 lobed brownish red flowers...very awesome check it out:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3126/3511727584_06cf8468fe.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3313/3511727966_e0abe18f6a.jpg

anyone seen anything like that before???? I almost emailed Martha to ask if she knew...yes, the flowers smell vaguely like ginger, my book says it's the rhizome that has the fragrance......It's called "Asarum"...

They are very nice ground cover and yep, we have them growing wild and a friend has offered to send me some roots. I just didn't know that this is what they were! Thanks for sharing the photos and the info!!!

cheley
05-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Aww, you are so welcome...again it has taken "years" for me to figure it out!!!!! I do not know where it came from, but it is sooo enjoyable (as everything else in spring)!!!!

cheley
05-13-2009, 08:16 AM
This is hilarious...I tried to take some updated pics of my beds, I didn't realize my "niece" had the camera on "video"...that's why she is telling me to hit the button......hope it works..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34572491@N07/3528333764/ see sometimes you just have to "listen" to em!!!!

mwhite
05-13-2009, 07:46 PM
She's cute, Cheley!

Here are a couple of blooms from a bed we've started...Can you smell that Peony??? MMMMMMmmmmmm

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3401/3529029271_ae5eef966f.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3180/3529030367_50b32d29ea.jpg

cheley
05-13-2009, 08:01 PM
She's cute, Cheley!

Here are a couple of blooms from a bed we've started...Can you smell that Peony??? MMMMMMmmmmmm

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3401/3529029271_ae5eef966f.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3180/3529030367_50b32d29ea.jpgyummy!!!! Mine our "white"...not bloomed yet, just budding....the original plant is over 25 years, I took a cutting (around 15 years ago) and now I have 5 gorgeous plants....but I love pink ones mostcloud9 all of the "purple plants" are "money plants" very old too!!!!

mwhite
06-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Daylily Time!!! :woohoo: It was soooo hard to just do the medium size!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3327/3614601529_25a9dc755d.jpg

Arielluria
06-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Gorgeous! I'd love to have some to enjoy indoors. Is it just in water?????????

mwhite
06-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Gorgeous! I'd love to have some to enjoy indoors. Is it just in water?????????

Yes! She just had one bloom and blew over during a thunderstorm on Monday, just broke near the roots, so I cut it and thought that only the one would bloom but all five of the buds have bloomed or are opening up!

mwhite
06-30-2009, 11:00 AM
This link is from our town's recent Flower Festival, thought you might enjoy....these are the topiaries:

Topiaries (http://www.flickr.com/photos/parkseed/sets/72157620553613408/)

Arielluria
06-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Those topiaries were AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! Makes me want one!!!!!!!!!!! My favorite was the labrador (dog) topiary.
:cheering:

Jesslynn
07-05-2009, 01:36 PM
We had family down last night for a cookout. I picked this bouquet of dill, Queen Anne's lace, phlox, yarrow, sunflowers and lambs-ear on Friday. My mom brought the carnations to make it festive.

mwhite
07-05-2009, 01:41 PM
We had family down last night for a cookout. I picked this bouquet of dill, Queen Anne's lace, phlox, yarrow, sunflowers and lambs-ear on Friday. My mom brought the carnations to make it festive.

Gorgeous and all summery! :mrgreen:

Debkcs
07-05-2009, 06:01 PM
All your pictures are lovely!

We've had tomatoes for a few weeks now, and it's getting to the place where it's hard to keep up with them :woot:

A greasy gloppy slug ate my pepper plant, so I returned the favor and dumped salt on him, then I ran like it was going to chase me. Everything else is doing fine, and we have more herbs at my son's than we'll be able to use for our potions and lotions. We give away our Lavender Salve, makes a wonderful cure for dry patchy skin.

Yes, "the Flower bug has bitten" and so has the veggie bug, love summer!

mwhite
07-06-2009, 08:39 AM
All your pictures are lovely!

We've had tomatoes for a few weeks now, and it's getting to the place where it's hard to keep up with them :woot:

A greasy gloppy slug ate my pepper plant, so I returned the favor and dumped salt on him, then I ran like it was going to chase me. Everything else is doing fine, and we have more herbs at my son's than we'll be able to use for our potions and lotions. We give away our Lavender Salve, makes a wonderful cure for dry patchy skin.

Yes, "the Flower bug has bitten" and so has the veggie bug, love summer!

Still waiting on the tomatoes to mature but the plants are loaded with tiny ones and tons of blooms. Can't wait....nothing like Tomato sandwiches!!!

LOL! I hate slugs and salt them regularly but also place a shallow container of their favorite beer (Michelob) around my plants. It works but the local convenience store lady thinks I'm a lush...:teehee:

Lavender salve sounds great!

mwhite
07-08-2009, 10:31 PM
OUCH!!! Was putting sunflower seeds out for the birds this evening and ran into a bee or hornet or something of the stinging variety! He/she got me right on the cheek!!! :waah:

The hummingbirds are totally WILD!!! I've never seen so many at one time before! But I dearly love the lil buggers! :teehee:

Arielluria
07-09-2009, 02:34 PM
:hug:Hope your sting gets better real soon. I have had almost NOOOOOOO hummingbirds, especially since the sweltering heatwave and drought started here in S. TX. So you better feed MY hummingbirds! ;)
:flirt:

mwhite
07-09-2009, 02:41 PM
:hug:Hope your sting gets better real soon. I have had almost NOOOOOOO hummingbirds, especially since the sweltering heatwave and drought started here in S. TX. So you better feed MY hummingbirds! ;)
:flirt:

Funny that the sting only hurt for about 2 hours! It's okay now...

I think your hummers must be here at my house anyway! LOL~:teehee: Looked out this morning and there had to have been around 25 of them...flitting and flying around, course I have 6 feeders in the same area! We have all of our feeders on an old gym/monkeybar set under the oak tree and it's a perfect feeding station!

themonkeygirl
07-09-2009, 06:31 PM
We placed a hummingbird feeder right outside one of the living room windows in a flower bed where I have planted great plants for them and this truly has to be one of my all-time favorite sites in the world. Those fabulous little creatures are there from the time the sun comes up until the sun goes down. I can just watch them for hours...they are so amazing!

mwhite
07-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Wouldn't you just love to have that much energy? :teehee:

mwhite
07-29-2009, 07:14 PM
The moonflowers are all blooming...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3535/3769810053_cdbfc3c8eb.jpg

Found this little beauty on my morning walk. Can anyone tell me what it's called???

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2435/3770607132_6a4ffec378.jpg

sabrinasmom
07-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Are there more than 1 hummingbird at the feeder at the same time? Mine are greedy, if another one shows up to feed he gets ran off.

mwhite
07-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Are there more than 1 hummingbird at the feeder at the same time? Mine are greedy, if another one shows up to feed he gets ran off.

:teehee: Mercy YES! I've counted as many as 25 in one area but I have three feeders all on an old set of monkeybars along with feeders for the other birds. Seems that they are just always whizzing around that monkeybar frame!

cheley
07-30-2009, 08:53 AM
OMG I Love MoonFlowers....but I have the worst luck with them...will not grow for me!!!!!!! Please send me some seeds:pout: :hug:

mwhite
07-30-2009, 09:53 AM
OMG I Love MoonFlowers....but I have the worst luck with them...will not grow for me!!!!!!! Please send me some seeds:pout: :hug:

I certainly will!!! The photo above is ones that grow on a bush and I have some of both pink and white that are vines. Plan to PM your mailing addy sometime in the next month when I collect fresh seeds. I'll just send you a collection of all three. Below is a photo of the pink vining ones....mixed with some caladiums and clematis. The white vining ones haven't bloomed yet.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3532/3771446889_62bde158f5.jpg

cheley
07-30-2009, 02:38 PM
I certainly will!!! The photo above is ones that grow on a bush and I have some of both pink and white that are vines. Plan to PM your mailing addy sometime in the next month when I collect fresh seeds. I'll just send you a collection of all three. Below is a photo of the pink vining ones....mixed with some caladiums and clematis. The white vining ones haven't bloomed yet.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3532/3771446889_62bde158f5.jpg mmmmm, totally scruptious!!!!!! Thanks sooo much...but wait, should I wait till spring too plant outdoors??? Germinate inside first? Or should I throw them in the ground in fall:hug:

mwhite
07-30-2009, 06:02 PM
mmmmm, totally scruptious!!!!!! Thanks sooo much...but wait, should I wait till spring too plant outdoors??? Germinate inside first? Or should I throw them in the ground in fall:hug:

It really depends on your zone. The bush variety is perennial here in zone 7. The vining ones have to be replanted every year from seed here.

The trick to germinating the vine seeds (they are large) is to pour boiling water over them and let them sit overnight, then place them inbetween wet paper towels inside a closable baggie, in a dark area (I place mine in the cabinet under my kitchen sink), check them every few days to see if they've sprouted and plant about 1" deep when they sprout. Otherwise, planting them directly into the ground is a "maybe they will/ maybe they won't" germination method.

To germinate the bush type, follow the vine type method without the boiling water and overnight soak. This method works for just about any seed. I've even grown Amaryllis bulbs with this method.

I would definitely wait until about a month before the last frost to start the germination, then once the frost is gone you can plant them into the ground.

The seeds that I send will be fine until Spring and you can just keep them in the packets in a dry location until then. Heck, these plants were grown from 3 yr old seeds so they don't go bad easily.

cheley
07-31-2009, 07:35 AM
It really depends on your zone. The bush variety is perennial here in zone 7. The vining ones have to be replanted every year from seed here.

The trick to germinating the vine seeds (they are large) is to pour boiling water over them and let them sit overnight, then place them inbetween wet paper towels inside a closable baggie, in a dark area (I place mine in the cabinet under my kitchen sink), check them every few days to see if they've sprouted and plant about 1" deep when they sprout. Otherwise, planting them directly into the ground is a "maybe they will/ maybe they won't" germination method.

To germinate the bush type, follow the vine type method without the boiling water and overnight soak. This method works for just about any seed. I've even grown Amaryllis bulbs with this method.

I would definitely wait until about a month before the last frost to start the germination, then once the frost is gone you can plant them into the ground.

The seeds that I send will be fine until Spring and you can just keep them in the packets in a dry location until then. Heck, these plants were grown from 3 yr old seeds so they don't go bad easily. Thanks for the info:muah: BTW I am in zone 5 :verysad: I will send you my address.....:hug:

mwhite
08-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the info:muah: BTW I am in zone 5 :verysad: I will send you my address.....:hug:

Got it and will mail these as soon as the pods are ripe! :muah:

mwhite
10-09-2009, 10:04 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3460/3995673030_c27eb360da.jpg

Thought I'd share this photo!

Cheley, I am going to start pulling off Moonflower Vine seed pods this next week....pm me your mailing info! OOPS, I just remembered that you already have!!! :blush: :thumbsup: (Old age...that's my excuse)