PDA

View Full Version : Double Pointed Needle knitting trouble

Nenwing
04-10-2009, 09:02 PM
I have an issue that keeps happening when I knit with double pointed needles (to make say like gloves). For the most part it goes okay, but at the ends of the needles where the last stitch is before you move to the next needle, when I knit/purl that last stitch on the dpn it just about always is kind of loose and sloppy, even though I do my best to knit/purl it real tight to try and prevent this. Sometimes it is even visible down the rows that that last stitch is looser than the others. I don't know how to get around this, am I doing something wrong?

Gertie
04-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Try placing a marker where the round begins (if needed) & then after finishing a needle, knit 1 or 2 sts off the next needle to move where the needle change is. Then begin knitting onto the new empty needle.

Hope this helps. Have a blessed Easter weekend.

cacunn
04-10-2009, 10:59 PM
I have found that the tension of the last stitch on a needle is controlled more by the second stitch on the next needle than the first on the next needle. The friction of the first stitch on the next needle is not enough the hold the weight of the previous needle, but the friction of the first two stitches is enough. so pull the first stitch tight but then also pull the second stitch tigh also.

Jan in CA
04-11-2009, 12:48 AM
Those are called ladders.

If you are knitting something that will not be reversed or flipped up like a hat brim or sleeve cuff AND you are knitting in the round you can try my method. I had a hard time with this very problem so I figured out a way to do it so that the outside looks perfect. The inside has twisted stitches which is why you can't flip the edge.
http://knittingandmore.blogspot.com/

Also try holding the needles together more at the joins...the one you just crossed and the one you are coming to. It feels awkward, but it really does help.

Practice is the best way to improve it so keep at it!:thumbsup:

Nenwing
04-11-2009, 02:03 AM
Thank you for the advice!
Jan you have a beautiful blog! I think I will give several of these methods a try. That first stitch is always so loose. I tend to have the one dpn resting on top of the dpn I just finished knitting from (think like Lincoln logs in a way), and maybe this is causing extra looseness? So its laddering that is happening, gah! Well I feel better knowing it is a common issue, and its not just me!