PDA

View Full Version : knitting socks question?

pwilfort
04-12-2009, 12:10 AM
Hi

Can anyone knit a pair of socks in a weekend? My sister says no knitting socks will take at least 5 days but I say no some can make a pair in :knitting: a weekend.
Who's right?
Thanks Penney

Lady Violet
04-12-2009, 12:27 AM
It depends on a lot of things - personal knitting speed, how many hours a day you knit, complex pattern or plain vanilla, yarn weight.... I literally :happydance: just finished my very first sock in sport weight yarn. I started it Sunday at midnight, and finished it 18 minutes ago (Saturday at midnight). Kinda funny how it worked out that way. That's six days with at most a few hours of knitting each night. I used the Sell Your Sole Socks pattern (http://www.lectio.ca/images/sell_your_sole.pdf). Besides the cuff, gussets, and toe decreases, it's just plain knitting. I don't think that's too bad for my first sock ever, and I'm sure I'll get faster. :)

Jan in CA
04-12-2009, 12:29 AM
:think: This is an extremely tough question because there are so many variables. Socks can be different sizes and weights. If I were to knit adult socks with worsted weight I could probably do it if I spent most of the weekend waking hours knitting. I could never do adult fingering weight socks in a weekend. I did a pair of worsted weight baby socks in one day though last week.

biztec
04-12-2009, 07:52 AM
Hi

Can anyone knit a pair of socks in a weekend? My sister says no knitting socks will take at least 5 days but I say no some can make a pair in :knitting: a weekend.
Who's right?
Thanks Penney
I did my first pair in a weekend, but they were from a generic pattern and I used chunky yarn and larger needles.

mathwizard
04-12-2009, 08:27 AM
I suppose it could be done if you have enough time to devote to it. I have a pair of socks on circular needles and have worked maybe four hours on them and are getting close to turning the heel. Doing one at a time I have never done but both together, yes.!:cheering:

cacunn
04-12-2009, 09:19 AM
I know a lady who says she can kint a pair of knee high kilt hose in three hours. However I understand she has been knitting quite a number of years. But, for the most of us there are so many factors it is hard to predict. Size of foot and pattern.

Good Luck let us know how it goes.

pwilfort
04-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Thank you everyone for your help!
Happy Easter!
Penney:muah: