PDA

View Full Version : I'm happy for my friend :)

Songbirdy
04-11-2009, 08:18 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3396/3432970430_9c510fa63c.jpg

Okay, aren't these fun?

On day I was at my LYS for a sit n' knit. And they liked my stitch markers, some gifted to me by some one here, and some I had made with my beading friend's help. Later the owner asked if I could get my friend to her store so she could order some as I wasn't willing to make them.

So... I got to be a model, rather my knitting did! :) it was fun, lol.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3345/3432942102_e78b226a3c.jpg

I can't tell you when you could buy these, so don't ask... this particular set is mine as a gift for the modeling I had to do. It was painful... I think I should have received at least one other set ;)

[its On Your Toes Bamboo on US 1/2.25 mm, 5 stitch pattern from Sensational knitted socks, worked over 60 sts toe up, on HiyaHiyas, Magic loop]

Jan in CA
04-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Those are cute! I've made a few, but they look like crap because I can't get the wire wrapped nicely around like that! :doh:

ArtLady1981
04-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Jan, here are a couple tips that I discovered at the school of hard knocks! Yeah, the hard way!

1) use sterling silver head pins
2) use 3" head pins

Sterling cooperates more easily, it's more malleable...and the 3" length gives you more to hang on to as you wrap. Whatever you clip off, save. You can turn it in for money eventually.

I have a little altoids can full of ss snippets.

ArtLady1981
04-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Songbirdy!

Beautiful stitch markers! I'll bet they aren't too heavy either!

My daughter and I went to the BEAD FAIRE yesterday, at the Tacoma Exhibition Hall. Oy. So many booths I didn't even hit them all!

I bought some new beads for new stitch markers. Like I need more! :doh:
They are addicting little projects! I love 'em!

I went to the bead show to find 14kt gold-filled closed jump rings and head pins. FOUND THEM after being bounced around from booth to booth about 10 times. "No, we don't have gold, but go over there, they might have gold..."

Anyway, after I found what I came for (the gold), I could relax and shop for things I didn't come for!

My daughter and I did pretty good at holding it down, but her 2 girlfriends bought bags and bags! One of the booths this year were offering 85% off. Another fine gems and stones booth was offering discounts up to 40%, and Tessa said he's NEVER EVER offered discounts in the past. She said she thinks it's the economy. A string of his pea-sized LAPIS beads were $186-$295. My eyes about fell out of the sockets! I said, "is this string 186 dollars?" He replied, "why yes, but I can discount that string by 40%"

Well, that isn't in my league either. I only need 10 beads for a set of markers, and the strings of beads must have 50. Oy.
But my price is more like $7 for a string! And I got 3 strings of round stone beads for $7 each, and they're just beautiful!

Almost every booth was advertising discounts 20%-50%. I got my gold stuff for 20%. I bought just the amount I needed, no more.
12 rings and 12-3" head pins.

mathwizard
04-12-2009, 08:32 AM
I think your markers are beautiful. I got some free one once with a magazine I bought from the bookstore and it was from England. They are beautiful purple hearts, a favorite color of mine but yours are BEAUTIFUL!

Songbirdy
04-13-2009, 10:56 AM
yes these are light stitch markers, and not too long either. Over the last 3 years I've been gifted with some real beauties and made some of my own. I've had a chance to try out loads of styles and I gave my friend some strong tips as to what I prefer. Yes, we went with the sterling silver but couldn't find closed jump rings at this time.

She mainly orders over Ebay and etsy.

I got some other beautiful markers made by someone here in a package I recieved just a while ago. I have to upload more pictures and then I can share those too :)

margz3
04-14-2009, 09:18 AM
They are very pretty! How nice for your friend! I have made a few myself - lots of fun! One thing I read about, which ArtLady mentions is to use the 3" sterling head pins, but I have had a hard time finding them, and have had to use the 2". I think it would be much easier with the 3". Must find a good bead shop......

Woodi
04-15-2009, 08:27 AM
Those are so pretty!

living in the backwoods of Canada as I do, I've never seen a 'bead faire'. I would prolly go mad with excitement if I ever attended one.

GirlChris
04-15-2009, 12:26 PM
what a great friend you are to recommend her and show off her work so well. They are beautiful, they put my little pink and blue circles to shame. LOL

knittingymnast
04-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Those are pretty! They really look good with the knitting LOL