PDA

View Full Version : Yay continental

purplravioli
04-09-2009, 07:08 PM
YAY!

I'm starting to get the hang of continental knitting!
I practiced a bit last night, and some more today, and I think I'm finally getting used to it, though I still have problems with keeping the tension regulated. Once around my pinky seems to be too loose, but twice around and I can hardly get the yarn to move. haha

Any continental knitters have any personal tips for how you keep your yarn at the right tension?

knitasha
04-09-2009, 08:56 PM
YAY!

Any continental knitters have any personal tips for how you keep your yarn at the right tension?

Over my left forefinger, under the middle finger, over the ring finger, under the pinky. No wraps around anything. If I want to tighten the tension I just press the pinky down on the yarn. If I want to loosen it, I just lift it a bit.

If the yarn is heavy or sticky, it just goes over the forefinger and across the palm, with all the other fingers curled in a relaxed position over it.

purplravioli
04-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Over my left forefinger, under the middle finger, over the ring finger, under the pinky. No wraps around anything. If I want to tighten the tension I just press the pinky down on the yarn. If I want to loosen it, I just lift it a bit.

If the yarn is heavy or sticky, it just goes over the forefinger and across the palm, with all the other fingers curled in a relaxed position over it.

Thanks so much! This helped me a lot.
I just knit a few rows using your method, and I had no problems at all with keeping the yarn the right tension.

OffJumpsJack
04-10-2009, 01:00 PM

Hey! That's the same way I hold my yarn. It was the method I was taught when I learned to crochet (way back in the dark ages :wink:).

For me the pinky wrap I learned from Amy's videos here on KH kept my yarn at a tight tension and I had trouble getting the needles into the stitches. When I tried my 'crochet' style finger weave I quite quickly achieved an even and 'just right' tension.

It is nice to find others using the same method of holding the yarn. I was beginning to thing it was 'sign' that I was a crocheter trying to knit. :oo: :roflhard:

Simply_Renee
04-11-2009, 01:40 AM
Hey, that's how I do it too!

I do wrap once around the pinky for some yarns, but usually not. The even tension will come with time, keep at it!