PDA

View Full Version : Garter Stripe Square Bag

AngieLanigan
04-10-2009, 11:05 AM
There isn't really a pattern for this bag. It's essentially 22 garter stripe squares, seamed together in a very clever way. You can see the layout of the squares to form a bag on Ishi's Ravelry Project Page (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ishi/garter-stripe-square-bag) (it's her design).

I made mine from Briggs & Little Heritage 100% wool in Light Gray and Dark Gray. I used about 3/4 of a skien of the light, and a full skien plus a little bit of a 2nd skien of the dark (for the straps).

My squares, I CO 17 sts on size 8 needles and made 17 stripes/garter ridges (34 rows, with the CO and BO considered rows). I added 2 rows of crochet along the opening edge to give it more definition. To add the straps, I picked up and knit a 6 stitch I-Cord.

I added the fabric lining (serious on the outside, a party on the inside! LOL), machine sewed together/seamed and then hand stitched into the bag. There's a hidden magnetic clasp behind the lining to keep the bag closed (otherwise I found it sagged open a bit).

I don't have a hot water hook up in my washer, so I felted it by hand in my kitchen sink. It felted up well, but didn't shrink enough for my taste... so I stuck it in the dryer while still damp and prayed LOL It worked, though. After about 15 minutes it had shrunk to the perfect size and was dry, to boot!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/AngieLuvBug/purse2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/AngieLuvBug/purse1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/AngieLuvBug/purse3.jpg

Jan in CA
04-10-2009, 11:08 AM
That's a great bag! Love the colors you chose for it!

I bet you could do this with garterlac (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/garterlac-dishcloth) (entrelac in garter) and save the seaming.:thumbsup:

GirlChris
04-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Wow, great job, that bag is wonderful! :yay:

AngieLanigan
04-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Hey, that entrelac is so cool! It makes my head hurt a bit trying to figure out how to put it together in the right pattern of squares, though LOL Gosh, that would be clever.... maybe I'll try and figure it out. I put the pattern in my faves to look at more closely at some point. Thanks!

ArtLady1981
04-10-2009, 04:11 PM
This is really WONDERFUL! I followed the Rav links, and my o my...this is one GREAT BAG. You can do so much to modify it by the pattern you use, and the materials!

Way to go! You are a knitting goddess!!

margz3
04-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Angie - I totally LOVE it!! Yours came out just great .... and I love the party on the inside ;) Thanks so much for posting the link!

Ronda
04-10-2009, 05:41 PM
I LOVE that bag!!

Slim
04-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Ooh, I love it! Very nice.

YarnKitten
04-11-2009, 12:13 AM
Oh, it looks wonderful! Will you bring it to the next meeting to show people? :3

wezyus
04-11-2009, 09:53 AM
wonderful job n wel done

Woodi
04-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Oooh, it's gorgeous. I would love one just like it. I usually always buy red bags, so am loving the red trim you chose. Wish you lived closer and I could join your knitting group.

WandaT
04-13-2009, 06:53 AM
Way Way Way cool!!!! Great job! Thanks for the link - I'm off to check Ravelry!!! LOL

MerigoldinWA
04-13-2009, 07:09 AM
I thought it was entralac. You mean you had to sew all that together? Sounds like a bit of work. :-) It turned out beautifully. I love the lining.

AngieLanigan
04-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks so so much, everyone!

This is really WONDERFUL! I followed the Rav links, and my o my...this is one GREAT BAG. You can do so much to modify it by the pattern you use, and the materials!

Way to go! You are a knitting goddess!!

Wow, thank you! That is a huge compliment coming from you, I really admire your work!

Oh, it looks wonderful! Will you bring it to the next meeting to show people? :3

Thanks! I actually had it with me last week, but I'll bring it again next month :)

Oooh, it's gorgeous. I would love one just like it. I usually always buy red bags, so am loving the red trim you chose. Wish you lived closer and I could join your knitting group.

Thanks! The one with the red trim isn't mine... you're looking at Ishi's work in those Ravelry photos. She's the original designer :)

I thought it was entralac. You mean you had to sew all that together? Sounds like a bit of work. :-) It turned out beautifully. I love the lining.

Yes, I sewed it all together. It wasn't too bad. I normally find seaming & weaving to be very mindless and relaxing, but I'll admit to being tired of by the end of this one LOL I'd never heard of entrelac until this thread, actually.

Debbie
04-13-2009, 08:54 AM
I love it! Were you able to print the page from Ravelry with the pictures? I can't seem to print it to use as a "pattern" ... I can't wait to start my squares :)

AngieLanigan
04-13-2009, 08:56 AM
I just copied/pasted the photos I needed to show how it goes together, plus Ishi's basic directions, onto a Word document and printed it out that way.

What yarn/colours are you using?

Debbie
04-13-2009, 09:08 AM
I have to look in my stash ... I have lots of Patons Merino (my favorite felting yarn) and will use a dark color and off white ... I do like the black and white ... One more question ... what size does the bag "end up" ? I love the way it "shapes" at the bottom. Also, how did you seam together ... mattress stitch ? ... you did such a good job it looks like one piece of fabric!

I like to seam and weave, too. :)

AngieLanigan
04-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Mine ended up about 14" side to side at the widest point, and about 12" from the bottom to where the strap starts. It's not super-felted, I'm sure I could have gotten it smaller, but it's about the size I was trying for.

I don't know if there's a term for how I seamed it up, I just used some of the yarn ends and "sewed" it. I was more worried about it being secure, figuring the felting and the lining inside would hide any imperfections in the seaming.

Glad I'm not the only one who likes to seam and weave, most knitters look or act as though I'm nutty for finding it relaxing LOL

dustinac
04-14-2009, 09:10 AM
ohh love that bag, great job :inlove:

lulubell
04-14-2009, 11:59 PM
That is one cool bag!!

Debbie
04-20-2009, 10:35 PM
OH MAN .... I got all my squares made , stitched up flat ... and started putting the sides together and I have sewed something somewhere that it does not belong ....uggggggg to taking out seams, and I wove ends in ssoooooo meticulously ... I am so not a puzzle put togetherer... I should have pinned it first !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mine is olive green and off white ... I would take a picture, but I would probably mess that up too. I KNOW BETTER than to try to do more than garter stitch rows after 9 pm .... oh well, I will think about it tomorrow.

knittwitt
04-21-2009, 12:44 AM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh WOW!!!! This is awesome!!!! VERY NICE WORK, inside and out!

AngieLanigan
04-21-2009, 08:33 AM
OH MAN .... I got all my squares made , stitched up flat ... and started putting the sides together and I have sewed something somewhere that it does not belong ....uggggggg to taking out seams, and I wove ends in ssoooooo meticulously ... I am so not a puzzle put togetherer... I should have pinned it first !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mine is olive green and off white ... I would take a picture, but I would probably mess that up too. I KNOW BETTER than to try to do more than garter stitch rows after 9 pm .... oh well, I will think about it tomorrow.

:roflhard:

I'm Sooooo laughing with you (not at you), because I did the exact same thing when trying to put the sides together! You should have seen me. My bag was all lopsided, and I'm sitting there, twisting it this way and that, trying to figure out which of the side seams I stitched up incorrectly so that I wouldn't have to just start randomly unseaming :eyes: :roflhard:

I hope you'll take photos when it's done, I'd love to see it. The colours sound gorgeous!

Debbie
04-21-2009, 02:01 PM
so .... how exactly did you decide which seams to un-do :)
When I get home from school, I am going to try to lay it out and see which ones are wrong.... I was SO SURE i was following the picture! I did put a marker into the two bottom right squares ... so maybe I will start there !

AngieLanigan
04-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Honestly, I'm not really sure! I think I sewed up an extra seam on one side, and it ended up making the whole thing lopsided.

If I were to do it again, I think while it was laid out flat I'd tie little matching coloured bits of yarn where they're supposed to attach together, per Ishi's diagram.

Woodi
05-01-2009, 06:47 AM
Wouldn't it be great if someone could do a short tutorial, maybe with paper or fabric squares, to show us "geometrically-challenged" knitters how to put it together?

anyone, anyone? <hint hint>

GinnyG
05-01-2009, 09:32 AM
CUTE CUTE CUTE!

Debbie
05-01-2009, 12:08 PM
I just felted mine this morning and it stayed SO TRUE TO SHAPE .. I am loving this bag. Will go up and take picture as soon as the dishes are done :)
I am working on a second bag ... I will try to document putting it together ... then post ... IF I GET IT RIGHT :)

Simply_Renee
05-01-2009, 01:10 PM
That looks so cool! Great choice on the lining- very fun!

AngieLanigan
05-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Debbie, I can't wait to see yours all finished!

Dimpledapple
05-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Your bags are so cute!! The lining is great -- a cheerful surprise on the inside!

knittingymnast
05-02-2009, 12:18 PM
I just love that pattern! Wonderful job on that! :inlove:

Debbie
05-03-2009, 07:44 AM
I love this bag! It felts into such a wonderful shape! Here is mine in "grass" ?? and off white Patons Merino.... my favorite wool yarn for felting.
I got the leather handles last week in Atlanta at Stitches South ... which is a whole other post, a very long one. They have a web-site if anyone is interested.... all kinds of handles and purse hardware.
Anyway, there was not enough waxed linen thread to finish all the sewing, and I got one handle crooked, so I have taken them off and will get more thread today and do a better job of putting them on ... but I could not wait to share.
Thank you SO MUCH Angie for sharing yours !

AngieLanigan
05-03-2009, 07:50 AM
I don't see a photo, Debbie!

Debbie
05-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Hi Angie ! I forgot to put the photo in , and could not make it work with editing .... so .... here they are :)

Debbie
05-03-2009, 08:00 AM
I don't like how the handle turns out (top right) so took them off to re-do. The leather is sort of stiff and I didn't make sure the two X's were straight up and down when I sewed it. ... the buttons are to keep the threads from pulling through, there are two buttons for each X .. ( which would make 8 buttons ) I am thinking about only using the button on the bottom X so they won't be so close to the top and going inside the lining for the top one and putting some kind of fabric as the stabilizer for the top one ... or ... finding some smaller buttons.

AngieLanigan
05-03-2009, 05:27 PM
I love it! I commented in your other thread (it totally deserves it's own thread, it's beautiful!)

dturner
05-03-2009, 05:32 PM
That's a very cool bag! I love the colors and the lining, too.

mare-nitt
05-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Wow, these bags are great, I love both of them. They look classy and fun.